Older cat suddenly picky ?

Georgesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought something was wrong with our cat because he wasn’t eating normally and has lost weight . But I also knew he was getting alot more exercise . I feed them a wet food morning and night and leave out kibble all day . I bought a new kind of kibble that is lower calorie but mixed it with the old kind . He was eating fine . But then seemed to go off his food . I was worried but then started paying closer attention and figured out he only likes the canned now when it’s freshly open , nothing left from the day before in the fridge . He also doesn’t seem to like the food mixed and won’t eat it unless he has to even though he WAS . He is constantly grumpy with our other cats now . BUT he will beg for and eat lunch meat or cat treats happily if he can get any. But now that I’m onto that trick it seems like he’s just holding out for what he really wants and won’t eat what he used to . I can’t afford pickiness . He didn’t used to be like this but he’s always begged for him a food even though we wouldn’t feed it . It seems like his former owner may have spoiled him . I’ve had him 3 years though . He’s 11 . Do cats just suddenly get picky in old age ?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
11 is not that old, but old enough to warrant a vet check, as mentioned above. I think some cats do get pickier about their food as they age, but I have often seen it is related to a health issue. Get blood work and a urinalysis done and see if anything shows up.

If nothing else is going on, welcome to world of picky cat owners!!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep! It can be the very beginning of hyperthyroidism, or some other things. Especially combined with the behaviour change and weight loss.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’ve had him 3 years though . He’s 11 . Do cats just suddenly get picky in old age ?
G Georgesmom : My Ruby's about 12 or 13, so around the same age as your cat, and she has gotten very picky with her food during the past year. The same food she likes one day, turns her nose up the next. She also lost some weight, which I attributed to her eating less. It wasn't till she started drinking/peeing more, that I thought something other than simply food pickiness might be going on, and there was, as bloodwork at the vet showed she was hyperthyroid.

So as the others have posted, you should get your guy checked out at the vet, just to make sure there's nothing health related causing his food pickiness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Georgesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
G Georgesmom : My Ruby's about 12 or 13, so around the same age as your cat, and she has gotten very picky with her food during the past year. The same food she likes one day, turns her nose up the next. She also lost some weight, which I attributed to her eating less. It wasn't till she started drinking/peeing more, that I thought something other than simply food pickiness might be going on, and there was, as bloodwork at the vet showed she was hyperthyroid.

So as the others have posted, you should get your guy checked out at the vet, just to make sure there's nothing health related causing his food pickiness.
Ok this makes sense . I had a cat before this one who developed hyperthyroidism around age 11 so I probably should have him checked . I guess George has always been so overweight I really didn’t consider this but he seems to be really thinning out a lot and more then he should be . I’m going to save back some cash and get him in to be seen

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok this makes sense . I had a cat before this one who developed hyperthyroidism around age 11 so I probably should have him checked . I guess George has always been so overweight I really didn’t consider this but he seems to be really thinning out a lot and more then he should be . I’m going to save back some cash and get him in to be seen
Sounds like a good plan. Hopefully it's nothing other than pickiness, but best to know for sure. Let us know the results, once he's been to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Georgesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well we got blood tests , thyroid , glucose , cbc and urine and everything was normal . He’s just a grumpy old man . Well my gut says otherwise actually . She did suggest possibly IBS or doing an ultrasound but right now I can’t afford an ultrasound . This was already $300 of bloodwork just to say normal . He did lose 3 pounds …. I found a different canned food and he seems to like that better though . He turns his nose up to tuna … go figure . I’m trying to feed him separate from the younger kittens

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well we got blood tests , thyroid , glucose , cbc and urine and everything was normal . He’s just a grumpy old man . Well my gut says otherwise actually . She did suggest possibly IBS or doing an ultrasound but right now I can’t afford an ultrasound . This was already $300 of bloodwork just to say normal . He did lose 3 pounds …. I found a different canned food and he seems to like that better though . He turns his nose up to tuna … go figure . I’m trying to feed him separate from the younger kittens
How wild! I'm glad to know theres nothing nefarious on the bloodwork this far.

Do you know what type of hyperthyroidism test was done? If the T4 was just on the upper end of the range it might be worth asking about medication all the same. Or seeing if the other test is affordable once you save a bit.

Thyroid Hormone Testing in Cats | VCA Animal Hospitals

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is a lot of weight loss - in what amount of time? Do you think he is eating that much less to justify it?

I echo what was asked above. Where did his thyroid (T4) level come out at? If bordering on the high side, there are some follow up tests that could identify a thyroid problem even when the T4 is within range.

It is not impossible, but pretty rare for IBS to be involved if he is not experiencing bowel issues or throwing up. A B-12 (cobalamin) absorption issue can cause weight loss too, and could - or could not - be tied to IBS.

Was he checked for arthritis? Some cats will experience pain causing them to lose their appetite, even though they will go for what they consider treats.

In the meantime, can you try the vet urgent care food - it is high in calories, and while my cat wasn't crazy about it, there are many other members whose cats go for it rather well. It is made by Hill's - most vets carry some in their office.

Last edited: