Cat spraying and meowing

Cruzgirl93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat is 1 year and 2 months old and I made the mistake of pushing getting him neutered too late and the spay and neuter clinic doesnt open until May 4th due to the Covid virus. Every day and night my cat is meowing non stop and has now started to spray all over my house please help with any suggestions of what to do until I'm able to get him fixed when the clinic opens. I have 3 older cats that are fixed and female as well and all 4 are indoor cats.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try playing with him more to wear him out some. There is not a lot to do until he is neutered. Some pet stores are open and some have curbside pickup. Maybe get some calming spray or a calming collar for him? Good luck!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, not sure if there is much you can do until you get him neutered.

And please be aware that it will take a few weeks for the hormones to leave his body once he's neutered, so don't expect immediate changes. And, unfortunately, there is the chance that now that he's started to spray, he might continue even after neutering. Hopefully not, but it's possible. :sigh:

Meanwhile, is it possible to keep him contained in a smaller part of the house, so the spraying is not everywhere. And do ensure you use an enzyme cleaner to clean the areas where he's sprayed, to totally remove the urine scent. You might also be able to put down puppy pee pads, if he's spraying in the same places.

Here's some TCS articles with more info:

How to Successfully Combat Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine | TheCatSite
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home | TheCatSite
How Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions | TheCatSite
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens | TheCatSite

Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory