I entered my first real pool tournament!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I entered my first "real" pool tournament. It's happening today, starting at 11am. Although I'm quite good a pool, I would still be considered an amateur. When asking the guy who organized it who else had entered, I'm the lowest ranked person...so my expectations of winning are not exactly "up there". :lol: But I'm sure it'll be fun. The reason I entered this one is because it's a small tournament and I know most of the people who also entered, so I'm hoping it won't feel overwhelming...I'm not really into "competition". Also, the way tournament is tracked is by cumulative points, not just win/lose so I won't be out if I lose my first few games...I think my husband said that the least amount of games I will play is something like 14 or 16, so I'm not wasting my entry fee on just 2-3 games...it'll still be a full fun day.
Although I don't expect to win, I'm hoping I'm "on" today and can at least hold my own and play some good games and be a good opponent. It's not fun to lose with bad numbers but it's also not fun to win when you just crush someone who you know is not as good as you...it's not a "I did great" win...It more of a "sorry, I beat the poop out of you" win. It's one of the things I like about the league I'm in....we all want everyone to have fun and the great players truly want the amateurs to learn and get better.

So anyway,

Wish me luck! And who knows...maybe I'll be lucky enough that all my opponents mess up at some point during our games and I clean the table! lol!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well.....as expected, I did not win, but I did have fun. Good news, even though I was the lowest ranked person entered...I did NOT get last place!!!!!! Woot!.........I got second to last! :lol: :rolleyes2: But I consider that a win! My husband and I were also asked to help with the score keeping, keeping the matches running smoothly and the bets. It did keep the day moving quickly, but it was a long day. It does take a little more out of you when you have to pay attention to everything going on and not just worry about your own games. We only got home about 30 minutes ago, so I'm beat.
I received several comments thru the day that my game has really improved over the season. One guy who is one of the top players in our entire league (but does not play in our division) even came up to me and said that I have great potential. He said that I'm an awesome shot, I just have to tweak a few bad habits that are hindering my game. That once I can correct them, I could go really far. He even offered to teach me a few things if we ever get a chance to meet. He didn't have to say that, so it's encouraging to hear coming from someone who is a top player.
I will for sure enter this tournament next year.
It's so funny...so we do something called a calcutta. You have an auction, where people are betting on who they think will win. I got auctioned off for a $40 bet. HA!....for some perspective...others got auctioned for closer to $200. The calcutta pot raised $1750. And don't feel bad for the person who lost out on $40....my husband was the one who bet on me!

Anyway,
It was fun, but I'm pooped, so I'm going to sit and watch some TV and probably get to bed soon enough.