I’m Cat Sitting And The Cat Won’t Eat.

frankie108

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m cat sitting for my best friend while she’s away for six days. She wanted to bring the cat to my house thinking it would be better for her to be around people (we already know she likes me) I’m keeping her in my bedroom with me. She has been under my bed for the past two days. Last night she came out, jumped on my bed & cuddled with me so I thought today she would be better but she’s still under the bed. I’m just worried she isn’t eating. She knows where her food & water are but it doesn’t look like she’s touched them. I put a pile of food under my bed & a more shallow bowl of water next to it in case she’s too nervous to come out while I’m in here but she still hasn’t touched it. I know it’s ridiculous to think the cat is going to starve herself but I’m still just really nervous! Advice please!!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it’s ridiculous to think the cat is going to starve herself but I’m still just really nervous! Advice please!!
F frankie108 - First, welcome to TCS. Second, it's not ridiculous at all, in fact, you're absolutely right to be concerned. A cat who won't eat is always a serious problem.

When you say, "a pile of food," I expect that means dry food. Have you tried to entice her to eat with canned cat food at all? Personally, that would be my first approach.

Kieka Kieka @Mamanyt1953 orange&white orange&white - what say you?

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An environment change is a really big deal for some cats. I would give her her own room, even if it's just a bathroom. Make sure she can't get into any drawers or cabinets, and provide a box or carrier she can hide in if she wants to. A smaller space will be less overwhelming. Try something really yummy, like baby food (chicken, ham, or turkey gerber stage 2 with no onions or garlic), tuna, or treats. It is really important that she eats some calories. I don't want to scare you, but cats are at risk of developing fatty liver disease if they fast for too long.

If she still won't eat on her own, you can put something wet-baby food, canned food, or nutritional calorie paste-on her paw and she will lick it off to clean herself at the very least.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
The reason could be stress-related, seeing as she's in an unfamiliar environment. I think 1CatOverTheLine's suggestion to try offering her canned food is a good one. Baby food, as Molly92 mentioned is also a good option. Lots of cats find that more appetizing than dry food. It could also be a health issue, as this article explains: Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous?. So, if she doesn't eat something soon, I would recommend letting your friend know, so that you could check in with a vet. If a cat goes too long without food, they can develop hepatic lipidosis, a potentially life-threatening condition.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd put in another vote for trying wet food, the stinkier the better. It should entice her to eat plus she gets moisture and calories in one go. If there is any way to transport her back to your friends so she is in a familiar environment, I'd go that route if the wet food doesn't work.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah. The cat would have been better alone in the home she's used to, with you popping in a couple times a day to clean the litter, get fresh water, and make sure food is available. But hindsight's 20/20, so unless you have a key to your best friend's house, this will have to be solved differently. Cats really don't like change.

We have had members adopt cats who hid out and didn't eat for a few days, then got comfortable in the new environment and everything worked out fine. Perhaps this kitty will come out of it in the next 24 hours and start eating.

As others suggested, I would pick up several flavors of canned food in case she doesn't start eating tonight. Also the meat-only baby food is worth a try. Bits of cooked meat perhaps. Anything that might tempt her.

You might try hand feeding her little bits of food when she comes out to snuggle with you. That might whet her appetite and make her feel safe and secure enough to eat on her own.

She shouldn't go the entire 6 days without food. Check with your friend about taking the cat to your friend's vet for an appetite stimulant and maybe sub-q fluids if she doesn't snap out of her inappetence fairly quickly.

If you've ever syringe fed a cat who is not eating, you can also try that if stinky canned food or baby food doesn't work. Not sure about your comfort level with that.

Keep us posted. I'm hoping she'll hit a 3-day peak, get comfortable, and start eating tonight without additional coaxing.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she would be better off in her own home too, but it may be too late if you don't have a key. You could also try Feliway and see if that helps. My vets always recommend Feliway for stressed out cats.

Adway

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you have some tuna, give her the liquid with a little bit of tuna mixed in. Most cats love it.
Its a very good suggestion. Most cats love eating fish. They will jeopardies almost anything to get at one.
Also, here in India, we syringe feed milk to cats that are not eating because of health. wounds etc. Milk may not be palatable to cats where you live, but it is worth a shot if she tries it. It helps them with food as well as hydration. Cats here LOVE milk to the extent of stealing it if its possible.