Brother bullying his sister! :/

gnaomim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
(Sorry so long!! Just wanted to get all the info in here.)

My mother's cats are about 9 years old, born in 2000. They were kept together because as kittens, they were inseparable. They were fixed together and my mother had them declawed together (
).

Apollo, the pale orange tabby, is a moose! He's 21 pounds and won't stop eating so he only gets fed canned food twice a day in small portions.

Fae, the dainty tortois-shell is skinny as a rail and has a delicate stomach so she gets extra food twice a day (since she can't be free-fed or her brother will eat it).

They are both large cats structurally but one is much too fat while the other looks sickly skinny.

We've tried just about everything to resolve this issue but Apollo is so bull-headed it's hard to keep him from doing whatever he wants. He has been bullying his sister, Fae for years. They've both been checked regularly by vets and were in very recently for shots and check-ups. The vets have all sworn that Apollo is perfectly healthy just that he needs to lose weight and the same goes for Fae as long as she gains weight.

Apollo can't seem to stand the sight of his sister getting anything she wants. If you pet her, he tries to muscle in and shove her out just by sheer mass (no agression just pushing her out)... Although I suspect he just wants you to feed him. That's usually the case. Fae is SO delicate and sensitive, she just walks away without a fight. Same goes for food. He will NOT let her eat. I feed them every morning and every evening and I have to shut him in the laundry room with his food while Fae eats. Fae eats VERY slowly! Like she can't handle solid food or has been starved for so long her poor stomach isn't used to being full and threatens to upset on her and cause her to cough it all back up again. Apollo on the other hand, can inhale his food in about 2.4 seconds flat and be up on Fae's perch eating her food just as fast (and he will eat it all while Fae watches). Also, Apollo likes to beat up on Fae periodically though I never see it.

His new trick is to whine and howl in the laundry room until someone lets him out even though he hasn't touched HIS food. (Which he normally snarfs down.) He then bee-lines for Fae and tries to get to her food unless I hover over her and keep him at bay. Even when Apollo is safely tucked away in the laundry room, Fae is a jumpy eater. Every little noise makes her stop eating and duck back away from her food, looking for the source of the noise and only resumes eating, no matter how hungry she is, when I pet her and reasure her that her brother isn't around. Sometimes she will sit by the bowl staring at her food for half an hour waiting for her tummy to feel good enough for her to finish her dinner. I believe that's because my family (I've been away for several years) has been so lax in making sure that she eats that her body is used to surviving on virtually nothing; on little nibbles and nothing more. Suddenly she's getting all the food she needs and it's taking some getting used to.

Second problem, Apollo is REALLY annoyed that his sister is getting fed properly and/or that he's shut in the bathroom and can't get at the extra food she gets, so he beats up on her even harder! She has little scabs all over her neck and head from him but I never manage to catch him doing anything but lounging innocently on a table top or shelf.

They are still buddies to some extent, like when they were little, but he's been getting more and more pushy with her. It all centers around food and attention too. She's allowed to sit where she pleases, go where she wants and they often cuddle together. I don't think it's territorial. As long as food or attention aren't at stake, he leaves her alone. He will even tollerate her getting a little attention but not for long, he eventually muscles in, jumps into the face of the person petting Fae and she automatically surrenders her spot as if trying to avoid a scuffle. (Fae is a total doll-baby most of the time.)

These two don't often respond to toys. I don't remember if catnip gets them or not and my mother doesn't have any right now. And to top it off, we're all adjusting to a new puppy who is only about 15 weeks old. She's learning not to bother the cats but they tend to do "drive-by" swats at her. (I printed out the bit on teaching puppies not to chase cats from one of the other posts here so it's under controll.) However, I can't blame the dog for this because it's been going on for far longer than she's been around. And because my parents moved, the cats aren't allowed in the upstairs so despite the basement being large and finished and fairly active throughout the day, Fae has no where to get away from her bully brother.

*Sigh* I don't know if this can be fixed or if one of them just needs a new home. I've hunted over this site for hours but all the other accounts of agressive cats is to either people or new cats entering a household. These two were from the same litter and the only biting they do to people is a love bite.

So do I just separate them? Or does anyone have ideas on getting him otherwise entertained? They're very smart so they don't really go into that play frenzy like some cats do and entertain themselves. Apollo used to play fetch but now he's so fat all he wants is to lay about. Fae on the other hand, is so tired from being so skinny she can't be bothered to do more than batt, half-heartedly, at something and then try to climb onto your shoulder to sleep. *sigh*

Help? Ideas, anyone? I have no idea what's causing Apollo to be so.... mean, or whatever he's doing.
Thanks in advance!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just my opinion from what I have read: I think it is okay. Apollo sounds like a typical Alpha cat. There is always an alpha. If Fae was really bothered by him she would be exhibiting stress signs like improper eliminating, loss of hair etc.

Fiona is my dainty girly girl. She eats like a bird. When I first got her I had to stay with her while she ate to make sure she did eat something. So I think it is wise to keep them seperated when eating if he is not behaving himself.

I will make sure that if I am petting one of the cats and the other butts in I make them go away so I can give the cat that was there first the attention. I just shove them with my hand away from me and they get the hint. Than when the first cat is done with loves I make sure to go over to the other kitty and give them my undivided attention.

As to the scabs on Fae, he is probably playing rough with her. But cats can do that. I really wouldn't worry unless it looks like she is really stressing.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a male orange tabby who consistently roughhouses with his two calico sisters, and NOT in a nice way.

He only does this, however, when he doesn't have a "buddy", someone special to hang out with. His first friend was his brother Ollie, who was taken from us in the 2007 pet food poisoning. Then he latched onto my daughter's cat, Oscar, and when my daughter moved out and took Oscar with her, Allen attached himself to my yorkie, Jasmine (much to her dismay
).

Jasmine died last July and Allen hasn't been the same since. I adopted two more kittens a year ago in the hopes that he would become best buds with the male, Spencer, and this was partially successful. Allen still attacks his sisters (I had to break up a fight at three this morning
), but it's no longer on a daily basis.

I don't know if getting another cat is feasible for you, or if it would even work in your situation. Do you live with the cats? Or are they alone in the basement?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gnaomim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, at least it's fairly normal behavior. My real concern is Fae's health. I feel bad locking Apollo in the laundry room while she eats but she's SO skinny (can feel every bone in her body right now though she IS starting to gain a little) that I just can't do anything else. And she's SO finicky that I don't think she would eat if she were the one locked up for dinner.

At any rate, it's not really an option to get a 3rd cat. We had one that I rescued from the side of the road a couple years ago. She was skinnier than Fae when I found her but we were in a different house and I had a larger room so she stayed in there with me until the vet was taken care of and she was healthy and "fat" again.

I moved across country for a couple years and wasn't able to take her (but my mom loved her to bits so that was ok) but the first two, Fae and Apollo would gang up on her. Keep her away from the litter box, not let her eat and tag-team her into a corner. Fae would sit and stare at her and Apollo would guard the corner. When the new cat, Tegan, thought they'd lost interest and would try to sneak away, Apollo would attack her and push her back into the corner. When my parents moved into this house, my aunt played guardian to Tegan when the other two were being mean. My aunt adopted Tegan and is spoiling her rotten in their new house as I type.

We tried the slow introduction with the three of them. Used a crate and everything. They even let Tegan into the basement first and let her get established before letting the other two in. Fae and Apollo just would not get used to her. Or at least wouldn't stop bullying her. I did see pictures of Apollo and Tegan cuddling now and then (never Fae) but the two typically wouldn't let Tegan have any peace. (Of course Tegan was sort of an odd cat; would NOT hurt a fly, literally. I had to put her through hell to get her cleaned up and healthy and she never once tried to bite me in situations where most cats would have tried to take my arm off - like cleaning her ears. She would hide under the bed if she could get away but never tried to hurt me. So, she would never defend herself. Plus, she's tiny.)

This is getting long. Sorry!
I think all I can do is keep up what I've been doing and maybe try some new toys. Apollo gets playful now and then and seems to be getting more energetic as he slowly loses all that extra flub (he really is FAT). LOL Hopefully I can get them back to something more healthy soon!

Thank you!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the cats are living alone in the basement, it's likely boredom causing Apollo to go after Fae.

One of Allen's sisters is a thin cat. She put on some weight when I transitioned them to raw food - enough that the vet is happy with her - but she is still lean. Like Fae, she takes freakin' forever to eat. I give her more than I give the others, and, like you, guard her while she's eating.

Maybe if you sprinkle some freeze-dried meat treats over Fae's food, she'll be encouraged to eat more/quicker; it's what I use when Rachel starts acting finicky. Cats seem to find these treats pretty irresistible. Stella and Chewy's makes some, as does Whole Life, but if you google it, you'll likely find several vendors.

temperpolk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried feeding them both separately but on different levels? When I first got Dusky as a kitten, both Temper and Polkie were on senior/diet foods so I made an exception and fed her on the counter but in full view of the boys. Not because of any agression, only because she prefered their food to hers. But it seemed to work. Eventually I got lax and she got into their food and got fat...and hopefully now it's all in the past..
but if you have a high point so when they feed they can see each other while feeding it may help