Moving beloved outdoorsy 12y/o cat to city apartment without outdoor access - is it possible?

eve.e.e

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I feel like I’m having a bit of a feline crisis.
My best friend in this whole wide world is my beloved 12 year old Russian Blue cat, Minka.

Current status for context:

She has grown up with me in my family home with unrestricted access to the outdoors, in an area that has lots of nature and not a lot of roads.

She has always seemed to spend a good amount of time outdoors throughout her life, whilst ultimately preferring to be indoors for company and to sleep. (probably more time indoors than outdoors, but still went outdoors every day).

Since she has gotten older, for the last 2 years but particularly this past year, she has spent the largest majority of her time indoors, resting and sleeping and wanting cuddles and affection.

Vets have said she’s physically fit and healthy.

My problem is:
I haven’t lived at my family house properly for 4/5years after leaving home for studies, though during that period I have on-and-off been home, sometimes for many months at a time.

This means I haven’t been able to see her everyday for a long time now.

However, she still wants to be in my room when I’m not there and will always seek me out whenever I am home, gravitating towards me as her ‘person’. (and she is my beloved, beautiful, wonderful cat :(((( )

I have recently moved into a city apartment on the 4th floor of a large complex. I have seen that others have house cats in this building.

I am so desperately wanting to bring her with me whilst I live here (I’m here for a 12 month contract, possibly longer if I choose to stay - however I would bring her back to my family home if I end up moving home too often in a short span of time).

I’m well aware of the fact that outdoors cats transitioning to being solely indoors isn’t good for them, and I am absolutely devoted to not causing her any harm or stress.

I was wondering though, because she is older now and more preferable to being indoors - would she be safe, happy and okay with living with me in my flat? I wouldn’t let her outside due to the roads and other unfamiliar dangers, so I’d make my apartment a cozy, safe cat haven with items she’d love.

If she’s used to having outdoors access and that associated freedom, would she be likely to be miserable in my flat? The flat consists of a separate bedroom and a living room with an open plan kitchen.

Please let me know your opinions, because my heart always aches with missing her and I’m so, so worried that she’ll spend her remaining years without me to give her love and affection every day. (my parents don’t spend much time with her).

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The first few weeks would be the hardest, but I say go for it.

You'd want to do some catification of your home first, shelves or cat trees for climbing. Lots of scratching posts (vertical, horizontal, angled, cardboard and sisal) because she's going to be used to scratching surfaces. I would do a tree by any large pieces of furniture or put corner scratching posts on furniture. Shoot, you could probably put a nice log somewhere for her to scratch on to really feel comfortable.

You also may want to figure out a bird feeder outside a window (even just hummingbird) and maybe do a small fish tank (minimum 5 gallon, could do a single betta or some nano fish).

See about some sort of interactive cat toy, I lave a little powered one that my cats love. The biggest thing is making sure that when she goes from outside with lots of activity to entertain her to indoors she doesn't loose too much entertainment and scratching spots.

I'd also advise some sort of barrier between the door and the rest of the space if at all possible so you don't have to worry about her dashing out. Those first few weeks she is likely to try as she understands her new space. Also, make a concentrated effort to be home as often as possible so she has you around while she adjusts.

But Oherwise, go for it. If you are her person, she will be happier with you. And if she's not, talk with your parents and make sure they are willing to take her back. But make sure you give it at least three months to make sure she really isn't happy before you do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eve.e.e

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, this is SO helpful!!
One detail I forgot to mention is: the drive is about 3 hours long (145miles), would it be too much stress for her to undertake a journey that long? Especially if she doesn’t fare well after the 3 month trial period, as she’d have to travel all the way back!

With the details you’ve described it has given me a sense of hope, I’m honestly feeling so much more excited and invigorated about the idea of being able to have her with me, I could almost cry :,)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A 3 hour drive isn't anything super long, it should be manageable for her. Make sure you have a secure carrier, tag the carrier in case of emergency (I usually put a strip of tape with my name and number on it), and bring towels/cleaning supplies so you can clean up if there are any accidents. But 3 hours is right at the edge of needing to worry about the length of the drive. Really, it isn't longer then a bad vet day if the vet was backed up and my cats have been in the carrier longer when that happens.

You can bring food and water, plus a small litter box, just in case but I'd honestly be worried about letting her out of the carrier and trying to get her back in safely. If it was 4+ hours, I'd say get a large dog kennel with a hammock, litter box and food/water dishes mounted inside. You could do that if you want to, but if it was me, I'd stick to the carrier so she can feel more cave like and hide.

If you have a friendly vet, you could ask for a sedative to calm her down before hand. Or you can try some OTC claming treats just before.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The first few weeks would be the hardest, but I say go for it.

You'd want to do some catification of your home first, shelves or cat trees for climbing. Lots of scratching posts (vertical, horizontal, angled, cardboard and sisal) because she's going to be used to scratching surfaces. I would do a tree by any large pieces of furniture or put corner scratching posts on furniture. Shoot, you could probably put a nice log somewhere for her to scratch on to really feel comfortable.

You also may want to figure out a bird feeder outside a window (even just hummingbird) and maybe do a small fish tank (minimum 5 gallon, could do a single betta or some nano fish).

See about some sort of interactive cat toy, I lave a little powered one that my cats love. The biggest thing is making sure that when she goes from outside with lots of activity to entertain her to indoors she doesn't loose too much entertainment and scratching spots.

I'd also advise some sort of barrier between the door and the rest of the space if at all possible so you don't have to worry about her dashing out. Those first few weeks she is likely to try as she understands her new space. Also, make a concentrated effort to be home as often as possible so she has you around while she adjusts.

But Oherwise, go for it. If you are her person, she will be happier with you. And if she's not, talk with your parents and make sure they are willing to take her back. But make sure you give it at least three months to make sure she really isn't happy before you do.
I fully agree with you, Kieka, great advice…Eve.e.e, your precious little, Minka, will be with you! Don’t leave her behind…she loves you and much as you love her…she will adjust…