tooth problem with feral?

julia123123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When we moved to our property, we inherited a feral barn cat. We've lived here for 5 years and slowly, over time, she's become comfortable with her. I feed her on our porch every day and she spends the day sleeping on our porch chairs.

She's fairly elderly now. I noticed that she hasn't been eating. She was sitting on the doorstep like she was starving, but I'd put out food and she wouldn't eat it. I was able to get a look at her mouth and saw that she'd lost the incisors on the front left side. I started pureeing her food and she's loving it, but I wonder if there's anything else I could do. I hesitate to take her in to the vet because she's feral and it would be traumatizing for her. She's eating now...should I just let her be for a few days and see how it goes? Has anyone dealt with teeth issues and ferals?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess if it were me, I'd watch over her and see how it goes. The problem with some sort of dental issue might be an eventual infection that would need to be treated. But, for now she is eating again and that is good.

I don't think she sounds a feral as you make her out to be given what you have said about her. If you can look into her mouth, that is not feral to me.

How you handle her going forward all depends on what you want for her in the long term. If she is elderly, she will need more attention/care as she ages.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julia123123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She *was* feral and still won't tolerate other people, but she's fine with us!

Today she's eating not only pureed cat food, but chunked tuna. She's wolfing it down and is much more active. I'm going to keep an eye on her, but it seems like she's feeling better!