Kitten bites me and is rough with my senior cat

Kristin Gireth

Clyde & Jax Mommy
Kitten
Purraise
We have a 7 week old kitten taken away from his mother 4wks . I had to bottle feed him. He will be perfectly happy and purring and he will lick my cheek and chin then take a bite on the bridge of my nose. I tell him no but he keeps on doing it.

Also, my new kitten is very high energy loves to play,but he is to rough with our senior cat. Clyde hisses at him and the kitten is constantly biting Clyde ( senior cats) tail and attacking him. Clyde weights is 32 pounds it just that Clyde isn't use to this type of enter action. I don't know what I should do. Help!

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We have a 7 week old kitten taken away from his mother 4wks . I had to bottle feed him. He will be perfectly happy and purring and he will lick my cheek and chin then take a bite on the bridge of my nose. I tell him no but he keeps on doing it.

Also, my new kitten is very high energy loves to play,but he is to rough with our senior cat. Clyde hisses at him and the kitten is constantly biting Clyde ( senior cats) tail and attacking him. Clyde weights is 32 pounds it just that Clyde isn't use to this type of enter action. I don't know what I should do. Help!
Its pure energhy and joy of life!
Clyde could teach him a lessor or two by swiping a soft paw on kitten. Or press him to the floor, showing whom is the master cat...
I suppose he is OK with kitten, as he isnt doing this...

Anyway, if you think its too much, you can try to talk down kitten. In necessary, take kitten to another room for an hour, to calm down Or say, YOU play more with kitten.. :)

These bites on your nose. It may be for play, it may be for love... Protest more loudly if necessary, or sweep away kitten (softly!).

A radical solution is to get kitten a play comerade more his age / weight... :)

Ps. Clyde is prob more or less overweight... Obese to put it openly. So more play time is just good.... And its easier to keep good weight with wet food....
But whatever you do, press down the weight slowly.... Quick fixes - ie lack of food; go hard on his liver.

A lean cat manages to be without food some time, but not an obese cat.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I, too, have a cat who was taken away from mama far too young, and had not yet learned how to cat. She was fond of biting, as well. Finally, I started hissing at her. There's not a kitten born who does not know that a hiss means, "STOP THAT!" They are born knowing it. To this day, if I tell her to stop doing something, and she, nevertheless, persists, I'll hiss at her, and she stops!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kristin Gireth

Clyde & Jax Mommy
Kitten
Purraise
Hellothank you for responding. I read that tonight as well. Jax has so much energy. He will pounce me like I am a cat or prey. When I hissed he looked at me like I was crazy but it did stop him in his tracks. For a minute anyways!
Thank you

Kristin Gireth

Clyde & Jax Mommy
Kitten
Purraise
Its pure energhy and joy of life!
Clyde could teach him a lessor or two by swiping a soft paw on kitten. Or press him to the floor, showing whom is the master cat...
I suppose he is OK with kitten, as he isnt doing this...

Anyway, if you think its too much, you can try to talk down kitten. In necessary, take kitten to another room for an hour, to calm down Or say, YOU play more with kitten.. :)

These bites on your nose. It may be for play, it may be for love... Protest more loudly if necessary, or sweep away kitten (softly!).

A radical solution is to get kitten a play comerade more his age / weight... :)

Ps. Clyde is prob more or less overweight... Obese to put it openly. So more play time is just good.... And its easier to keep good weight with wet food....
But whatever you do, press down the weight slowly.... Quick fixes - ie lack of food; go hard on his liver.

A lean cat manages to be without food some time, but not an obese cat.
Clyde does hold him down and Jax will do bunny feet on Clyde's head. Clyde also gives him little bit when Jax is biting him, but Jax is biting Clyde's tail. Bites hard too. Clyde criès out. I don't know what to do. What do you think about water spray bottlè?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Clyde does hold him down and Jax will do bunny feet on Clyde's head. Clyde also gives him little bit when Jax is biting him, but Jax is biting Clyde's tail. Bites hard too. Clyde criès out. I don't know what to do. What do you think about water spray bottlè?
Water spray ONLY if really desperate. so wait with that.

I think Clyde and kitten are really playing and enyoing themselves. Rough play admittely, but its just play. its not that bad as it looks... Biting tail by kitten or leion cub is standard!

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Adult cats put up with lot from kittens. Since Clyde is allowing Jax to jump and bite let Clyde teach the baby manners. You said Clyde is holding him down. He will bite Jax back and teach him how to bite gently. Cats have fur and tougher skin so most of Lax's bites might not hurt Clyde and Clyde is telling Lax to stop when it does.

Play with Jax to give Clyde a break. Clyde might enjoy watching the play sessions.

Watch some videos on nail trimming and trim Jax's regularly. At this age every 10-14 day is likely. He's hasn't learned to play with his claws in yet and accidents could happen.

Also watch some videos of kitten/cats playing to prepare yourself for when they start. They can play rough and it can look scary to us.

Kristin Gireth

Clyde & Jax Mommy
Kitten
Purraise
Water spray ONLY if really desperate. so wait with that.

I think Clyde and kitten are really playing and enyoing themselves. Rough play admittely, but its just play. its not that bad as it looks... Biting tail by kitten or leion cub is standard!
Well that's good to know. This is Clyde's first playmate and he is 10 years old

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Clyde could probably use some closed-door time away from the baby each day too. I recommend at least long enough for Clyde to have a good nap for any older cat living with a kitten under 1 year.

I found this really beneficial for our older cat. In time, I didn't have to put Magnus in the room. He would go upstairs on his own and give Nobel a few hours without me closing the door.