Kitten Has Orange Diarrhea After Neuter

bricksquadbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two questions- is a loose, bright orange stool normal after neuter? And how long should he wear the cone?

My kitten was neutered today. I opted for the 72 hr - 2 extended release pain meds. He was also treated with Profender for possible tapeworms (he's asymptomatic but I keep finding pieces of worms) and treated with Advantage flea meds (they wouldn't treat him for worms without it.)

His energy levels are fine. i fed him less than a handful of food. (he was starving.. he wasn't allowed to eat after 9pm last night and i picked him up at like 5pm he even moved my hand out the way when i tried to adjust his food bowl lol)

He is actively trying to get the cone off and he got it off once.. he's running around playing but he just pooped(?) the a bright orange poop (i assume its poop because it smells AWFUL.. it could be new poop in his litter box causing that smell and the orange stuff is just vomit.)

Is this normal? Or is he ill? How can I make him hate the cone less? how long does he have to be in it- he is examining the orange matter in his box and got it on his cone.. it's becoming a gross mess.

CAUTION: Below is a picture of the waste.....
Thanks!!
28378292_10155414207066172_4961120061567817331_n.jpg

IMG_2081.JPG

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The orange stool could be the profender. I'd send the photo to your vet just to be on the safe side. The cone... I personally don't put cones on unless the cat is going after the wound. Not just a single lick but obsessive. I figure that less stressed over that thing means a quicker heal. But that's just me and it is better to follow vets advice. And if you do take it off you have to be hyper alert for infection or problems.

He is adorable by the way. :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bricksquadbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The orange stool could be the profender. I'd send the photo to your vet just to be on the safe side. The cone... I personally don't put cones on unless the cat is going after the wound. Not just a single lick but obsessive. I figure that less stressed over that thing means a quicker heal. But that's just me and it is better to follow vets advice. And if you do take it off you have to be hyper alert for infection or problems.

He is adorable by the way. :heartshape:
Thanks! he's the sweetest!!
I tried keeping him out of the cone but in the first 5 minutes I had to stop him 4 times from messing at it.... so I just wondered if there's an alternative.. he's walking backwards, constantly trying to get it off.. he can't eat or drink.. even with my accommodations to his food and water bowl.. but he is persistently messing with the surgery site.

Is that a normal side effect of Profender? He has never had a loose stool.. let alone bright orange.. I though it might be the anesthesia but I don't remember what the vet told me was normal after his surgery lol

Thanks!!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not a normal surgery thing based on my experience. Which is why I am thinking the dewormer. Although my girl had orange pooh when I got her from coloring in her cat food. But since it's a new thing I would think the profender. Your vet should be able to give a quick sanity check or let you know for sure.

Cones are fun. I had to put a cone on my rabbit and that lasted all of a night before we had to give him an alternative. For a rabbit that means a yoke but cats are a little more flexible. I think with my guys, I let them lightly groom to get the strange smell off and then stopped them any time they did more then normal cleaning. Males have relatively minor procedures and young kittens heal quickly. You could try a paper plate trimmed down, the flatter profile may be more comfortable. you can also trim down the plastic cone. Cones are for dogs and cats so they are usually designed with the longer dog snout in mind. My rainbow kitty had his own trimmed down and decorated one he needed it so much. We were able to cut it down to one inch longer then his muzzle and still accomplish the same goal of limiting grooming. So you could try trimming it a little at a time until it is long enough to do it's job but not quiet so long. You can also get inflatable cones that act more like a neck brace to limit self grooming without creating a visible barrier. Maybe people have reported success with those.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet if this is normal with Profender. If not, ask him/her about the possibility of either Coccidia or Giardia. Whenever I see the words..kitten..orange poop..smells awful.. describing something, that's the first red flag that pops up for me.

bricksquadbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is Coccidia or Giardia? Are those medications or ailments? Lol thanks!!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Aliments. Specifically bacteria in the digestive tract if I am remembering right. It's a good thought too. Checking with your vet to see if they have seen that reaction with the profender is still where I would start.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a nasty protozoa that kittens and immune deficient cats get. It's not a worm, but it is a parasite. If it's Coccidia, it is treated with Albon. If it's Giardia, then usually Panacur and an antibiotic.
It is very nasty and hard to get rid of (in the environment). But I wouldn't worry about it unless the vet seems to think that this could be it.

bricksquadbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
okay- i hope not because i've been meticulously treating my house since i thought he may have a tapeworm. he has been asymptomatic until today so that's so weird.. the only problem the vet noted today was full anal glands? she expressed them for him.. and he's been dewormed twice with Revolution and has been completely normal up til today.. i didn't see anything in the orange stool. is this not a normal reaction to surgery?? Thanks!!!!!!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never seen this from a spay/neuter in any of my kittens. I did a quick google search on Profender side effects and all I could find was 'consult your veterinarian'. Not much help there.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! he's the sweetest!!
I tried keeping him out of the cone but in the first 5 minutes I had to stop him 4 times from messing at it.... so I just wondered if there's an alternative.. he's walking backwards, constantly trying to get it off.. he can't eat or drink.. even with my accommodations to his food and water bowl.. but he is persistently messing with the surgery site.

Is that a normal side effect of Profender? He has never had a loose stool.. let alone bright orange.. I though it might be the anesthesia but I don't remember what the vet told me was normal after his surgery lol

Thanks!!
I don't know about the orange poo, it doesn't sound great and I would phone to ask the vet.

In terms of the cone though, if he's messing with the incisions he does need something to stop him doing that - you could try an inflatable collar (sometimes known as a donut collar) instead, I found with 1 of my cats that he tolerated that better after surgery because it doesn't restrict peripheral vision so they find it less worrying. They are quite bulky though, so the downside is that kitty may need a little assistance to do stuff like get up on the sofa for cuddles. Also if you do opt for an inflatable, make sure it is the right size and that he can breathe ok, and that he can get in and out of the litter tray ok. Neuter incisions usually heal really quickly though.

Definitely talk to your vet about the poo thing though. He's such a cute little boy btw!

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you give us an update? Did you see the vet? My kittens are pooping orange after their spaying and neutering as well, although it's not runny.