Help! Low carb hydeolized protien?

Finchegg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all.
I hav a kitty who is in diabetic remission so needs to stay low carb, and another kitty who has poultry and possibly fish allwrgies. I have "Young Again" zero carb and it seems to make the diabetic remission kitty vomit so I'm looking for the lowest possible carb prescription hydrolized protien dry food. I can't seperatly feed the cats because there are others that have seperate health needs and I don't have the space or time to babysit all the cats at feeding times twice a day. Just need a dry food that can be out! Thanks for any help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Finchegg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh! Also, due to the toothless heart condition kitty not mentioned above the kibble needs to be smaller, and I'm trying SO hard to avoid legumes. I will go to any lengths for these guys and have forever but this conundrum has me against a wall....

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm not sure there is such a thing as low carb prescription food. It seems those prescription foods are full of carbs. You didn't mention why you need hydrolyzed food, or why you want it to be a prescription food. Do you also have a cat with food sensitivities? VTW, I have heard that if you are using hydrolyzed protein, it can be something that your cat may have a sensitivity to, like chicken or fish, as long as it is hydrolyzed, I know Young Again uses some hydrolyzed protein and some not. Too bad they don't use ALL hydrolyzed proteins when they chose to have more than one protein in a particular food. Oh well.

I am attaching a thread you might find quite interesting: High Protein Food Trial

Within that thread there is a link to "dry cat foods tested" That may be beneficial to you.

Finchegg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I'll check it out...yes, one kitty has poultry and possibly fish intolerance, one needs low carb, and one needs small kibble only because Ive spent soooo many years breaking up kibble that is too large for older dentally challenged cats and now suffer from 'cat kibble re-sizing' PTSD.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you tried feeding wet food to them? Wet food, particularly pates, are typically much lower in carbs for your diabetic cat, would be easy on your toothless guy, and also come in limited ingredient varieties. You mentioned you feed twice per day, so I take this to mean you don't have "grazers", but maybe you do and I am misinterpreting this :dunno:?

Anyway,

Finchegg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
They all fet wet food twice a day but because they are al gereatric and my diabetic remission guy needs level blood sugar they need to graze.
I would include a list of all the foods I've tried but it would be pages. I just got Rawbble beef and they all love it but I'm already at about $300 a month for my kitties and on a very limited income and Rawbble is soooo pricey! But seems like a darn good food.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you get the Rawwble freeze dried or canned? I think the freeze dried is one of the least expensive of that particular type of food available, but I guess it depends on where you get it. I use Chewy and put everything on autoship so get a small discount for that, plus can return things if they are "fails".

So glad they like the Rawwble beef, and if it IS the freeze dried, that should certainly work for your diabetic cat. Since they also eat canned food, at least you don't need to give them a whole lot of this, so one bag can last longer.