Peeing: Same Cat Time Same Cat Station....

baymeezer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my Flame Point is a little over two years old and got him when he was about 7 months old.  Except for the very very occasional peeing outside the litter box, which always coincided with me being lazy replacing the litter (because I clean it out daily) - Dexter never has had issues with the litterbox.  Even when a friends cat would visit and we had two litter boxes, no issues.

Dex has always been a friendly but tentative cat.  However, over the last month - he has FINALLY decided he enjoys my company and sleeps with me at night.

However, over the past week, he's developed an odd habit between 6-8 every evening, in the same general area, he will pee on the floor.  Never any other time and only once. But it's like clock work. Otherwise, he uses the litter box. There is pee and poop in there.  So, to me, this would sort of rule out health issues and a majority of behaviour issues. But obviously, something is going on and I would assume it is behavioural.

When this started, the litter box was running low on litter and needed to be replaced. I did that. I actually put A LOT in.  I've ensured I clean every morning AND evening.  I've been using the same litter (admittedly I bought one with a scent this time, but that's happened in the past too).  Again, he's not rejecting the litter box or litter. He does use it regularly.

The only think I can think of, is he's now gotten super picky (and he never was in the past) and by the evening, he's already used the very large litterbox 3-4 times during the day and now it's 'TOO' dirty for him.  I wondering if his comfort in the house now has given him confidence too.  Windows are also open this past week.

I reiterate - the odd part of this, and why I want help, is the exact same time every day.  This is what baffles me.

Thanks.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

A few quick thoughts:

You should really take him to the vet. This could still be a health issue, and you want to rule that out first.

You should add a second box. Some cats get really picky about using the same box for poop and pee. Rule of thumb is one box per cat and one extra.

Any place that has been pooped or peed on should be cleaned with an enzyme cleaner. That should prevent him from returning to the same place out of habit.

Let us know!