Cat peeing on the floor

Sarebare

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help everyone! My cat has anxiety, I feel it’s mostly separation anxiety. She seems fine through the day although she always misses us when we are not home all day.
we’ve taken her to the vet so many times and tried so many different things. The vet diagnosed her with anxiety so she is now on anti anxiety medication.
before she was on it, During the night she used to cry out to us while we were sleeping, go crazy and keep us awake. And she got to a the point where she was peeing every morning in the same spot, she’d hold her bladder and let it all out.

now she is much calmer at night, doesn’t cry out to us, but it still peeing sometimes on the floor. I don’t know how to stop this or why she is still doing it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS. Based on what you've told us, it sounds like most of the anxiety related incidents have dissipated, and now you are faced with inappropriate peeing first thing in the morning. If it is always in the same general area, it could be that her scent is still there from peeing before and that can act as invitation to go there again and again. So, the first thing to do is to thoroughly clean that area with an enzymatic cleaner - you may have to consider bringing in a professional that deals with pet urine to clean it for you.

Does she sleep in your bedroom? Is there a litter box in there? She may not want to leave the room because that is where you are at, so she holds the pee until morning. Placing a litter box in your bedroom might help if this is the issue. Puting her in the litter box before bedtime might help too. You could also consider placing a litter box on top of the area where she is peeing.

If I have made some wrong assumptions, let me know,by prividing more details/specifics and that might help with coming up with other ideas/solutions.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has anxiety as well, recently put on gabapentin at night. She was crying all night every night. Did her vet rule out hyperthyroidism? Otherwise, everything FeebysOwner mentioned here are very good suggestions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sarebare

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS. Based on what you've told us, it sounds like most of the anxiety related incidents have dissipated, and now you are faced with inappropriate peeing first thing in the morning. If it is always in the same general area, it could be that her scent is still there from peeing before and that can act as invitation to go there again and again. So, the first thing to do is to thoroughly clean that area with an enzymatic cleaner - you may have to consider bringing in a professional that deals with pet urine to clean it for you.

Does she sleep in your bedroom? Is there a litter box in there? She may not want to leave the room because that is where you are at, so she holds the pee until morning. Placing a litter box in your bedroom might help if this is the issue. Puting her in the litter box before bedtime might help too. You could also consider placing a litter box on top of the area where she is peeing.

If I have made some wrong assumptions, let me know,by prividing more details/specifics and that might help with coming up with other ideas/solutions.
Thank you very much for your reply.
I’ll try cleaning it properly. I’ve tried home stuff first as the enzyme cleaners are expensive.
And for a while I wasn’t sure that it would help till we fixed her anxiety first.
she doesn’t sleep in my bedroom only sometimes if I’m napping during the day. She’s mostly up at night playing.
thankfully I won’t have to try that as we have a dog and she will just eat her poop. Lol btw marking territory isn’t the problem either because the cat and dog are best friends.
i have also tried putting the litter box on top of where she pees. When she hadn’t started her meds yet. She just peed right next to the box instead. Lol

might just try the cleaning and encouraging her to go before bed I think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sarebare

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has anxiety as well, recently put on gabapentin at night. She was crying all night every night. Did her vet rule out hyperthyroidism? Otherwise, everything FeebysOwner mentioned here are very good suggestions.
yeah the vets checked everything and she’s all normal. Just an anxious cat. Thank you, I’m gonna try some of feebyowners suggestions.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats are very sensitive to smells.Household cleaners often have ammonia and other things in them the make peeing issues worse. Enyzme cleaners are expensive, but important for peeing issues.
Try mopping up pee. washing with mild dish soap and water, rinse really really well, then use enzyme cleaner. You will not need as much enyzme cleaner this way.