Introducing Betty White

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 Did you get your delivery???
I picked it up from their holding facility on Saturday--like I wanted to do in the first place.

The initial data transfer took a comically long time to complete. I took both phones to the taproom and for about an hour to an hour and a half, I had two phones and couldn't use either. The old one was saying, "Finish up on the new phone" but if you tried to close that, it would ask if you really wanted to exit setup. The new phone was saying that it was waiting on the old phone to finish backing up. After about an hour, the backup finished and the new phone was able to start restoring from the backup. That was kinda cool. It got me essential stuff to get going first and then slowly over the next hour, the last of the backup including the remaining 24,000 images came in. I had to go through every app renewing authentication because the authentication was done against the old device not the shared account. At first, that really got my auti up. But then I decided to go through the apps, one by one, and just get her done. I thought it might take me a couple weeks to get all settled back into the new phone like it was the old phone. But it didn't take more than a few days. I even got to use the personal hotspot transferred over from the old phone yesterday as Xfinity kept knocking off.

I maybe should have gotten a different color. I keep picking up both of them like I'm forgetting my phone despite having one already in my hand. 🤦‍♂️ :crackup:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I picked it up from their holding facility on Saturday--like I wanted to do in the first place.

The initial data transfer took a comically long time to complete. I took both phones to the taproom and for about an hour to an hour and a half, I had two phones and couldn't use either. The old one was saying, "Finish up on the new phone" but if you tried to close that, it would ask if you really wanted to exit setup. The new phone was saying that it was waiting on the old phone to finish backing up. After about an hour, the backup finished and the new phone was able to start restoring from the backup. That was kinda cool. It got me essential stuff to get going first and then slowly over the next hour, the last of the backup including the remaining 24,000 images came in. I had to go through every app renewing authentication because the authentication was done against the old device not the shared account. At first, that really got my auti up. But then I decided to go through the apps, one by one, and just get her done. I thought it might take me a couple weeks to get all settled back into the new phone like it was the old phone. But it didn't take more than a few days. I even got to use the personal hotspot transferred over from the old phone yesterday as Xfinity kept knocking off.

I maybe should have gotten a different color. I keep picking up both of them like I'm forgetting my phone despite having one already in my hand. 🤦‍♂️ :crackup:
So you had a lot of data to transfer. Patience is not my strong suit either, especially when it comes to tech, which is supposed to make life easier and stuff like that, faster :insertevillaugh:.
So what kind did you get? And is it black?
Really glad you actually have it in hand!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So you had a lot of data to transfer. Patience is not my strong suit either, especially when it comes to tech, which is supposed to make life easier and stuff like that, faster :insertevillaugh:.
So what kind did you get? And is it black?
Really glad you actually have it in hand!
Well, I was at the taproom and talking with friends there. So it wasn't like I was just staring at the screen waiting for stuff to happen. Several times over the hour, I said, "if I had a phone, I'd look that up to you. But right now, I have two shiny bricks waiting to figure out who will be a phone again."

I got the iPhone SE 3rd generation which is an upgrade over the iPhone SE 2nd generation I had/have. They are both black. The old one weighs a little more and the new one has a fatter font for the time on the lock screen. Aside from that, I would and do have a hard time telling them apart. It's basically the lock screen that tells me which one I picked up. Sometimes I pick up both not realizing I already had one in my hand. I haven't yet decided what I am doing with the old one. I'll probably keep it. But I haven't figured out in what capacity.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I was at the taproom and talking with friends there. So it wasn't like I was just staring at the screen waiting for stuff to happen. Several times over the hour, I said, "if I had a phone, I'd look that up to you. But right now, I have two shiny bricks waiting to figure out who will be a phone again."

I got the iPhone SE 3rd generation which is an upgrade over the iPhone SE 2nd generation I had/have. They are both black. The old one weighs a little more and the new one has a fatter font for the time on the lock screen. Aside from that, I would and do have a hard time telling them apart. It's basically the lock screen that tells me which one I picked up. Sometimes I pick up both not realizing I already had one in my hand. I haven't yet decided what I am doing with the old one. I'll probably keep it. But I haven't figured out in what capacity.
Yeah, but the 3rd gen has a lot more memory, yes? I have the 2nd gen in black -- got it right around the time you got yours - with 64G and it's serving me well. I work at/from home too so my desktop is my workhorse and I don't get a lot of calls so the phone is mainly for texting and taking/sharing photos since 11Pro has made it well nigh impossible to store or share photos without adjuncts and/or $$$. I always hang on to phones. I have a small museum's worth :crackup:and really upgrade as seldom as possible since ewaste is not something I love adding to. I'll eventually get the 3rd gen or whatever the latest SE is when I'm forced to upgrade but for now, if it ain't broke, I'm not thinking about fixing.
You'll have a different pic of Ms. Betty on the new phone lockscreen, right? :hearthrob::kneading::hearthrob:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista is still on my Lock Screen. That’s the old phone taken with the new one. The only difference in Lock Screen is a fatter font used for the time. I don’t know where that is configured. But honestly, I find it helpful to tell them apart.

image.jpg
I wouldn’t have upgraded my phone except that apps are starting to pass me by. I left the old one on iOS 15 where it was already showing its age.

I also have a small technology museum in my closet. Not just old iPhones.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista is still on my Lock Screen. That’s the old phone taken with the new one. The only difference in Lock Screen is a fatter font used for the time. I don’t know where that is configured. But honestly, I find it helpful to tell them apart.

View attachment 475827
I wouldn’t have upgraded my phone except that apps are starting to pass me by. I left the old one on iOS 15 where it was already showing its age.

I also have a small technology museum in my closet. Not just old iPhones.
Oh, yeah. There are the (many more than) Two Towers and (Mostly But Not Exclusively Monitors and) Peripherals here, too. I wouldn't leave them out. Being who I am, I don't like letting anything containing data, wiped or not, out of my clutches so with plenty of garage and closet space, here it resides.
You can reconfigure font by going to SETTINGS>GENERAL and scroll down to FONTS.
You must use your phone a lot. I get auto updates easily and am on 17.4.1. 20.92 G of 64 are happily used, mostly with catpix, of course ;). How much space do you have on 3?
I love that pic of Krista. And miss her.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very different when it comes to old tech.
While I have not bought anything new in a while; the last one was a Mac air. My old MacBook I gave to my cousins grands, who is a comp genius! He helped make a comp from scratch! I made him wipe the drive. I knew I could trust him. The genius, opened up the laptop, cleaned it all and ordered a few parts for it. It was running beautifully. His mom loved it, so he gave it to her for Mother’s Day!

I used to live on an apartment with a balcony, with a concrete floor. I took my old desktop, and old phone— grabbed a mini sledgehammer, and took my anger out on them. After they were smashed, I put the pieces in a couple of plastic bags, mixing parts up, tossing them in the dumpster on different days— after the dumpster was emptied.

I thought I was kind of devious. I did not trust neighbors and dumpster divets

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
While I have not bought anything new in a while; the last one was a Mac air. My old MacBook I gave to my cousins grands, who is a comp genius! He helped make a comp from scratch! I made him wipe the drive. I knew I could trust him. The genius, opened up the laptop, cleaned it all and ordered a few parts for it. It was running beautifully. His mom loved it, so he gave it to her for Mother’s Day!

I used to live on an apartment with a balcony, with a concrete floor. I took my old desktop, and old phone— grabbed a mini sledgehammer, and took my anger out on them. After they were smashed, I put the pieces in a couple of plastic bags, mixing parts up, tossing them in the dumpster on different days— after the dumpster was emptied.

You might have liked a performance art piece I went to once. All these non working old teevees piled high in a giant room. The audience got to take turns rolling bowling balls at them. Sounds silly til you tried it.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hate to say it, but not safe. Government tech experts can still pull stuff off your hard drive even if your device has been submerged underwater or otherwise compromised. Of course, nothing is safe any more, truth be told. But we don't have to hand it to bad folks, do we?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yeah. There are the (many more than) Two Towers and (Mostly But Not Exclusively Monitors and) Peripherals here, too. I wouldn't leave them out. Being who I am, I don't like letting anything containing data, wiped or not, out of my clutches so with plenty of garage and closet space, here it resides.
You can reconfigure font by going to SETTINGS>GENERAL and scroll down to FONTS.
You must use your phone a lot. I get auto updates easily and am on 17.4.1. 20.92 G of 64 are happily used, mostly with catpix, of course ;). How much space do you have on 3?
I love that pic of Krista. And miss her.
Much of my museum pieces are smaller items like a couple of old Sun Microsystems LC (lunch box form factor - like the size of a pet fountain today), a small business router, a couple of home wifi routers, old phones, old tablets, and an old Sony Clie color PDA (hot 💩 at the time!) I also have a small collection of cat fountains.

I got 128 gb storage on my 2nd gen SE and 256 gb on my third gen. We're up to gb's right? I remember when they were mb's. I think I'm up to 24,000 photos and videos now. Mostly of cats. 😹😹 Although lately also of baseball cards. I will have to factory reset my iPad to get it updated because there's too many cats having too many bytes. 😸

I miss Krista too. There's a thousand different ways that Betty has filled in the broken heart and expanded it even further. But there's things Krista did or Krista and I did together that Betty and I don't share. Even though Betty is fantastically respectful of my work time and I love her for that, I do miss Krista showing up in her filling station saying, "you're not getting back to work until I get my fill." 😻
IMG_4302.JPG

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hate to say it, but not safe. Government tech experts can still pull stuff off your hard drive even if your device has been submerged underwater or otherwise compromised. Of course, nothing is safe any more, truth be told. But we don't have to hand it to bad folks, do we?
I think if you zeroed the drive (wrote zeroes to every byte in every sector), there is nothing left to recover. Data is written to disk in a nonlinear fashion. Often when you delete a file, you're just deleting the pointer to where that data was originally written. Or you are marking that space as available to overwrite. That data may still be in that location but the system no longer knows it's there. Like removing the card from the library lookup system. It's still on the shelves. But the librarian won't know how to find it. As long as those sectors are not written to, that data remains. Data recovery is going through the disk sector by sector looking for things that look like data or files and then putting them back together. It's akin to walking the shelves and taking an inventory of everything that may even look like a book regardless of what the library filing system said. Zeroing the drive would be writing zeroes to every bit in the bytes of the sectors on the drive. When the sectors are all zeroes, that's not simply available to rewrite. There's nothing left of what was there before. If every last bit is flipped to zero, there's no books, there's no shelves, there's no library. It's just an empty plot of erased land where the library once was.

Mechanically compromised is another story. Depending on the type of the drive, it may be perfectly possible to reconstruct a physically compromised drive as long as the data stored itself wasn't compromised. If there was a fire or a flood in the library, much of the data could still be recovered through facsimile or transcription even if the physical media was damaged. If you can read the text in the book, you can copy it to another book even if you can no longer put the original back on the shelves.

In other words, zero your drives before you go Office Space on them. :bat:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Much of my museum pieces are smaller items like a couple of old Sun Microsystems LC (lunch box form factor - like the size of a pet fountain today), a small business router, a couple of home wifi routers, old phones, old tablets, and an old Sony Clie color PDA (hot 💩 at the time!) I also have a small collection of cat fountains.

I got 128 gb storage on my 2nd gen SE and 256 gb on my third gen. We're up to gb's right? I remember when they were mb's. I think I'm up to 24,000 photos and videos now. Mostly of cats. 😹😹 Although lately also of baseball cards. I will have to factory reset my iPad to get it updated because there's too many cats having too many bytes. 😸

I miss Krista too. There's a thousand different ways that Betty has filled in the broken heart and expanded it even further. But there's things Krista did or Krista and I did together that Betty and I don't share. Even though Betty is fantastically respectful of my work time and I love her for that, I do miss Krista showing up in her filling station saying, "you're not getting back to work until I get my fill." 😻
View attachment 475830
WOW. Lotsa room. Lotsa opPURR-TUNA-ties! :winkcat: I have to take & share business/contractor stuff but then I wipe them.
Yeah, most of what you've got, I've got, too. Some UPSs, lots of cables, a router or two and yes, our first cat fountain. An early Bluetooth earpiece. NIB, never used. *sigh* AND...my dad's Apple computer. Not gonna say which one. It's not the goldmine, but of course it's old. And some programs. And some floppies. And not that it's hardware or software, but a nice accordion file of COBOL-related stuff of my dad's. :shocked:
Yes, each of our cats is a unique individual and each occupies a special place in our heart (and devices). What a GREAT pic!:hearthrob::lovecat2::hearthrob:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So today I see a guy walking away from the verandah and when I look, I see a package on the table by the door, even though I have no packages scheduled for delivery today. So I go and look and it's to another person, at another address some distance from this one. There's a phone number so I plan to call the recipient when I've finished doing what I was doing; but a couple minutes later, here comes another guy and he's explaining that it's for his address, and can he take it. Of course I say yes!
Guess who the shipper was.
Yup. FedEx.:insertevillaugh:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So today I see a guy walking away from the verandah and when I look, I see a package on the table by the door, even though I have no packages scheduled for delivery today. So I go and look and it's to another person, at another address some distance from this one. There's a phone number so I plan to call the recipient when I've finished doing what I was doing; but a couple minutes later, here comes another guy and he's explaining that it's for his address, and can he take it. Of course I say yes!
Guess who the shipper was.
Yup. FedEx.:insertevillaugh:
Oh dear. I have two speakers from Sonos supposedly being delivered tomorrow by...EffedEx. 🤦‍♂️ At least I'm already going to be home all day. When they lie to me and make an excuse about why they couldn't deliver, I'll simply call the number and tell them to hold it there. I'll come pick it up. Like I EffedEx wanted to in the first place! :bat:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear. I have two speakers from Sonos supposedly being delivered tomorrow by...EffedEx. 🤦‍♂️ At least I'm already going to be home all day. When they lie to me and make an excuse about why they couldn't deliver, I'll simply call the number and tell them to hold it there. I'll come pick it up. Like I EffedEx wanted to in the first place! :bat:
Yeah. They like to make us work for it. They're incredibly perverse.
How are you liking your phone so far? How many Betty pix have you taken with it so far today?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EffedEx is so weird. I couldn't get text updates on this delivery. I couldn't figure out if this delivery required signature. And the Manage Delivery functionality was broken the entire time this ticket was in their system. It's almost like they have different service levels and instead of adapting the website to services supported, they simply let it break where it's going to break. The packages actually got delivered. But it wasn't even so much as a ding dong ditch. It was simply a ditch. I only would have known about them (because I couldn't sign up for text alerts this time) because I was hovering over my email, checking it every twenty to thirty minutes.

I haven't set up the new speakers yet. I've been busy working and watching Taylor Swift's Paris show on YouTube. Someone is live streaming it to TikTok (which I don't have) and then someone else on YouTube is re-streaming it.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EffedEx is so weird. I couldn't get text updates on this delivery. I couldn't figure out if this delivery required signature. And the Manage Delivery functionality was broken the entire time this ticket was in their system. It's almost like they have different service levels and instead of adapting the website to services supported, they simply let it break where it's going to break. The packages actually got delivered. But it wasn't even so much as a ding dong ditch. It was simply a ditch. I only would have known about them (because I couldn't sign up for text alerts this time) because I was hovering over my email, checking it every twenty to thirty minutes.

I haven't set up the new speakers yet. I've been busy working and watching Taylor Swift's Paris show on YouTube. Someone is live streaming it to TikTok (which I don't have) and then someone else on YouTube is re-streaming it.
Is that guy even wearing anything?!! :shocked:
I just got in as they were signing off. :bawling: Must have been a phenomenal show.:bawling2:
Too bad you didn't have your speakers for it. :sniffle:
Yeah, I know. But they're not the only ones. I have a major issue with MS and I went on their "community" and looked around etc. They said yeah, they know there's a problem and no, they haven't fixed it.
Thanks, guys. That's what I pay you for. :bat:
Really, it's enough to make people just accept SNAFU and FUBAR and just give up.
Except, not us because we're aspy.
Taylor wouldn't give up. :headshake: but it feels like :frustrated:
and entities I don't WANT to contact me never miss a beat. Even though I've declined their services more times than I can count and told them point blank not to contact me.
Ain't life grand?:sigh: