indoor only cat got out!

giedre11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello to all, have been doing a lot of reading here just not posting much. I have a problem with one of my cats as she got outside and she is only an indoor cat. I have noted that she is staying around the house but only coming out at night. While calling for her in a calm voice, she ran out right in front of me but did not stop!. She goes in an area where there are a lot of brambles and I just cannot get to her. I come so close at times but she still just runs away? Has anyone had any experience like this and how did you get your cat back? I will be forever grateful for any advice. Thanks.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What motivates her? Play? Food? Cuddles? I'd recommend doing what she loves most to tempt her. If it's cuddles, sit near the brambles for a while (read a book or whathaveyou) and see if she'll come out.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We keep a small pet shelter outside our back door just for the purpose.

It's just one of those cheap, plastic things you buy from Walmart but it serves its purpose. If, ever, one of our cats gets out they have a place to go and hide out until one of us humans can bring them back in. We keep an old blanket inside for them to keep them warm if they need it.

If one of the cats gets out, we can put a container of the cats' used litter nearby. The scent will let them know where home is. A fresh blanket from indoors or a piece of worn, unwashed clothing like a T-shirt will also give them scent cues. We can also put out a dish of food or some kitty treats.

We, sometimes, find one of the neighbor cats hanging out in the pet shelter when the weather gets crummy. Occasionally, we'll find a opossum in there, too. (Opossum are mostly harmless. We don't mind, much.) Just make sure you don't put food out unless it's needed. That way you won't attract stray cats or other unwanted critters.

Your cat might not know that there's a shelter to hide out in but it still wouldn't hurt to put something out where your cat can find it. A cardboard box with a hole cut in the side would make a good temporary shelter. Put a blanket or some unwashed clothes inside for scent cues. Leave out a small dish of food or kitty treats. Scoop out some litter from the litter box and leave some of it outside, too.

When a cat suddenly gets separated from its home territory it will often go into a kind of "survival mode" where it might not recognize its humans. If you can, somehow, lead them back to their own territory the homing instinct might kick in and the cat will, hopefully, want to come back inside where it's safe and cozy.

Fingers crossed! 🤞
Thoughts and prayers!🙏

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello to all, have been doing a lot of reading here just not posting much. I have a problem with one of my cats as she got outside and she is only an indoor cat. I have noted that she is staying around the house but only coming out at night. While calling for her in a calm voice, she ran out right in front of me but did not stop!. She goes in an area where there are a lot of brambles and I just cannot get to her. I come so close at times but she still just runs away? Has anyone had any experience like this and how did you get your cat back? I will be forever grateful for any advice. Thanks.
I had the same problem when Oscar (former street cat, now indoor cat) escaped a few weeks back. He point blank refused to come in. We had to trap him. We did have a trap but it was broken so we had to buy a new one. Got one from Amazon for under £50. We finally caught our boy after 4 days of the trap being out. We baited the trap with tinned tuna but it was a piece of home cooked ham that Oscar couldn't resist and he went in the trap.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
We’ve had a few members who have successfully trapped indoor only escaped pets by using a standard feral cat trap. If she is hanging around your house, this may be the best option to try. As was suggested use some very appealing food, no matter what that would be, as it’s not going to be her diet for the rest of her life. I always use Kentucky Fried Chicken. If you don’t have a trap, you may be able to get one from a local Humane Society for an inexpensive rental charge

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We’ve had a few members who have successfully trapped indoor only escaped pets by using a standard feral cat trap. If she is hanging around your house, this may be the best option to try. As was suggested use some very appealing food, no matter what that would be, as it’s not going to be her diet for the rest of her life. I always use Kentucky Fried Chicken. If you don’t have a trap, you may be able to get one from a local Humane Society for an inexpensive rental charge
Was just going to recommend this. Beat me to it. Good luck getting your cat back OP.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

giedre11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to thank all of you for your replies. I was worried sick as I knew my escaped cat recognized me but would not come to me. I did put a litter tray outside along with some of my "used" clothes. It has been raining here a lot and so the frogs have gotten quite loud at night! I was afraid I would not hear her meows when I called but eventually I did. I saw her and began talking to her non stop. She slowly came up to me, but would back away before I could get her. Keeping on talking to her she eventually came up to me and I did get hold of her and brought her in. She seemed very tired and just lay down on the floor. I think she was relieved to be inside. She did sleep with me and has pretty much stayed by my side. I checked her out and she seems ok. Thank you all very much!

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yaaaay! I'm so glad you got her back in!!! Maybe the rain was just too much or the frogs put her over the edge. 😆 She might have an appetite to go outside more, so watch her close!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might have an appetite to go outside more, so watch her close!
Not long after we adopted him, our cat, Casper, got out. He slipped out the door while his Girl-Human was coming back in from getting the mail or something. It was cold and snowy, outside. The cat got about two feet past the front stoop, stopped to look around and noticed the weather. Casper's Girl-Human was able to corral him back inside without much effort. Since that day, Casper decided that he'd rather be indoors where it's warm and comfy. He hardly even looks at the door, nowadays.

There was one time when I was upstairs doing something and came down to the living room to find the sliding patio screen open by about two feet. Casper was laying right by the threshold, literally inches from freedom, watching the birds and squirrels like there was nothing wrong! It was a nice, summer day. He could have easily walked right out the door and nobody would have known!

I think Casper knows which side of his bread has the butter on it! ;)