How Long To Wait After Cerenia Injection?

AnneJulien

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat just got a Cerenia injection for a little vomiting he's had the last two days. Despite the vomiting, he is in very good spirits. He hasn't eaten in about nine hours (he wasn't supposed to eat before going in to the vet) and after the vet visit, I was told he shouldn't eat another 24 hours after the Cerenia injection. He's a thin cat that self-regulates his food intake very well and is back to being lively and is very hungry.

Is it really so bad to give him a little food to have in his stomach?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't have much experience with this but I am confused about the wait. As I understand it, the injection really lasts at most 24 hours. So, I am having trouble with the concept of withholding food for the amount of time the injection actually lasts. Did you ask the vet what the purpose was in doing so? If not, I would call them and ask.

Hopefully, other members who have used Cerenia for vomiting can come along and help explain this. Be patient, some times it takes a while for members to log on and read posts before they come across yours. Hang in there until then!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When did he get the Cerenia shot? My Ruby got it last summer, and I believe I was supposed to wait a couple hours, before feeding her. Does it say anything on your invoice? If not, probably you should call the vet to find out for sure.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just checked my files, and it said to wait 1 to 2 hours after the Cerenia shot before giving Ruby any food. The shot itself lasts for 24 hours.

Welcome to TCS, btw. I hope your cat feels better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AnneJulien

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So the vet did say the injection lasts 24 hours and gave me two 16 mg pills to give over the next two days with no specific fasting instructions. She said withholding food was to "give it time to work" and make sure he wouldn't vomit (the

In reading other people's experience with Cerenia in cats, they seem to have the opposite problem, that their cats lose their appetite completely, so I read his obvious hunger as a good sign. About twenty minutes ago I broke and gave him about 20 kibbles which he happily ate (not too fast) and is still acting perfectly normal and content.

I'm answer to the second poster's question, he got the shot about two hours ago and has had no visible side effects (no lethargy, good appetite, no vomiting, is drinking water normally).

AnneJulien

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just checked my files, and it said to wait 1 to 2 hours after the Cerenia shot before giving Ruby any food. The shot itself lasts for 24 hours.

Welcome to TCS, btw. I hope your cat feels better soon.
Thank you for your help! So far he's looking top notch.

AnneJulien

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is! He's all black, but a few months ago he sprouted a white whisker which contrasted drastically with his black fur.

WinniesMomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has had a couple Cerenia injections (she has gastro issues), and the vet didn't give a certain time to withhold food from her. She ate a small amount after coming home from the vet and was okay. I hope your kitty is doing well!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
and gave me two 16 mg pills to give over the next two days with no specific fasting instructions.
Don't give an entire 16 mg Cerenia to your cat:eek3: The pills are meant for dogs and a whole pill is a dog dose. A cat dose is typically no more than 1/4 of the pill, or 4 mg. Please call your vet to confirm the Cerenia pill dose. If the vet insists on the entire pill, run and get another opinion from a different vet.

The pills work best if given at least half an hour before a meal. Use Pill Pockets to make the pill giving easier.

Cats who do not eat enough calories daily are at risk for fatty liver disease. I would seriously question the vet's recommendation to withhold food for a full day after a Cerenia injection.