My cat is a psycho? Help!

flspinel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a 26 year old female who adopted a kitten of her own. I have had cats as pets since I was 24.. none of them prepared me for Ravioli, LOL.

I adopted a kitten back in November and he will be 9 months old, April 4. He has been great, when he acts "normal", very loving and caring. BUT, he gets these moments of insanity, where he will viciously attack me, whether I am working, hanging out, etc. and he does NOT stop. He gets really scary honestly. He gets this crazy look in his eyes, they go all black, his ears go back and he looks at me like I am prey almost.. he draws blood, will scratch and bite the crap out of me. I know, this sounds dramatic, but I have had cats my entire life and have never had this happen. I love my baby, Ravioli, so much but I need to figure out how to calm him down when he gets like this. Yes, I know he is a kitten and is supposed to have a lot of energy, but he is up 18 out of the 24 hours a day, attacks and destroys everything and he even attacks doorways? He attacks and climbs them!! I just chalk all of that up to him having a very outgoing yet mischievous personalty, that I ADORE more than anything. I just want the psychotic attacks to stop. I have 21 month old nephew and I don't want him to start doing that to him also.
Any input is great!
He is well fed, very loved and well taken care of. He has a clean bill of health and everything! I am assuming it could be anxiety because he was taken away from his mother so young and cannot tell the difference between playing or attacking?

Or am I being dramatic? LMAO. Thanks in advance!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flspinel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I meant to say 4 years old, don't know how to edit, so I made a new post, and cannot now delete this one.. sorry for the double posting!!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only problem with maggie101 maggie101 's otherwise excellent article is that it does not include play aggression, and its possible that is what this is. The young age, general fondness for you, generally crazy high activity level, and lack of true aggression signals such as growling all suggest it could be play aggression. On the other hand, your description does sound a bit on the extreme side for play aggression, so I'm obvioiusly not certain!

If its play aggression, a loud "no!" often works. If not, you can try firmly holding the cat in place by holding down by the scruff and above the hindquarters. The idea there is to make it not fun. Additionally, here is an article: How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a 26 year old female who adopted a kitten of her own. I have had cats as pets since I was 24.. none of them prepared me for Ravioli, LOL.

I adopted a kitten back in November and he will be 9 months old, April 4. He has been great, when he acts "normal", very loving and caring. BUT, he gets these moments of insanity, where he will viciously attack me, whether I am working, hanging out, etc. and he does NOT stop. He gets really scary honestly. He gets this crazy look in his eyes, they go all black, his ears go back and he looks at me like I am prey almost.. he draws blood, will scratch and bite the crap out of me. I know, this sounds dramatic, but I have had cats my entire life and have never had this happen. I love my baby, Ravioli, so much but I need to figure out how to calm him down when he gets like this. Yes, I know he is a kitten and is supposed to have a lot of energy, but he is up 18 out of the 24 hours a day, attacks and destroys everything and he even attacks doorways? He attacks and climbs them!! I just chalk all of that up to him having a very outgoing yet mischievous personalty, that I ADORE more than anything. I just want the psychotic attacks to stop. I have 21 month old nephew and I don't want him to start doing that to him also.
Any input is great!
He is well fed, very loved and well taken care of. He has a clean bill of health and everything! I am assuming it could be anxiety because he was taken away from his mother so young and cannot tell the difference between playing or attacking?

Does he have a cat tower? Or a slanted or square scratch post? Cats love to stretch. My cats like corrugated cardboard,not sisal

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
I seem to be reading more and more of these types of stories. I'm not at all sure what's going on with our feline buddies but in any case, try filling a metal can with some coins. Then when you see him get that look, give the can a really hard noisy shake and say "NO!!"
He needs to learn you're not fair game--you could also try a loud hiss, which is what his mama would do.
Hang in there!

flspinel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does he have a cat tower? Or a slanted or square scratch post? Cats love to stretch. My cats like corrugated cardboard,not sisal
He has a tower that has a scratch post, a card board textured one and a bunch of toys I leave out everywhere, everyday!

flspinel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The only problem with maggie101 maggie101 's otherwise excellent article is that it does not include play aggression, and its possible that is what this is. The young age, general fondness for you, generally crazy high activity level, and lack of true aggression signals such as growling all suggest it could be play aggression. On the other hand, your description does sound a bit on the extreme side for play aggression, so I'm obvioiusly not certain!

If its play aggression, a loud "no!" often works. If not, you can try firmly holding the cat in place by holding down by the scruff and above the hindquarters. The idea there is to make it not fun. Additionally, here is an article: How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
I do a firm "NO!" but he doesn't listen! I will definitely check out this article though, thank you!

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old was it when taken from the mother? Kittens taken away too young may not have learned correct play.
Is the cat getting enough active play time with you? Toys aren’t enough. Break out a lazer light and make that kitty run.
Stimulation? Can the cat get to different window views? See birds? Get up high, or alternatively hide away unseen?
My little guy was getting a mean streak. He chilled when I got him harness walking. I don’t know if it was getting him outside, or just stimulated.

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it’s somewhat worse than I’m understanding and other interventions don’t work, you may be able to talk with your vet about medication. To be clear, that would be if you suspect the cat’s behavior stems from a mental health issue not exuberant cat play or bad habits.

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

Any input is great!

When my cat Maggie was 3 months she sometimes acted psycho, usually while I was off doing something else in my apartment instead of being her 24/7 playmate. She would splat her paws on a corner,act psycho,eyes wild, shake her head,chase her tail,run around all over my apt,meow loudly. Also had a ripple rug but decided I do not have room for it. Only one of my 3 cats liked lasers
20200320_112425.jpg
light. Trixie puzzles my cats enjoy
20200320_112425.jpg

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am I the only mean person that growls at their cat when I’m really angry at him? (Usually for running off in his harness past the curb and then refusing to walk back.) When he started walking I stopped growling and praise him when he gets back to my porch. I just keep a much closer eye on him outside but I have growled at him. He knows my past pppossst ppssst means back away from the door, so he doesn’t fear it. The penny can didn’t work on him but clapping my hands does..... I just try to avoid clapping because it hurts my hands.

So when you see your cat hunting you, try tossing small toys (from your pocket) or a kicker toy away from you..... then playing with him using wand toys. Daily play times at the same time every day will help him to. If he attacks you I would do thd growl or a very high pitch loud wailing oooooowwwwwwww then ignore him for 5 minutes. When his attacks get less aggressive you can take the volume down on the high pitch owwww. However every time you get fang or claw he needs the ow or no .... whichever one you use.

He is neutered, correct? If not, neuter him ASAP.

flspinel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old was it when taken from the mother? Kittens taken away too young may not have learned correct play.
Is the cat getting enough active play time with you? Toys aren’t enough. Break out a lazer light and make that kitty run.
Stimulation? Can the cat get to different window views? See birds? Get up high, or alternatively hide away unseen?
My little guy was getting a mean streak. He chilled when I got him harness walking. I don’t know if it was getting him outside, or just stimulated.
OOHH taking him outside seems like a good idea!!! I will have to try! he has a bunch of toys, windows on all three floors of my townhouse that he has access to, and a lot of other stimulating toys. I should try a laser & taking him outside. He was born August 4 and saved by the SPCA late September. He came from a bad home that let him get really bad eye infections (that have been treated and cured) and infested with fleas. So he was about a month and a half old when taken into SPCA custody!

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OOHH taking him outside seems like a good idea!!! I will have to try! he has a bunch of toys, windows on all three floors of my townhouse that he has access to, and a lot of other stimulating toys. I should try a laser & taking him outside. He was born August 4 and saved by the SPCA late September. He came from a bad home that let him get really bad eye infections (that have been treated and cured) and infested with fleas. So he was about a month and a half old when taken into SPCA custody!

flspinel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If it’s somewhat worse than I’m understanding and other interventions don’t work, you may be able to talk with your vet about medication. To be clear, that would be if you suspect the cat’s behavior stems from a mental health issue not exuberant cat play or bad habits.
I really don't believe it is mental health, I truly think he doesn't know how to differentiate play/ attack and letting out all of his energy! But i will talk to his vet as well :)

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My advice here is to create a ritual around going outside. Like he goes into a carrier to go out or has to be carried out. Something so he doesn’t necessarily associate the door with going out. Door dashing is also a habit you don’t want starting.

flspinel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My advice here is to create a ritual around going outside. Like he goes into a carrier to go out or has to be carried out. Something so he doesn’t necessarily associate the door with going out. Door dashing is also a habit you don’t want starting.
Do you have any advice/ recommendations? He has already been very curious and tries to leave when the door is open all the time.