Cat peeing on my bed when I leave

spylix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The past two times my partner and I have left overnight my female cat has peed on the bed. First time was on his clothes that were left on the bed, and then just on his side of the bed.
She’s a year and a half old, fixed, and when we are home she uses the litter robot fine. We have two robots for our four cats. In the past we had an issue where our male cat chases and bullies her but it hasn’t been happening recently.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am not an advocate of thinking cats plot, but your male cat may be taking advantage of when no one is in the home to chase her. It is just a thought, but something you might look into as a starting point. If you plan on leaving again anytime soon, you might separate them to see it that matters any. You can also place a tarp over the bed to see if that would stop her, or at least collect the urine. But she may go elsewhere then if she doesn't want to get up on the tarped bed. Some baby cams set up might also be something else to consider when no one is home, just to see what might be happening while you are gone.

Other folks will likely tell you to have a vet check her out, including a urinalysis to see if that might reveal a urinary issue, even something like cystitis. Cystitis can cause inappropriate peeing due to stress.

I am sure other members will come up with some other suggestions for you as well.

BTW, has the constipation and spay site issues resolved? If not, there could be a connection at least with the constipation, as that can also trigger inappropriate peeing.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Seconding FeebysOwner FeebysOwner 's post.

Given that this only happens when the cats are alone overnight, I'm going to place medical issues further down the list, although FIC (Feline Ideopathic Cystitis, inflamed urinary tract infection with NO physical cause) is certainly a possibility. This seems to be a stress reaction of some sort. Is she more bonded with you or with your partner? That might have some bearing on this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spylix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I am not an advocate of thinking cats plot, but your male cat may be taking advantage of when no one is in the home to chase her. It is just a thought, but something you might look into as a starting point. If you plan on leaving again anytime soon, you might separate them to see it that matters any. You can also place a tarp over the bed to see if that would stop her, or at least collect the urine. But she may go elsewhere then if she doesn't want to get up on the tarped bed. Some baby cams set up might also be something else to consider when no one is home, just to see what might be happening while you are gone.

Other folks will likely tell you to have a vet check her out, including a urinalysis to see if that might reveal a urinary issue, even something like cystitis. Cystitis can cause inappropriate peeing due to stress.

I am sure other members will come up with some other suggestions for you as well.

BTW, has the constipation and spay site issues resolved? If not, there could be a connection at least with the constipation, as that can also trigger inappropriate peeing.
Thank you that’s all very helpful advice. Im going to try everything possible to help resolve this. :)
Also different cat that was having the constipation issues but thankfully she has fully recovered!

spylix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Seconding FeebysOwner FeebysOwner 's post.

Given that this only happens when the cats are alone overnight, I'm going to place medical issues further down the list, although FIC (Feline Ideopathic Cystitis, inflamed urinary tract infection with NO physical cause) is certainly a possibility. This seems to be a stress reaction of some sort. Is she more bonded with you or with your partner? That might have some bearing on this.
That’s what I think too but keeping every possibility in mind. She is definitely more bonded to him, she will normally sleep between his legs at night. Which I now realize would stress her out. It’s only happened right after we leave for the night too. Never when he leaves for work, or if we’re gone during the day.
is it possible it could really make her feel that stressed out ?

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That kind of thing also happens with old kitties who have hyperthyroidism. Like Big Boy. Or at least it appears.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My first thought is that the leaving overnight stresses her out and then she has an FIC episode. (Stress causing inflammation of the bladder).

It could be bullying while you're gone too ans then she can't make it to the bathroom!

Do you have any cameras up when you're away to see what's up? Does anyone come by? We found that having someone come by drastically changed our cat's anxiety for the better. We were having some bad separation anxiety in one of our cats

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Which I now realize would stress her out. It’s only happened right after we leave for the night too. Never when he leaves for work, or if we’re gone during the day.
That may be it, in a nutshell. Cats love their routines, those routines are everything to them. IF you go out at night, she may be worried that you won't be back, and what will happen to me at bedtime????? Then she pees on something that smells the most like him (clothes, his side of the bed) to mark this as "theirs" as a comfort to herself.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
S spylix , the above comments are good ones. Cats are very much creatures of pattern and habit (like a lot of us, myself included) and many of them do not like changes to their routines. Your girl may have some kind of separation anxiety, as another possibility. The bullying issue may come into play as well.
Cat behaviorists strongly suggest one box for each cat, plus an extra. I scoop at least 5 times daily, which is more than a lot of people do, I know, but put yourself in their place: would you want to use a dirty toilet, especially one that others have used? If you work away from home, I know you can't be there to scoop every time anyone goes; but that one-box-per-cat-plus-one may be helpful. Try to place those boxes out of high-traffic and/or noisy areas, and not in areas where a scared cat can't get away from a bullying cat. Also, I've never used an automatic box, but if there is noise involved in it cleaning, your girl may be scared of/intimidated by it. Something to consider.

spylix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My first thought is that the leaving overnight stresses her out and then she has an FIC episode. (Stress causing inflammation of the bladder).

It could be bullying while you're gone too ans then she can't make it to the bathroom!

Do you have any cameras up when you're away to see what's up? Does anyone come by? We found that having someone come by drastically changed our cat's anxiety for the better. We were having some bad separation anxiety in one of our cats
Yeah I’m worried that could be it too. :( us leaving has to be a trigger because she did use the litter box later on after the accident in the night/early morning according to the app.
I haven’t put a camera in the room with their litter robots but I’m going to move one litter box away and give her a room she can stay in if we leave and hopefully make her space/territory.
I have a camera in the bedroom since their beds are in there and that’s how I caught the accidents haha

also we have a family member staying with us but he doesn’t normally come out of the room much. If we do have to leave again I’ll have to ask him to check on her and give her some extra love.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a cat pee in our suitcases when we got back. Happened with two separate trips, (doh!!!) so I definitely believe that this is a possible stress reaction.

You could always put a shower curtain over the bed when you go overnight. You do have to be able to live your life, and going overnight is a perfectly reasonable thing which doesn't phase most cats much.

spylix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi lovelies. Vet prescribed 1 ML gabapentin and clavamox while we wait for urine and blood results. Also trying feliway this weekend :)
she seems more calm and relaxed 🩷

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feliway, like so many things, is something that either works with a cat, or does not work at all. But when it works, it usually works MAGIC!