Increasing Electrolytes

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My 14 year old kitty, the one who brought me to TCS 14 years ago, has recently started drinking water like a fish and having very large pee puddles in the box. She also might have urinated on a blanket ONCE last week, but I don't know if that's because she was being harassed by one of our other kitties or if she was incontinent. She went to the vet this morning and had a senior blood panel and she does NOT have diabetes and her kidneys are functioning well. Her creatinine is on the high side of normal at 2 with a range of 0.3-2.1. Her potassium is off at 3.3, which is a little low. Her urine is very dilute, has a few white cells in it, but no blood or protein. The vet suspects she is doing a form of self-dialysis by consuming so much water and flushing her kidneys, but she is concerned about the loss of electrolytes. The vet has suggested adding Science Diet senior dry kibble to her diet. I'm not a huge fan of dry food or Science Diet, but I'm willing to try it until I can find a better solution. My vet would like to try food to fix the issue rather than start her on medication at this point in time.

My question for the community is what is a good way to increase electrolytes, yet not feed low quality food, or lower quality than I like to feed?

Here's my little old lady.
Hannah.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. She looks like such a sweety!! I suppose I am over-simplifying things by wondering if your vet would think something like unflavored Pedialyte might do the trick? That is, assuming, you could get her drink it. Oops, just hit post reply and saw the response from Furballsmom Furballsmom !!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet recommended a senior cat food from Science Diet. I will have to ask about Pedialyte. That''s a good call out.