My boy wakes me up 6+ times during a night

xthoroughbred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Guys, I'm sleep-deprived! I have a 19 year old cat who wakes me up multiple times during the night and I'm not sure what he wants!Because he's so old and has no real way to wake me up (e.g., he can't jump into my bed), I put a big shopping bag on the floor. When he wants to wake me up for food, he pounds on it. Usually, I'd give him some food and go back to bed without a problem. But recently, he's been repeatedly waking me up with it. Sometimes I don't even think he's hungry but I grab him some food and bring it back to my room for him. Just about the time I think I quieted him down, he starts pounding again! I've moved the bag all across my room and he still goes up to it all throughout the night (he has arthritis and it's difficult for him to walk). I've even fed him 4+ times during the night and it doesn't stop him.I know the simple answer is to hide the bag, but then he tries getting on the steps leading to my bed (he used these frequently until his arthritis got worse) and I don't want him on them because it's hard for him to get up there and he's fallen down them before. I also don't want to ignore my guy! Is there anything else he could want besides food or my company?! Sometimes I'll just get down on the floor with him and love on him a little until I fall asleep beside him but that usually doesn't work for long. I've also got two 1 year old kitties who are very active during the night but he doesn't seem to want to be around them. I'm a little desperate at this point!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long is it since he saw a vet? Your boy may be trying to tell you something is wrong, or he doesn't feel right, and at 19 he should be getting regular exams. You are lucky to have had him so long - you must have been giving him excellent care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xthoroughbred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He saw a vet about two weeks ago for his breathing issues and some eye discharge. I know his breathing is getting worse so that may be it, but I also hate taking him to the vet because he gets so stressed out and is obese with breathing issues. Not a good combo!

And I know I'm very lucky to have had him so long.
 He found me when he was 1 year old and a stray. I'm even more lucky to have him still because he's been indoor/outdoor his whole life and has gone through quite a lot in his years--falling out of trees, bloody cat fights, dog chases, renal failure...I could go on!

caro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there

This is common with older cats. Maybe he just wants the reassurance that you are there. Besides a check up at the vets to rule out pain and illness, have you tried actualy sleeping with him on the bed so he is close to you and knows you are there?

Also feeding him each time he wakes up is a REALLY bad idea. This has created the link to wake up = food and he will do it more and more often. Please stop giving him food when he wakes you. Try him in bed with you and if he still wakes you simply put your hand on his head to placate/comfort him. I did this with my 10 year old adopted tomcat who was climbing on me at night and waking me 3 or 4 times. Basically I ignored him or just put my hand on him. Now he doesn't do it any more.

Good luck and you are doing a wonderful job :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xthoroughbred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to find a sleeping bag or make a bed on the floor since he doesn't like beds and won't be able to get down in the middle of the night if he needs to.