Hello and question

baymeezer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've always been a dog person and have a wonderful 11 year old hound. My girlfriend has a cat and now I realize how great they can be and looking at getting one. I like the curiosity and talkative nature of the Siamese and very much have done my research and would like to adopt one.  I found one at a local shelter they consider a Siamese mix.  It's all white, except for the blue eyes and just a 'touch' of 'red' on his head.

I've spent time with him - talks a little and is very playful.  But this is all in the environment of the shelter.  Can someone tell me if he really has Siamese in him. I'm on the fence, as a laymen, it appears so - but even the woman at the shelter wasn't sure. He also has very pink pads (I thought I read that might mean he is Siamese).  It may seem trivial, but living with a cat for the next 15-20 years, I'd like not to be disappointed (even if the personality is what i thought it was).

Thanks.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Pipsqueak, who was all white with blue eyes as a young kitten and up till about a years of age, has turned into a red tabby flame point Siamese (apple head ;)). You can see him in my avatar rotation or if you click on his picture/name in my signature. The older he got the more color he attained. I think he was almost well over two years of age before all of his beautiful coloring came in. I think this cat is absolutely beautiful and I would bet that he will turn out to be a wonderful addition to your family. I, too, have both dogs and cats. Pipsqueak is very playful and outgoing with the dogs. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I've spent time with him - talks a little and is very playful.  But this is all in the environment of the shelter.  Can someone tell me if he really has Siamese in him. I'm on the fence, as a laymen, it appears so - but even the woman at the shelter wasn't sure. He also has very pink pads (I thought I read that might mean he is Siamese).  It may seem trivial, but living with a cat for the next 15-20 years, I'd like not to be disappointed (even if the personality is what i thought it was).

Thanks.
I think its actually the other way around.

The only way for you to know if you really get a siamese and not a pointed who got hes genes from two point carriers, is to buy it with papers and certificate and all.   And it will still be a guessing game, as cats are individuals.  Even if them purebreds do have certain typical behavior traits.

Who know if he get fancy in you as his human??   He may choose your girlfriend as his closest human, for example.

Here, HERE you can see if you get connection with this cat.  If you see you do have a connection of souls, you dont need to hesitate..

This way, buying from a good shelter, where you can choose, and be chosen, and have time to get acquinted...

You can probably ask to lend the cat home a week...

Good luck!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Now I continue.

So, what I want to say.  If you want a beautiful point, with whom you do have a good connection and you want to live 15 years with, yes, do consider strongly this fellow.   They dont get much more beautiful than this!

But if it is important for you to have a real, "typical", purebred siamese, I think you shall look after others.

The safest is to buy from an established breeder, with papers and all.   If money is a issue, they have perhaps one unsold, a little older kitten, whom they cant not longer take full price for.

Or some kitten of "pet qualtiy", whom is nice, healthy, etc, but where perhaps the coloring isnt perfect for showing.  Or whose brothers were much used in breeding, so this kitten although healthy and good in type, cant himself be used in breeding. And not being really top not looks, can be used for succesful showing either.   Be sure you get the papers with you, although you pay for a "pet qualtity cat"!  - the registration itself costs perhaps max 20 dollars, so its hardly any big extra cost.

If it is important for you, to do a good deed at the same time, and save a cat whom its pity about -  and who is a siamese for real - 

there is an organization whom rescue siameses and other pointed breeds.  true, some of the cats they do admit are good look alikes.  Not all are  fireproofed and watertight purebred siameses.

But Im sure you can choose there, and choose either a purebred siamese with papers or at least, solid evidences "he has no papers, but we know his late suddenly deceased owner  had only purebred cats and also did showed him"

or a look alike whom is behaving in every inch like an typical siamese...

Hope my posts did helped you some.

Good luck!  @baymeezer  

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

baymeezer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Thank you for the insight.  I'm really just trying to ascertain opinions based on looks.

I fully understand and agree with what you are saying.  In essence, unless you are getting a Siamese from a reputable breeder (and with papers) you will not know for sure if it's truly Siamese - and thus have the personality qualities I want.  Beyond that, even a pure bred Siamese may not turn out to 'act' the way I want.  Seeing one and spending time is a good way of finding that out.

That is why I am where I am.  I found a beautiful looking cat and does have a great personality.  He seems to have some of the traits I want in the personality.  I know it's a mixed breed and just because he has 'points' one day doesn't make him Siamese in full.

However, I would like at least to attempt to find a cat with a personality I like and have a good chance of being some part of the breed I want.  It's important to me - I'm living with this cat for 15 years. I would NEVER regret a family pet.  But, there are plenty of cats in the World to save and getting the one with the qualities I want is important.  To some this seems like a crazy argument and I cant' explain myself further.

Simply, I know looks don't tell the whole story. BUT - I really would like opinions on whether he appears physically to what you expect from the Siamese.  (Realizing still further that the Flame Points aren't technically Siamese).

Thanks.