I think my polydactyl cat has some kind of weird ingrown nail. Has anyone seen this before?

darci

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all

I just noticed that my cat had what looked like a button stuck on her nail, but at further examination, it looks like a round nail that's grown in a circle.  She's five and she's never had any problems with her polydactyl toes and she's not walking funny or acting like it hurts.  I am going to take her to the vet to get it looked at but I was wondering if anyone has seen this before.  I feel horrible but she's a vocal cat so if she was in pain I'd know about it. sorry for the gross picture, but it's hard to describe.

thanks all 

Darci & the crowd

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, that is common when the cat doesn't get regular claw clipping. Polydactyl cats have more problems because when they use a scratcher, sometimes not all claws contact the surface. After you have the claw clipped, get a scratching post or pad and put some catnip on it. This should encourage the cat to use it.

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Get some corn starch or Quick Stop just in case and have it beside you. With a set of human nail clippers, carefully clip the claw above the quick. Usually the imbedded piece will just pop out, but you may have to pull it out. If the toe bleeds, cover the wound in corn starch or Quick stop and put pressure on it - it should stop in a few seconds. Then trim the nail back the rest of the way. Often it does not bleed. Keep the nail short from here on in and you shouldn't have any trouble.

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to clip my polydactyl male's 6th claw so that it doesn't do exactly this. It's only one toe on one paw too, lol. I have 4 polydactyl kitties and he is the only one that needs the nail maintenance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darci

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
that's good advice.  It's grown all the way around into a circle though. Any advice on that?  I am definitely going to keep an eye out for this in the future.

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can still clip it, you may have to use something other than pet nail clippers if the gap between her toe and nail is not big enough. Small wire pliers work fine. I would start toward the end of the nail (farthest away from the toe it grows out of) and clip a bit off at a time. If the nail itself is imbedded in her paw you may need to bring her to your vet if you don't feel comfortable pulling it out yourself. Otherwise, clip away at the nail until it is a normal length and she will be just fine. After this initial clipping continue to check it so it doesn't happen again!

Last edited: