Concerned about kitten

Krissybo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 1 week old kitten, he's been eating, not sure if it's enough but he spits the bottle out so I assume he's not hungry anymore, he's peeing fine, he had normal looking kitten poop for 2 days and now he has been having accidents in his box, I check on him and his legs and tail are covered in poop, I don't know if he's having diarrhea and if I need to be concerned about it, also he just started this a few hours ago but he was meowing so I fed him and helped him go to the bathroom but he still kept meowing and crawling all over me, I don't know if he just wanted affection or was being chatty or if something is wrong, he seems strong and active so I think he's ok, but I worry about the pooping and now the meowing, he had a sibling but it passed which is why I took him in to care for him since if he was left outside with his mother he would of also passed since he was covered in fleas and his mom wasn't really doing good at keeping him warm, I'm probably worrying too much but I can't help it, I'm barely sleeping to take care of him and its causing me to be paranoid, any advice would be helpful

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What kmr do you use? Can you get raw goats milk? Where - what country - do you live?

Simethicone, the same as for babies with problems with air in stomach - may help, shouldnt hurt. A couple of drops now and then.
Simethicone may be sold in different brand names, but the inhold is simethicone.

Do you weigh him daily? How much does he adds in grammes every day? (weighting in OZ OK, but easier to see with grammes).
Seeing they add properly, 10+ grammes (1/3+ OZ) each day, is the easiest way to know he is OK...

To summarize: hoping he is reasonably healthy,
I would guess its either the kmr not agreeing in full - and a change could help

OR
Trying with simethicone would be the difference.

Ps. Sometimes they sell Dimethicone for the same purpose. My guess it works too, but as I only know for sure simethicone, I insist on you try to find simethicone.

Ps 2. As he was covered in fleas. When the time come to deworm him, it wont be enough to make the usual deworming against roundworms, you must take an all round dewormer against tape worms too. As fleas are in-between host for tapeworm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krissybo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What kmr do you use? Can you get raw goats milk? Where - what country - do you live?

Simethicone, the same as for babies with problems with air in stomach - may help, shouldnt hurt. A couple of drops now and then.
Simethicone may be sold in different brand names, but the inhold is simethicone.

Do you weigh him daily? How much does he adds in grammes every day? (weighting in OZ OK, but easier to see with grammes).
Seeing they add properly, 10+ grammes (1/3+ OZ) each day, is the easiest way to know he is OK...

To summarize: hoping he is reasonably healthy,
I would guess its either the kmr not agreeing in full - and a change could help

OR
Trying with simethicone would be the difference.

Ps. Sometimes they sell Dimethicone for the same purpose. My guess it works too, but as I only know for sure simethicone, I insist on you try to find simethicone.

Ps 2. As he was covered in fleas. When the time come to deworm him, it wont be enough to make the usual deworming against roundworms, you must take an all round dewormer against tape worms too. As fleas are in-between host for tapeworm.
I live in the USA, and the kmr just says kmr on it, I also do have goats milk and I sadly don't have a way to weigh him yet, but I'm getting a scale as soon as I can, he is definitely gaining weight though, he's much bigger than he was a few days ago but I definitely want to get a scale to make sure he's doing ok, thanks for the advice, I will try changing his food and getting simethicone, and thank you for the worm advice as well, he did drink a lot on his last feeding and had a fairly normal poop, but I'll still try changing the food to see if it helps

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in the USA, and the kmr just says kmr on it, I also do have goats milk and I sadly don't have a way to weigh him yet, but I'm getting a scale as soon as I can, he is definitely gaining weight though, he's much bigger than he was a few days ago but I definitely want to get a scale to make sure he's doing ok, thanks for the advice, I will try changing his food and getting simethicone, and thank you for the worm advice as well, he did drink a lot on his last feeding and had a fairly normal poop, but I'll still try changing the food to see if it helps
If he's drinking KMR then don't change his food. Changes in diet can cause diarrhoea. If his poo is looking better then rather just wait and see.

Make sure you clean up any diarrhoea properly. Kittens can get faecal/urine scald (like how babies get diaper rash).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krissybo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he's drinking KMR then don't change his food. Changes in diet can cause diarrhoea. If his poo is looking better then rather just wait and see.

Make sure you clean up any diarrhoea properly. Kittens can get faecal/urine scald (like how babies get diaper rash).
Thank you for the advice, I won't change his food and I make sure he's cleaned well and his bedding is clean. He still likes to meow a lot but I don't think anything is wrong, could he just be chatty?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
if its KMR as label, so its surely PetAg´ags. Their powder version, to mix up yurself, has a very good reputation. Their premixed one - by some reason, isnt as good. Causes problems sometimes!
So, if problems continues, do change. Goats milk is usually without problems.
Also, you can mix.
The powdered feks; instead of the usual 1:2, you can make 1:3 with goats milk instead of water.

If he visibly adds, its good, still, having a scale - preferably measuring in grammes, is helpful. Perhaps you can lend one from a neighbour?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I read a lot of these kitten threads…hang in there w the not sleeping part, it will get easier, and sleep when you can, it will help you (obviously) to stay clear headed! ❤ Kittens do mew a LOT but as he is solo I hope you hold him -carefully- a lot, and/or have something fuzzy like a stuffed animal he can snuggle against. They like heartbeats, as does every young thing, so snuggling him near your chest could be especially comforting. I wonder if even playing recording of a purring cat might be nice for you both. This is all of course assuming the flea & worm issues have been tackled.