Bitter Apple Spray to Protect House Plants

Brigit the Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone used Bitter Apple spray to keep your cat from chewing/eating your house plants? Or do you have a suggestion that works better than bitter apple? If you've used a certain brand of bitter apple spray that worked really well, is it allowed on this site to say what brand? I recently adopted a 1 yr old cat from a shelter and she eats the house plants, then usually throws it up. I've moved all the plants to the back porch, but they'll have to come back in as the weather turns cold. I've bought a dietary supplement that has 'greens' in it - she loves it, but I think I'll still need to use an avoidance tactic when the plants come back inside. Any suggestions? I've had a lot of cats in my life, and NEVER had one eat house plants!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Provide cat grass for your cat to eat. That's safe for cats and may get the cat to leave your other plants alone. If you aren't sure if your plants are cat-friendly or not, it's best to keep them out of reach from the cat somehow. Keeping the plants in a room your cat does not have access to is ideal. You might find other ideas in this thread: Share Your Indoor Plant Pictures There are pictures of shelves and carts and other creative things people use to keep plants out of reach.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I just do not have any flowers, plants or anything that my guy can go after.

It is tuff not to see greenery, or flowers— but saving my kitty from vomiting ot Vet visits is worth it. Right now, I am having a plant/flower. Withdrawal.