Cat throwing up for 2 years

Chami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted Bubba 2 years ago and she's now 12.
She throws up usually about 3 minutes after eating but sometimes almost immediately. She vomits every day for about 5 days in a row and then stops for about 5 days. Sometimes she vomits twice in a single day and I've noticed she sometimes eats her cat grass to make herself.
Doesn't matter if it's Royal Canine GI dry or Royal Canine digestion wet or chicken. There's no rhyme or reason to any of it.
She went to the vet shortly after we got her and all blood tests were perfect. They checked her oesophagus and all was fine.
In fact, she appears to be perfectly fine aside from frequent vomiting.
No runny stools ever. No weight loss. No lack of appetite. Nothing abnormal.
I feed her the royal canine in the morning but only small quantities at a time and the wet food at night including tuna and chicken. She sometimes also has the remainder of her breakfast dry allowance before I go to bed.
Do I need to be concerned?
No vet has got any answers and I've noticed some people here say that changing the diet made the situation even worse.
I'm tired of cleaning up vomit and it upsets me to see Bubba vomiting although she seems fine.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :hellocomputer:

I'm sorry about Bubba, that's no fun for either of you. Have you tried using elevated bowls? We had the same issue with our kitty Ozzy who's a big boy. Someone suggested that I try an elevated bowl so he takes in less air as he eats, and it made a big difference.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree about trying an elevated dish to see if that helps any. Aside from that, is there a particular meal that is involved when she throws up? Say for example, the morning meal? Some cats will throw up if they go too long without eating due to stomach acid build up. Do you throw out any dry at the end of the day/night if she hasn't eaten it? Sometimes there is enough saliva collected in the dry food to exacerbate bacterial growth that might cause upset stomach. These things would go hand in hand with the intermittent vomiting, as they would not always apply all the time. Does she only throw up with the dry food or also with the wet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I'm sorry about Bubba, that's no fun for either of you. Have you tried using elevated bowls? We had the same issue with our kitty Ozzy who's a big boy. Someone suggested that I try an elevated bowl so he takes in less air as he eats, and it made a big difference.
Thankyou. She is eating from an elevated bowl but it hasn't helped 😕

Chami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I agree about trying an elevated dish to see if that helps any. Aside from that, is there a particular meal that is involved when she throws up? Say for example, the morning meal? Some cats will throw up if they go too long without eating due to stomach acid build up. Do you throw out any dry at the end of the day/night if she hasn't eaten it? Sometimes there is enough saliva collected in the dry food to exacerbate bacterial growth that might cause upset stomach. These things would go hand in hand with the intermittent vomiting, as they would not always apply all the time. Does she only throw up with the dry food or also with the wet?
Thank you. She throws up wet and dry food and not at any particular time of the day.
She gets breakfast in small portions throughout the day and I don't leave food in her bowl overnight.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with elevated bowls etc. However, those did solve my cats issues with very frequent vomiting either. I tried many food trials, eliminated any ingredients like pea and potatoes. Narrowed all the darn gums to one instead of 3 or 4. I did extensive records on what she ate, when she ate, when she vomited. I had and extensive list of things I eliminated.Many trips to the vet was it this or that. No. Finally asked the vet about seeing a nutritional vet. There is only one that I am aware in the state. Our vet sent her records, test and all. I sent him all my crazy records.I meet with him. He says looks you tried everything, but did you try anything with no gums in it? Well I got it down to just one. I put her on a pate ( not many without gums ) with no gums, and hell it worked. She has not vomited food in months upon months upon months. He said it is very irritating to the GI system.Some cats can tolerate gums, some are aggravated a little, amd some are like my girl and cannot deal with any.
My point here is not that it is gums with your cat, but there is a reason. Whether it peas, chicken, potatoes, brewers yeast (don't get me started on that) on and on BUT it is something.I still use an elevated bowl. No she was not a scarf and barf like was first assumed. Worst time ever figuring out what was up but she doing great in that area now.
You have to kinda be a detective. It is really trial and error.A real pain but she was worth every second and still is.

Chami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with elevated bowls etc. However, those did solve my cats issues with very frequent vomiting either. I tried many food trials, eliminated any ingredients like pea and potatoes. Narrowed all the darn gums to one instead of 3 or 4. I did extensive records on what she ate, when she ate, when she vomited. I had and extensive list of things I eliminated.Many trips to the vet was it this or that. No. Finally asked the vet about seeing a nutritional vet. There is only one that I am aware in the state. Our vet sent her records, test and all. I sent him all my crazy records.I meet with him. He says looks you tried everything, but did you try anything with no gums in it? Well I got it down to just one. I put her on a pate ( not many without gums ) with no gums, and hell it worked. She has not vomited food in months upon months upon months. He said it is very irritating to the GI system.Some cats can tolerate gums, some are aggravated a little, amd some are like my girl and cannot deal with any.
My point here is not that it is gums with your cat, but there is a reason. Whether it peas, chicken, potatoes, brewers yeast (don't get me started on that) on and on BUT it is something.I still use an elevated bowl. No she was not a scarf and barf like was first assumed. Worst time ever figuring out what was up but she doing great in that area now.
You have to kinda be a detective. It is really trial and error.A real pain but she was worth every second and still is.
Thank you so much. Izzy is blessed to have you as her mom and I agree that it must be something and I certainly haven't given up on Bubba.
I've had a look at her Royal Canine dry and wet and can't see gums but understand you said it might not be gums that are the problem.
Bubba throws up chicken and tuna as well as her Royal Canine and there shouldn't be anything in those that is causing a problem?
She does eat from an elevated bowl.
Do you have any extra thoughts or ideas that might help?

Chami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I ams o familiar with all of this.
Glad you have tried an elevated dish.

Yes, small frequent meals are the best for a vomiter. I do wet in the morning, and early afternoon, and leave out dry food for the rest of the day and night, for my guy to nibble on. This has seemed to help keep food in his tummy, along with alleviating a bit of the acid indigestion .

Have you tried switching to a novel protein diet? I think that is the next step. Or eliminating chicken?
Many cats are allergic to chicken. A novel protein diet is food where the protein is something they have never had before; as in duck, rabbit, quail, venison, etc. This also helps a ton..

If doing the above and the vomiting continues, after a few months, then Vet intervention is probably needed.. as in an endoscopic biopsy. Yup, expensive, but may provide an answer to why your baby is so sick.

Sorry for mentioning this.. I have been through this with a couple of my kitties...
I wish you luck...

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. Izzy is blessed to have you as her mom and I agree that it must be something and I certainly haven't given up on Bubba.
I've had a look at her Royal Canine dry and wet and can't see gums but understand you said it might not be gums that are the problem.
Bubba throws up chicken and tuna as well as her Royal Canine and there shouldn't be anything in those that is causing a problem?
She does eat from an elevated bowl.
Do you have any extra thoughts or ideas that might help?
Have you tried any food elimination trials? Like eliminating chicken ( a common sensitivity) Food trials need to be more then a couple days, it needs to be and extended period. Things like pea protein/ flour can be an issue. Problem is with the thousands of ingredients possible it can be anything. I really suggest keeping detailed records of what you do,so maybe a pattern will emerge.So,what you you fed when vomiting occurs etc .Look at the most common suspects like chicken or other proteins you feed a lot first. One at a time eliminate one for a minimum of 7- 12 days or more add that ingredient back in and see what happens. It could be more then one thing. Have you tried eliminating the dry food, sometimes that can have issues?That is why it is so difficult and an uphill battle.I cannot feed this one anything with pea, brewers yeast, potato.I am down pretty much to meat, broth/water and minerals and vitamins. That does mean yours will be the same. I just got really frustrated with the poor girl vomiting constantly.How can that be good? But I was pretty much on my own. Unfortunately, it takes a considerable amount of time some. Izzy was the most difficult by far. I wish I was more of a help to you, but it really is try and error.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in Australia and I'm familiar with the Hills brand however I don't know what I/D means? Bubba has been on Royal Canine which I know is an excellent brand prescribed by vets so not sure why Hills might be better?
I/D is the specific type of prescription food for easy digestibility. It is the Hills equivalent of the RC food. If Bubba has been throwing up for two years, it may be the food. I mean it could be a dozen other things. But you could ask your vet for some cans of Hills I/D to try. It comes in both pate and stew as well as dry kibble. My Betty didn’t care for the RC. But the Hills I/D seems to be working well for her.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you add any new food to her diet, it is best to do it slowly. Cats can really be sensitive to sudden changes. I would start with 75% old food to 25% new. Some people started 50/50. Seeing as she is already having you don't want to have a diarrhea fest or more vomiting issues.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you add any new food to her diet, it is best to do it slowly. Cats can really be sensitive to sudden changes. I would start with 75% old food to 25% new. Some people started 50/50. Seeing as she is already having you don't want to have a diarrhea fest or more vomiting issues.
Betty needs even slower transitions. I often do her transitions over ten days. I use a food scale to weigh her meals so that's how I'm able to do such a slow transition. Often times before the ten days are up, she'll tell me one way or another whether this transition is going to work. The other recommendation I have is to either add an extra meal and transition that meal only or transition only one of the regular meals at a time. That way if it doesn't go well, you only need to rewind one meal at a time. If you did the transition in a guest meal, you can simply drop that guest meal.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tuna or any fish, and chicken are the two least tolerated foods by kitties and can cause vomiting. Try a different flavor such as rabbit, duck, or venison and see if she stops.

Chami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I ams o familiar with all of this.
Glad you have tried an elevated dish.

Yes, small frequent meals are the best for a vomiter. I do wet in the morning, and early afternoon, and leave out dry food for the rest of the day and night, for my guy to nibble on. This has seemed to help keep food in his tummy, along with alleviating a bit of the acid indigestion .

Have you tried switching to a novel protein diet? I think that is the next step. Or eliminating chicken?
Many cats are allergic to chicken. A novel protein diet is food where the protein is something they have never had before; as in duck, rabbit, quail, venison, etc. This also helps a ton..

If doing the above and the vomiting continues, after a few months, then Vet intervention is probably needed.. as in an endoscopic biopsy. Yup, expensive, but may provide an answer to why your baby is so sick.

Sorry for mentioning this.. I have been through this with a couple of my kitties...
I wish you luck...
Thank you very much. I'll try a single protein and choose something she's never had before. 🙏

Chami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tuna or any fish, and chicken are the two least tolerated foods by kitties and can cause vomiting. Try a different flavor such as rabbit, duck, or venison and see if she stops.
Wow! I didn't know that. I'll definitely try rabbit or duck. 🙏

Chami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

She does eat from an elevated bowl. Thank you