Please Help - Cat Throwing Up Liquid

birdieandbags

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My cat threw up some of her kibble two days in a row, then today threw up a liquid, mostly clear. I tried to see if she would eat some kibble afterwards but she wasn't interested. I did give her half of a churu just to see if she would eat, and she did. I haven't noticed any real changes in her behavior. She's never had any other health problems, her stool looks normal, she is drinking water. What could this be??

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS, despite what brought you here. Lots of questions in order to see if any of us can help. How old is your cat, and when was her last vet checkup? Could her food be bad? Did she throw up immediately after eating, or was it hours later? When did she throw up the liquid - and could that have been from her not recently eating? What is her feeding schedule? A lot of cats will throw up liquid if stomach acids build up and cause irritation.

A lot more information would be very much appreciated.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like something upset her stomach (something she ate possibly, internal parasites, etc) and the initial vomiting probably irritated it and is causing continued nausea. When a cat vomits liquid it usually means their stomach is empty, which isn't ideal.
My Nocturne has IBD so she gets nauseous a lot. Cerenia is a life saver for us, as it removes the nausea and then she is happy to eat and doesn't vomit (which would re-irritate her stomach again).

Cats shouldn't go more than 48 hours without eating or they can go into liver failure which is very dangerous. If you can't get enough calories into her I would suggest asking a vet for anti-nausea medicine and an appetite stimulant. My Nocturne actually had to be hospitalized for this before she went onto Cerenia.

I hope she feels better soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

birdieandbags

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS, despite what brought you here. Lots of questions in order to see if any of us can help. How old is your cat, and when was her last vet checkup? Could her food be bad? Did she throw up immediately after eating, or was it hours later? When did she throw up the liquid - and could that have been from her not recently eating? What is her feeding schedule? A lot of cats will throw up liquid if stomach acids build up and cause irritation.

A lot more information would be very much appreciated.
Hi thanks for this - new to the forum so appreciate the insight. My cat is one years old. not immediately after eating. She free feeds 2/3 of a cup a day but typically does not eat the full amount. She threw up the liquid today and she did not eat today. Her last vet appointment was September of last year, she is up to date on all of her shots and such.
I’m hoping the churu helped and she is keeping it down, but I wonder if she just may have gotten into something she shouldn’t have.

I am going to call the vet tomorrow to schedule an appointment but I guess I’m more so concerned if this warrants an emergency vet visit.
Thanks again, really appreciate it.

birdieandbags

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like something upset her stomach (something she ate possibly, internal parasites, etc) and the initial vomiting probably irritated it and is causing continued nausea. When a cat vomits liquid it usually means their stomach is empty, which isn't ideal.
My Nocturne has IBD so she gets nauseous a lot. Cerenia is a life saver for us, as it removes the nausea and then she is happy to eat and doesn't vomit (which would re-irritate her stomach again).

Cats shouldn't go more than 48 hours without eating or they can go into liver failure which is very dangerous. If you can't get enough calories into her I would suggest asking a vet for anti-nausea medicine and an appetite stimulant. My Nocturne actually had to be hospitalized for this before she went onto Cerenia.

I hope she feels better soon!
Thank you for this! Super helpful information. I’ll keep an eye on her for tonight and schedule a vet appointment first thing in the morning if there’s no more throwing up. If she continues to throw up I’ll get her to emergency. Appreciate your insight!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If by chance she did get into something she shouldn't have, check around to see if you can find whatever that might be and remove it. Give her more Churu just to keep something in her stomach, Start over with a fresh batch of food, in case what you had sitting out has accumulated enough bacteria to pose a problem. Dry food that sits out long enough, or that you add more to without disposing of the old can collect saliva in it which can promote bacteria.

If she goes outside, I wouldn't let her do so again until you can see if there is something out there that she got into.

Unless she keeps throwing up and/or displays other signs that are problematic, I wouldn't consider this an ER vet visit.

birdieandbags

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE:
She did end up eating her kibble last night! She's drinking a normal amount of water, climbing around and being her usual self. Potential tummy ache that just needed to figure itself out? Either way, I told the vet if she spits up again today I'll bring her in. Otherwise, I think she's doing ok!