Comparing Exquisicat Pine and Equine Fresh litter

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just switched to Exquisicat Pine a week or so ago. (On sale for $12 & change for 40 lbs at PetSmart.)

All of the kitties have adapted just fine, and I am so glad I don't have to smell and see and step on tiny bits of clay everywhere!

My question for anyone who has tried Equine Fresh and Exquisicat (or Feline Pine)

is it really the same? I know that they kiln dry the cat littler well - what about the Equine Fresh?

Does it seem as dry? Does it break down the same way? Does it smell as good as the others?

I like the price break, but are there any negatives with the Equine Fresh? 

Thanks!

hobo08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does it really scoop clean? I use Tidy Cats and there is always small clumps left behind that fall through the litter scoop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hobo08, Pine litter is completely different from clumping clay. It is much easier and less messy.

It smells much better, and the kitties don't track it all over the house!

When it gets wet, it turns into sawdust and drops to the bottom of the pan. You only have to scoop the poo.

I used duct tape and converted one small scoop into a "shovel" (just covered the slots) so that when I scoop,

I can remove some of the sawdust. I then shake the box a little to help to settle the remaining sawdust to the bottom.

The pine absorbs the pee smell so much better than Fresh Step, and since you aren't scooping clay,

the bags of waste become much smaller and much lighter.

You can empty the box once the pellets have all turned to dust,

or get a sifting litter box and pour it through - the good pellets will stay on top and can be reused.

I'm making a sifter with a plastic litter pan. I'm cutting out most of the bottom panel, adding a bead of silicone around the inside bottom edges that remain,

and adding some wire mesh material that I got at Lowes. Once a week, I'll take the litter boxes outside and dump them through the sifter.

The dust can be dumped in a natural area, as it will decompose quickly. I'm going to dump mine around the outside perimeter of the garden...

it just might help to keep some of the critters away from my veggies 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, the sifter I made works beautifully, and MUCH less messy than using a sifting litter box in the house.

Anyone have any input on the Equine Fresh?

I went to my local TSC yesterday, but rather than Equine Fresh, they had Equine Pine.

According to the reviews from Horse Owners, the Equine Fresh is the best, so I didn't buy it.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am using equine pine from tractor supply and very happy with it.  I have multiple cats and it was an easy switch for the most part.  It was just on sale for 5 a bag and a few busted bags were 1/2 off

I think the difference between the two is minimal and seems for awhile by me its only equine pine(blue bag)  I have been told they order it in and it comes as either or  no way to get the other one.  The bags are a bit weaker is the major issue I had so I threw a moving blanket on the bed so the bags are not getting ripped in car.