What's on Your Mind Thread - 2024

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don’t mind clover or dandelions much. (DS still picks me dandelions and I LOVE IT!) Its these spikey fuzzy ones with a thick center stalk that will grow 10’ tall in unmowed fields i hate. If they grow a bit too high in the yard the center stalk is hard to step on after its cut. They show up in my raised gardens with the crab grass and a few others that are really annoying. Some produce woody stems you have to work to get out. We had one kind grow up in my iris bed a few years ago and DH discovered with his thumb that it had hidden thorns. 😣 I suspect many are wind spread here. Its definitely am uphill battle to fight them!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just had to comment, robot mowers work great if you don't have anything abnormal in your lawn, like the odd sprinkler head that is a tag too high or where the raccoons were digging for grubs. Maybe the new ones have better sensors, but the one I saw had the owner turning the air blue after each use. Maybe it was his tension release for the day....
I saw one in action last summer, in a yard full of lawn "art," and it seemed to do very well, cutting around them. I'm sure it was on the high end, price-wise. Again, I'd have to win a lottery to do this, and I'm NOT holding my breath!

I've also noticed something similar in several different areas I've been in where that is the case (very attentive lawn maintenance). If the lawn is treated and cut very often, I hardly see any butterflies in those places.
Again, lottery pipe dream, but...I'd love to have a BIG back yard, with just a postage-stamp sized lawn around a pretty patio, and the rest sown in native wild flowers. Most state agricultural departments have native wild flower seeds, and many will give them to you, free of charge. I'd spend my time sitting on the patio, watching the birds and butterflies and bees enjoying the flowers that they love the most.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t mind clover or dandelions much. (DS still picks me dandelions and I LOVE IT!) Its these spikey fuzzy ones with a thick center stalk that will grow 10’ tall in unmowed fields i hate. If they grow a bit too high in the yard the center stalk is hard to step on after its cut. They show up in my raised gardens with the crab grass and a few others that are really annoying. Some produce woody stems you have to work to get out. We had one kind grow up in my iris bed a few years ago and DH discovered with his thumb that it had hidden thorns. 😣 I suspect many are wind spread here. Its definitely am uphill battle to fight them!
You mean thistles? Every so often one will pop up here, and yeah, they can get big and nasty.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw one in action last summer, in a yard full of lawn "art," and it seemed to do very well, cutting around them. I'm sure it was on the high end, price-wise. Again, I'd have to win a lottery to do this, and I'm NOT holding my breath!

Again, lottery pipe dream, but...I'd love to have a BIG back yard, with just a postage-stamp sized lawn around a pretty patio, and the rest sown in native wild flowers. Most state agricultural departments have native wild flower seeds, and many will give them to you, free of charge. I'd spend my time sitting on the patio, watching the birds and butterflies and bees enjoying the flowers that they love the most.
Speaking of birds, I was taking advantage of some sunshine to work in the back yard when I noticed a starling fluttering around the eave at a corner of the house. I got out a ladder to investigate, and found a gap where the guard didn't completely cover the gutter. Lifting it up, I found a nest with seven hatchlings in it. Fortunately, the nest is at the high end of the gutter, and away from the downspout, but once they have flown, that gap will go away.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I can just imagine you doing that. I would love to do the same thing. One of my cats use to come out on the back deck with me, sit on my chair with me, have a little taste of the whip cream on my strawberries and look out at the bees and butterflies flitting around my backyard. People use to laugh to see him surveying the surroundings, just like he was saying its a good day!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm Sicilaian and dandelions remind me of my youth- pasta con la cicoria( pasta with dandelion) ...." Cicoria" is a Sicilian favorite

Too bitter for my taste but I think folks that like bitter greens ( collards,turnip etc) would really like it.....

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm Sicilaian and dandelions remind me of my youth- pasta con la cicoria( pasta with dandelion) ...." Cicoria" is a Sicilian favorite

Too bitter for my taste but I think folks that like bitter greens ( collards,turnip etc) would really like it.....
So am I, close to 50%. Grandpa used to cook dandelions and burdock - but I never cared for them.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
So am I, close to 50%. Grandpa used to cook dandelions and burdock - but I never cared for them.
Ah " carduni"...... my Grandfather did not like when my grandmother prepared any of those and would grumble' cucina povera" ......a nice translation would be " inexpensive foods from the kitchen " but he meant she cooked like the poor ..... properly translate " poor kitchen"

He was a master chef from France,he did not like the way she cooked,rofl- they were like a comedy act together

I'm with you,never cared for any of those either👎

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah " carduni"...... my Grandfather did not like when my grandmother prepared any of those and would grumble' cucina povera" ......a nice translation would be " inexpensive foods from the kitchen " but he meant she cooked like the poor ..... properly translate " poor kitchen"

He was a master chef from France,he did not like the way she cooked,rofl- they were like a comedy act together

I'm with you,never cared for any of those either👎
Both my grandparents cooked. Day to day, mostly my grandmother but any special meal my grandfather cooked because he thought he was better at it. They were funny together as well.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
One of our neighbors has a lawn service do hers, and she also has the lawn sprayed once a month. The downside is that I have noticed a significant dropoff in the number of butterflies since that was started. Whether the two are connected, I can't say for sure. I used to have lots of Monarchs and Swallowtails come to the gardens, but never saw either last year; only a couple of Red Admirals and Cabbage Whites.
Remember the Jetsons cartoon? My parents need a robot to clean their house,cook dinner,mow lawn,etc. Don't remember all her capabilities

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad had a stroke a few years back. Now he's also diabetic,level 3 kidney disease,continuous uti. My mom bought something from walgreens to find out if he really has uti. Do those things really work? She is struggling taking care of my dad,herself,me, and my sisters and will not get help with cooking

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad had a stroke a few years back. Now he's also diabetic,level 3 kidney disease,continuous uti. My mom bought something from walgreens to find out if he really has uti. Do those things really work? She is struggling taking care of my dad,herself,me, and my sisters and will not get help with cooking
I have used them in the past with inconsistent results - it says I have one, the doc says I don’t.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol:shot myself in the foot again everytime i have extra cash to spend i tell gf you feel like shopping? so we are gonna spend the day at some open air outlet in orange ca. with dinner to be figured out while down there:oops: should be able to catch one of the playoff games today
Might be expensive but it sounds like a good time.