Tubby's Vet Trip 🐱

yekrats

What a Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful World
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good ol' Tubbs just came back from a health check at the vet, scoring 99% perfect out of 100 with only 1% knocked off for being a little chunky. ( We can fix that though, we'll just dial his food back a touch. ) Time for a funny story. As "Purrr" the usual, Tubbs did not like going into the pet carrier for the trip to the vet. He didn't want it, he didn't like it, and boo, hiss to the whole thing. Ahhh, but then, "Magically" when we got to the vet and it was time for the poking, prodding and shots, he was absolutely thrilled to be inside of the pet carrier. Oh no, he said, I love the pet carrier. Leave me in here furrrever. 🤣 It all worked out, though. Our Vet gave Tubbs a pat on the head, scratch on the tail and Tubbs turned into a ball of fluff.

Anyway, I've got a question for y'all. Tubbs the cat. 9-10 year old, male orange Tabby with clean and shiny teeth, happy disposition and always a big smile on his face. OK, when we first got Tubbs, he was an extremely stressed out cat from a bad previous home environment and we had problems with him piddling on the walls. So, as part of the solution our vet recommended, Hills prescription diet c/d urinary care dry cat food and giving him a couple of weeks supply of gabapentin to help calm him down. Tubbs loved the gabbapentin and it all worked out great, but that hills prescription cat food is really expensive stuff, about $70 for a 7.8 pound bag so we asked our vet if there was something less expensive, we could feed him? Long story short. He said that we could change his food but that we needed to understand that there was a risk that he might start piddling on the walls again. Basically, you can do it but cross your fingers.
OK, OK, here's the question/questions. What do you think are some good, over-the-counter, urinary cat foods for senior cats we could try? I've looked at a couple, Purina, OnePlus indoor Advantage, senior 7+ looks pretty good to me and maybe IAMS proactive health urinary too but they don't seem to have a senior level in it. I haven't really looked at prices for either one yet.
Second question, Do you have any advice on the best way to transition his food from one to another so as not to stress him out. We are going to stick with chicken so I thought maybe mixing them together for a while might help. What do you think?

Oh, I should probably mention we have another cat too. We got them from the same home at the same time. They have lived together most of their lives. Tubbs best friend, Patches. 7-8 year old female mixed breed. They both eat the same food. Patches is very pretty and they get along great.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I think Purina could be a good brand.

For the transition, keep feeding the old food for a little while, and add just a little of the new food. Gradually increase the quantity of the new food and begin decreasing the amount of the old food.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, I don't see anything with the Purina food that discusses Urinary health. Maybe I am missing it? The Iams definitely is for urinary health, but isn't for senior cats. I have two 15 year old cats and feed them Adult food, not senior food. Is there some reason you need to feed them Senior food? Did your Vet say to? The Hills you are feeding is not for seniors is it? If not, then I would go with the Iams

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yekrats

What a Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful World
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I don't see anything with the Purina food that discusses Urinary health. Maybe I am missing it? The Iams definitely is for urinary health, but isn't for senior cats. I have two 15 year old cats and feed them Adult food, not senior food. Is there some reason you need to feed them Senior food? Did your Vet say to? The Hills you are feeding is not for seniors is it? If not, then I would go with the Iams
Yes, you're right. The purina one+ food isn't for urinary tract health. However, purina does make their proplan urinary track cat food. It's not for senior cats, but maybe worth a look anyway. Our vet put Tubbs on urinary tract health food to help combat his piddling on the wall problem. I really don't want to take him off UT food, so maybe purina is out. And yes, our vet suggested we put him on senior cat food but I'm kind of with you on this one. He's happy and healthy so why change it?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Royal Canin makes a urinary food which is sold non-prescription in most stores. It is called Urinary/Urinaire and I have had luck with mine eating it, but it is not senior food. I have also used the ProPlan urinary food with some success, meaning that they would eat it.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you mix the foods, it defeats the purpose. Feeding 1/2 and 1/2 doesn’t work. If you feed the other, there is no point in feeding the prescription diet.

Any canned diet is better than any dry diet. He will also lose weight ifyou feed him canned only.