Fur pulling

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
My cat started (a few months ago) pulling his fur when grooming. He isn't pulling to baldness, but he is pulling chunks out.
The vet said its most likely due to his hyperthyroidism. It started when he started his medication months ago. His skin isn't dry, no mites or anything. He's been on the same food for years, she didn't think it's sudden allergies because he's not itchy or scratching. Just simply pulling fur when grooming (and it doesn't seem like he's over grooming). Of course it's shedding season and I've been brushing and furminating him whenever he'd let me.

She said there isn't much to do about it, just keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't pull himself bald or become obsessed.

I am coming here to see what experiences you all might have and what you suggest to curb the pulling?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Just out of curiosity, how often does he go to the vet for bloodwork to get his T-4 checked? It's possible he might need a tweak in the dose of his medicine. Or he might have another underlying condition due to his hyperthyroidism.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree about having your cat's thyroid level checked again to see if a dosage change is needed, as well as blood work if he has not had any done recently. Aside from that, another common reason is stress/anxiety. So, look for other signs of stress and take note of any changes in routines, the household in general, and even changes going on outside th immediate area of the home.

My cat has done this from time to time, but not for months at a time, and it never has caused bald spots. Sadly, though, she likes to eat the hair she pulls out. I've never figured out what causes it but since it is very intermittent, I just keep an eye out on her while she does it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Just out of curiosity, how often does he go to the vet for bloodwork to get his T-4 checked? It's possible he might need a tweak in the dose of his medicine. Or he might have another underlying condition due to his hyperthyroidism.
He was diagnosed hyper back in January, had his follow up mid march and isn’t due for another Check up until next month. It was about march when I first noticed pulling and thought maybe it was the different food I had him on and switched him back.

I did take him to the emergency vet a few weeks ago because he stopped eating- all blood was perfect.( he had an upset stomach from a massive hairball it seemed) Everything was good to the last test- I will make sure his other levels are tested when he goes back for thyroid follow up.
I’m not too worried because it’s not constant, he doesn’t seem uncomfortable. I just don’t want him pulling fur and ingesting it all. I’m leaning to shedding season but wanted to hear thoughts

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't speak to anything about hyperthyroid medicine, but I do know that sometimes, no matter how well the vet or vet techs can clean the spaces, pets can sometimes pick up fleas or other ectoparasites from vet rooms/offices. Do you give him any meds for such things? If he has been to the vet several times recently, I wouldn't discount the possibility. I always make sure my cat is up-to-date before vet visits, just in case.