Question of the Day - Monday, May 20, 2024

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's the last week of school! :woohoo:

Except DS will be doing summer school.... :cringe:

I had a silly conversation with a high school classmate the other day. He said that A1 does NOT go on steak and ketchup does not go on Cheesesteaks. I told him A1 goes on Meatloaf. He banished me from my own kitchen. Guess my kids and DH are on their own. :lol:

What do you put on dishes like Meatloaf that usually call for a sauce on top before baking? What do you put on your steaks? (Sorry to our Vegan/Vegetarian friends. Maybe you can tell us what you enjoy as an alternative and how to season it?)

I have to say; I like meatloaf more as an adult with my recipe than what I ate growing up. I use the leanest beef I can get; which makes a big difference to me and Worcestershire sauce in it. But putting A1 on it before baking just seals the deal. It compliments it way better than the standard ketchup I remember people using. BBQ sauce is acceptable; but A1 is just way better. A lot of dishes benefit from some vinegar; so a good vinegar based BBQ goes well on a lot of things too. A plain tomato sauce could work; but not ketchup...which is odd considering all the vinegar. :dunno:

For chicken dishes I guess I don't really have a favorite. A Brown Sugar based BBQ works well but so does Teriyaki or Hoisin sauce.

I don't usually use a sauce with steak unless it's this Vidalia onion version from a place near my Dad's house. It has the onion flavor but also a nice kick to it. I like to sauté onions and mushrooms in the pan before I cook the steak; which I lightly season with salt and pepper. If I have fresh garlic; that works too!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
(Sorry to our Vegan/Vegetarian friends. Maybe you can tell us what you enjoy as an alternative and how to season it?)
There really is no alternative to steak for vegetarians and honestly I don't miss it. Yes, they have cauliflower steak but I'd rather have other alternatives. My favorite being ethnic food which uses spices and seasonings.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
tomato sauce, A1,Worchesshire with parsley and other herbs. mix that up and place it on before
baking. keep some to make gravy

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My meatloaf is seasoned with garlic, onions and whatever spice I'm in the mood for with some BBQ sauce, again, whatever BBQ sauce is the one that's open in the fridge. Ketchup is too sweet for me.
I eat my steak with just some S&P, however if I'm in the mood to make it, I will eat it with a béarnaise.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ketchup on top of meatloaf before baking. A1 or the store brand of A1 on steak, just a tiny amount because I don't want to drown the flavor of the steak.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There really is no alternative to steak for vegetarians and honestly I don't miss it. Yes, they have cauliflower steak but I'd rather have other alternatives. My favorite being ethnic food which uses spices and seasonings.
I saw someone talking about grilling portobello mushrooms recently. I do love those so I’d imagine its good. But I don’t have the right mindset to see it as a meat alternative. I think its best when i just enjoy each food for what it is instead of trying to call it an alternative or substitute. Like i will eat cauliflower rice as cauliflower. But if I want rice; its not going to satisfy.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love portabella mushroom caps stuffed with other veggies or baby bellas on pizza. Some vegetarians don't like them because they think they smell like meat. Izzy also thinks they smell like meat.

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As far as I'm concerned, ketchup should be banned from the earth. I want nothing on either meatloaf or steak. Let the product stand or fall on it's own. Besides, the way I like steak- rare- it isn't so dried out that it needs anything.
I like A1 on a steak that I feel is overcooked, but I prefer steak rare (not medium rare, but rare). In that case, a dash of salt is all I need.
I don't make meatloaf because I don't really care for it, with the BIG exception of my Mom's. She makes it really, really well and she always gives me a piece or two when she makes one. I don't know exactly what she uses, but it's delicious.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meatloaf is probably the only thing I put a sauce on...most of the time I slather it with my favorite bbq sauce,but sometimes I'll put slices of bacon and then the sauce.I don't bake mine in a loaf pan so there's plenty of room to cover with the sauce.I make a steak sauce with bbq sauce,raspberry jam and smushed up jalapenos (I do remove the seeds as best I can) from a can of them in adobo(and I use some of the adobo too but don't tell hubby!),but we so rarely eat steak...it's also great with pork chops.We're not real fond of any kind of sauce on chicken.I just season mine with salt,pepper,garlic powder,chili powder and zaatar,and then bake.To die for!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I eat these a lot and several restaurants nearby serve them as a "burger". I don't use ketchup or A1.
I’m going to have to try it sometime. Just not when I’m actually craving beef! :lol: I usually save that for eating out anyway.
like A1 on a steak that I feel is overcooked, but I prefer steak rare (not medium rare, but rare). In that case, a dash of salt is all I need.
It does taste different doesn’t it? My mom liked to put steak under the broiler to get crispy edges. (We probably couldn’t afford good cuts back then either.) Knowing what I know now; that probably left it overcooked. I always thought steak was hard to chew and it didn’t like it. DH is very particular about things being cooked thoroughly. But I think my favorite is medium to just a little pink. Now when we eat out on a real date night I’m over here ordering a steak & ribs with mushrooms and onions and whatever side veggies sound good. And he has a salad with chicken tenders or maybe salmon. :lol: I asked him how come it looks like I eat like a man and he eats like a woman? 🤪 At least i bring half or more home. But im gonna savor a good steak!!

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing on top of my meatloaf. After it’s cooked some ketchup on the side for dipping if I so choose to.
I’m a steak purist, only salt and pepper and grill until between rare and med rare, warm red center.