Felv - I Have Lost Felix

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been off the boards for ages, recuperating from a series of health and emotional problems, and general stress. Things had been getting better till last week, when I lost my Felix to FeLV.
Four weeks ago I took him the vet as he seemed off form and the guy on duty (not my regular vet) insisted he had a stomach infection and gave him antibiotics. It helped for a while, but he continued to lose weight and was very lethargic. What really alarmed me to the possible situation was neurological - he began to have very violent dreams, running furiously with his legs in the air, or having spasms that caused him to fall of a chair or sofa. These only happened when he was asleep. He also stopped eating for two days and I began syringe feeding with goat milk and broth. Anyway, I took him to our regular vet, we did a blood test and found the explanation for everything. The vet reckoned he was pretty far advanced, and I could not bear to take him home for a few uncomfortable days, force feeding and keeping him isolated from the others. So I let him go.

Of course I am now in the process of having everyone else tested, starting with his sister, Gatine. So far five are negative, including Gatine, but we are going to retest her in a month's time and meanwhile I am keeping her isolated in a bathroom. Since everyone has been vaccinated, I hope there will be no horrible surprises.

Felix and Gatine came to me two years ago as foster kittens, and we tried to get them adopted, but although they were lovely kittens, no-one would take a tuxedo and a tortie together and I ended up agreeing with the shelter that I would keep them. I only became their legal owner three weeks ago, so it is a terrible shock to lose one so soon. Gatine is very unhappy. losing her companion and now being on her own, but we must hope that she will be cleared.
We can only assume that Felix was infected before he was vaccinated and came here to stay. It is a warning to be very careful even when you think you have done everything.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, Jenny. I'm so sorry to read this sad news. :hugs:

:vibes::vibes::vibes: that Gatine is okay.

SharkyandCinnamon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. :( My cat Sharky is also currently suffering, from large cell lymphoma. :(