How To Stop Screen Door Climbing?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New kitten, new place. I opened up the screen door so he could look out and he Velcro kitty climbed up the screen door a few times .... then I shut the door.

My question is long term how do I train him to leave it be so he can get fresh air and window watch? Part of it is just his age (he is almost 4 months.) When he gets older will he out grow it as he weighs more? I can't let him destroy the screen, I'm renting.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a clue of how to train him, but mine did stop when they got heavier. They were the sort who climbed our clothes when we were wearing them, until they hit about 4 lbs.

You'll need to be certain your screens are tightly fastened in their frames. And be aware that your cat may break the screen because, "Mom, you shoulda heard what he called me and you! I had to bust out and show 'im." I never had it happen, but others have.

In some ways it's safest to let them sit in first floor windows and in others second floor is safer. If you have a Jack Russell running free in your neighborhood, I'd go for second floor only. JR's have been known to snatch cats out of their windows.

On the whole screens are very good for keeping cats inside. Some people think cats will stay in if the window is several stories up even without a screen. Cats do fall out of windows, usually those without screens.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ask your landlord about a screen door protector and if you can install one. If you can't install it because of space or the landlord won't allow, just putting it in front of the screen when the door is open for longer periods work. We put one side in the groove for the door and the other side is held in place with a big spring clamp.

While you might be able to train a cat it would take more time then you have (meaning by the time you managed to train it would be damaged). So blocking access is the best option. Of my three cats, two we've managed to trian and the third we just limit his access. For training it's just repeating "no" and moving them away when they do it.

Part of it is also what the door means to your cat. My cats go outside so the door is access. My two have learned that they can ask to go out by pawing at the door to make it rattle or meowing. We opened the door only if they made sounds that did not include clawing at the screen. My Mom's cat is a stubborn brat and still thinks digging into the screen and pulling is the best way.

If your cat doesn't go outside, the screen is climbing and stretching. So you might succeed by putting a good cat tree near the door. That would give the climbing, stretching/scratching and a high view out the door without involving the screen itself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is around 5 pounds now or almost 5 pounds. You can tell it has been years since I had to kitten proof things. I will keep the screen closed for a couple of months and see if he outgrows it or if I need to get a screen guard.

His cat tree is by my bedroom window so he can look out and go on top of my wardrobe.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The screen guards are amazing. Wish they'd had them before, maybe they did and we didn't know cause there wasn't any Amazon. We used chicken wire and screwed it into the window sills and edges whatever they're call. They worked, but I'm guessing you could wave your pet deposit good-by.

firesong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
New kitten, new place. I opened up the screen door so he could look out and he Velcro kitty climbed up the screen door a few times .... then I shut the door.

My question is long term how do I train him to leave it be so he can get fresh air and window watch? Part of it is just his age (he is almost 4 months.) When he gets older will he out grow it as he weighs more? I can't let him destroy the screen, I'm renting.

firesong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Siamese diva is a relentless screen-climber; it's simply part of her very athletic persona! My 2 boys - 1 Siamese, 1 DSH - are content to sit and observe the world beyond the screen. I keep the screen door locked, so that my little acrobat doesn't accidentally open the screen door by stepping on the handle on her way up (or down) that door. I've also replaced the standard screening with "paw-proof" screening, which is heavier and much more resilient than standard screening. No more little claw-holes (and potential ports of entry for mosquitoes, etc.) in the screening! My local hardware store does the entire replacement process (including supplies and labor) for about $50 per door. Alternatively, you can purchase pet-proof or paw-proof screening locally or via amazon.com and do the installation yourself. See link to one of amazon.com's options: