Sanitizing Cat Tree and Cat Bed

Olórin_Greyhame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I have been trying to find a cat-safe way to disinfect my cats' cat trees and beds. We have a kitty with a staph infection, and she mostly just stays in one room at the moment. We were told it's not highly contagious, but we have been trying to keep our other 2 healthy cats away from her and her beds to be safe. Because of this I have been trying to find a cat-safe way to clean her cat trees and beds. She has 2 cat trees and a canvas teepee (that isn't machine washable - probably cause it would shrink). Any advice on how to disinfect/sanitize them? Is there a cat-safe product I can use (like a spray or wipes)? Thank you in advance for any tips!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Olórin_Greyhame Olórin_Greyhame Hey! Do you have a steam cleaner? That would be the easiest way I believe. We got ours from the local Walmart. Ours was certified to go to a certain temperature.

Staph is killed at 65°C.

Anything that can be popped into the dryer, even if it can't be washed in the machine, 20 minutes should do it.

I suppose any cat-safe cleaner with alcohol and leaving it in the sun to dry could also do a fine job.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Any advice on how to disinfect/sanitize them? Is there a cat-safe product I can use (like a spray or wipes)?
You can get a UV Anti Allergen vacuum cleaner and vacuum up the place or cat tree or wherever your cat has been on and after that use a steam cleaner as what the above member mentioned.

A steam cleaner is very safe as it has no chemicals and it is non toxic to your cats. The high temperature will get the job done. It can be used on most surfaces and even steam clean toys.

After that, you still can use the UV vacuum cleaner for your bed or even the cushions and furnitures as it is used to kill off dust mites.

Get a good quality stream cleaner and UV Anti allergen vacuum cleaner so that they perform the job well.