11 week old kitten, no appetite and intermittent fever.

aelu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
7 years ago I posted about my kitten Leia who passed away from neurological FIP. It was a slow, painful process that involved weekly vet visits and lots of ups and down. To this day it is still one of the worst things I've ever experienced.

1.5 months ago, I rescued a bottle baby kitten and she is 11 weeks old today. She's had her first round of shots 10 days ago and she is an indoor kitten and the only other cat in the house. For the past few days, she has had intermittent fever and no appetite. She's still playful but sleeping most of the day. No diarrhea.
I just returned from the vet and they were able to bring her fever down and did some bloodwork -- it was inconclusive. With no fever anymore, she immediately ate and has been running around like her old self again, but I fear that it will come back when the meds run out. They prescribed antibiotics for 7 days hoping to knock out whatever may have been causing her fever.

I've been without sleep for 4 days... mainly because my new kitten acts very much like Leia did in the early stages and I'm terrified to go through that again with her. So my question is, has anyone had a young kitten get fever off and on that eventually resolved on its own? After a round of antibiotics? Just want to calm my mind and soul. Can't bear to lose another little girl.

Also, I'm aware there is a cure for FIP these days, and that makes me so happy for all the cats that survived it.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, there is a cure now, which is wonderful! I don't know how expensive it will be once it is on the market, but am hoping the price comes down substantially. But just knowing it'll soon be more readily available is thrilling.

When you said the bloodwork was inconclusive, were they specifically zeroing in on FIP? I certainly understand your mind going right there because of your experience with Leia, but that doesn't mean it's happening again. I would think it could be so many different things.

Let's just hope the round of antibiotics kicks whatever is wrong and the fever stays away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aelu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you for your words!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aelu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After the shot that brought her fever down wore off, she is back to having a fever again. She shivers a lot as well. She ate in the morning but hasn't eaten since. I hope its just a viral infection that she has to fight off on her own, but she's had a fever for almost 1 week now. Isn't that too long?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If the fever is recurring and her appetite is off, I would contact the vet. She is too young to be allowed to try to fight this off on her own.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I dont have good advices, but if you have access to raw goats milk, try with this... Cant hurt, may help, as it comes from an alive momma, and does contains some antibodies and such.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that a return visit to the vet is in order. She may need meds to bring her fever down so that she will be more comfortable and able to eat. I hope she improves soon!