Obsessive sucking on tail

skunkwerks1949

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I adopted 2 kittens from the local humane society 4 months ago. Sadly, we had to put one down due to FIP. I have noticed an odd and disturbing behavior in my little girl. She has started obsessively sucking on her tail when we try to pet her, hold her, or even play with her. Now I understand that this is common in kittens who were separated from their mother too soon.

It was kind of cute at first, but I am beginning to be concerned. She instantly curls up to suck her tail when we pet her. I have tried to replace her tail with a toy or towel, but she will fight you off, sometimes getting violent and biting to get to her tail. I have tried to hold her tail and prevent her from getting to it, which resulted in a pretty hard bite. I tried using some apple bitter, but she just powered through, making faces and shaking her head, but was not deterred. She also sucks and kneads her paws when going to sleep.

Now I wouldn't be concerned if it was just a comfort thing, but she HAS to have her tail. It's obsessive and she bites and scratches when she can't get it. She also has began to suck the hair off of the tip. It is nearly bare. I don't know what to do, especially when she does it any time we give her attention, and turns mean when we try to intervene. Has anyone experienced this? Suggestions?

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might be comforting herself after the loss of the other kitten. I'm so sorry to hear about that. I don't think there is anything you can do to stop it. My cat likes to curl on my lap and nurse his tail too. He purrs really loud and looks very happy and content. He nuzzles me and then falls asleep. He was also seperated from his mother too young as a stray. He still does it everyday,but not as much as when he was a little kitten. She might do it less when she is older. I wouldn't try to get her to stop. It's just upsets her and she's going to do it anyway. I wouldn't worry about it. She probably feels comfortable with you like she did with her mom when she was a baby and that is a good thing.