Miso is not eating

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So Miso had been eating bad for the entire week, like leaving one portion of her food out.
Since yesterday she has barely eaten anything. She only gets dry food because she has allergies but we added some water to make it soft just in case it's teeth problems. She barely eats that as well. We have also tried two different types to make sure it's not just a picky eater thing.
We suspect she might have a hairball stuck or teeth problems. Someone's coming to look at her teeth tomorrow and we'll also buy cat grass in case it's a hair ball that she can't throw up herself.
We gave her some of our fish today so she at least has some food in her stomach. She ate that without any issues so I wonder if it's not just a picky eater thing, which would be the worst combination with allergies.
But for now we are ignoring the allergies since we don't know what she's allergic to yet, we'd rather just have her eat well first.

Any tips for getting her to eat her food are welcome! The stores are closed because of a national holiday so that's why the best option was an uncrusted fish finger instead of actual wet food lol

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She has respiratory allergies? Is she congested? She able to smell? I had a cat with asthma who went off her food.

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
what kind of allergies? food allergies? seasonal allergies?
how is she breathing? if she is wheezing or making sounds when she breaths it might be an infection of some kind. These differences can be subtle...I didn't notice my cat was doing this but at a vet visit last week my vet noticed it immediately.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I too have questions. Is she on dry food only because it is a 'special' type diet for allergies in general? Most of the food for allergies also come in wet form too - so that is something to consider. The fact that she ate the fish probably rules out this being from a hairball, because why would she eat that if a hairball was bothering her from eating to begin with Has she had hairballs like this in the past? If so, how often?

How old is Miso, and when was her last vet exam with blood work? If not recently, you might want to have that done to see if anything shows up, especially if she is an older cat. I suspect the vet who will see her plans on doing more than just checking her teeth, so if there is something respiratory related, they should pick up on that.

There is really not enough information to be able to give much advice, so I am glad that Miso is going to be seen by a vetvery soon. In the meantime, maybe you can try some suggestions regarding foods to get her to eat from this TCS article.
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again - TheCatSite

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To clear up some things

It's definitely food allergies, we don't know exactly what the allergy is. Our suspected ingredients are chicken and grains. The only hypoallergenic wet food there is has to be ordered and can only be here in like a week so that's not great on the short term.

She's around 2 years old but we don't know for sure. She was found in a forest and we got her from the shelter. Her last vet visit was around 3 months ago when we got her.

She is breathing fine, yesterday she coughed a few times the way cats cough when they have hairballs. We have not seen her throw up at all yet since we have her and she is shedding pretty badly so that's why we think it might be a hairball.

After the fish she coughed a few times in the evening and then she went to go eat her dry food as if nothing has ever happened. Maybe it oiled up the hairball xD hope she stays that way throughout today. Someone will come look at her teeth today so that's good, and we'll buy some cat grass in case it's a stuck hairball.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It will be good to find out how are teeth are today.
As K Kris107 said allergies or asthma could also be an issue
My cat with asthma did not wheeze with asthma she coughed.
I thought initially that it was hairballs, but it evolved from very short episodes to longer episodes multiple times a day.She was definitely having an issue at that point. Had her to the vet twice before diagnosis.
She went completely off food.

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
So Miso had been eating bad for the entire week, like leaving one portion of her food out.
Since yesterday she has barely eaten anything. She only gets dry food because she has allergies but we added some water to make it soft just in case it's teeth problems. She barely eats that as well. We have also tried two different types to make sure it's not just a picky eater thing.
We suspect she might have a hairball stuck or teeth problems. Someone's coming to look at her teeth tomorrow and we'll also buy cat grass in case it's a hair ball that she can't throw up herself.
We gave her some of our fish today so she at least has some food in her stomach. She ate that without any issues so I wonder if it's not just a picky eater thing, which would be the worst combination with allergies.
But for now we are ignoring the allergies since we don't know what she's allergic to yet, we'd rather just have her eat well first.

Any tips for getting her to eat her food are welcome! The stores are closed because of a national holiday so that's why the best option was an uncrusted fish finger instead of actual wet food lol
How is she today? Has a vet checked her teeth? That was my first guess. when my cat gingivitis she slowly stopped eating, then, not at all.

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How is she today? Has a vet checked her teeth? That was my first guess. when my cat gingivitis she slowly stopped eating, then, not at all.
The gums by one of her pointy teeth (what are they called in English?) and her molars (is that what they are? I just realised I never talk about teeth in English lol) are red and irritated. So my vet friend will bring some toothpaste from work tomorrow so we can brush her teeth. She has eaten alright today, not everything but better than yesterday. I'll buy some cat grass for her tomorrow.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The gums by one of her pointy teeth (what are they called in English?) and her molars (is that what they are?
I think what you're referring to is called the "canine" tooth. They are sharp teeth used to grasp food. Glad to hear she's eating better today. 👍

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The gums by one of her pointy teeth (what are they called in English?) and her molars (is that what they are? I just realised I never talk about teeth in English lol) are red and irritated. So my vet friend will bring some toothpaste from work tomorrow so we can brush her teeth. She has eaten alright today, not everything but better than yesterday. I'll buy some cat grass for her tomorrow.
Gingivitis is an infection. She would need teeth cleaning or antibiotics. It will cause gums to be red. Maybe my vet also did an xray because she's 11 yrs old. Brushing teeth I never remember to do

Last edited:

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gingivitis is an infection. She would need teeth cleaning or antibiotics. It will cause gums to be red. Maybe my vet also did an xray because she's 11 yrs old. Brushing teeth I never remember to do
Ahh yes thanks I didn't know that word yet, you learn so much here. Miso is still pretty young and our vet friend said an x-ray is not necessary yet because of the slight redness. Tomorrow we will get the toothpaste so I'm curious what miso thinks. She is a very calm and sweet cat so I don't think it will be much of an issue.