Mother Cat Not Eating

zoolfa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat don't want to eat her dry catfood,
She's got kittens that she's feeding milk.
What can I give her to eat,I don't want her milk to dry out,
The kittens are a month old,

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A question is, its bad appetite, or if she is sick in some way?? Ie need a vet check up?

Try to entice her to eat - perhaps handfeed, literally. Does she drink? if yes, goats milk or kmr are good. Goats milk is the cheaper of these two...

If it doesnt becomes better very soon, prepare you must either handfeed the kitten with kmr or goats milk, and or begin to wean the kitten, eating cat food...

Please continue to describe and report.

Z zoolfa

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoolfa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A question is, its bad appetite, or if she is sick in some way?? Ie need a vet check up?

Try to entice her to eat - perhaps handfeed, literally. Does she drink? if yes, goats milk or kmr are good. Goats milk is the cheaper of these two...

If it doesnt becomes better very soon, prepare you must either handfeed the kitten with kmr or goats milk, and or begin to wean the kitten, eating cat food...

Z zoolfa

Z zoolfa
Hello
Thanks for your reply
She ate home food.ie.braai meat.
I prefer she eats catfood.bcos I fear of worms.i suspect she may have worms tooo.
She is drinking water as well.
The kittens are a month old.is it not too soon for solid catfood.
I gave them cow's milk mixed with water.
I will get dewormer over the weekend.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Drontal is what the vets use, you can usually find it on Amazon or Pet med sites. Those you buy at the store may be cheaper, but they only kill roundworms, while she may have tapeworms or others. She may have developed a uterine infection from giving birth, watch closely for any discharge from the birth canal, or signs of a fever, (feeling hot, listlessness) or if she develops a smell of decay. They won't get worms from people food, or you would too! Worms are ingested with rabbits and mice, etc. that they catch, usually on the fleas that live on the rodent. It would be better for her to get unmarinated meat, but right now just feed her whatever she will eat. Cow's milk is not good for cats, they develop a lactose intolerance, especially when they get older. Do you have access to canned food at all? Canned cat food would be well tolerated by mom and kittens, you could soak the hard food for a while in water and mix it with teh canned to make it go further. Even canned tuna or lunch meat would be good for now. Good luck, keep us posted!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Goats milk is much safer than cow milk.
Depends on where you live - raw milk from cows of old type is probably OK. so for example in India, buffalo(spelling?) milk is OK...

What is braai meat? cats in nature eat raw, mice for examples, so usually raw isnt bad. But they perhaps need deworming now and then... :)

Drontal or Milbomax are good and easy to use... There are also other brands of all round dewormers.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps yes count she has worms. Cats allowed to go out usually have some.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Googling I see braai meat is some sort of barbecued meat, no?
As such its OK as cat food.

But she needs more, among others, more fat and more calcium.

Full fat plain, unsugared youghurt is good. A little cheese. boiled or scrambled eggs. goats milk is excellent.

Raw milk of cows of old type - if you are in south Africa you prob have them aplenty there! their milk should be OK. If the cats seems to manage it, you may proceed. :)

Some chicken... If raw she may eat the whole of it... If cooked, be careful with bones.

Intestines are good cat food.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get canned wet cat food? A couple of cans a day in addition to dry food and water would help.

If she does not start eating soon she will need to see a vet.

Do you plan to spay her after the kittens wean? How many kittens are there?

Can you post a picture of her?

zoolfa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Drontal is what the vets use, you can usually find it on Amazon or Pet med sites. Those you buy at the store may be cheaper, but they only kill roundworms, while she may have tapeworms or others. She may have developed a uterine infection from giving birth, watch closely for any discharge from the birth canal, or signs of a fever, (feeling hot, listlessness) or if she develops a smell of decay. They won't get worms from people food, or you would too! Worms are ingested with rabbits and mice, etc. that they catch, usually on the fleas that live on the rodent. It would be better for her to get unmarinated meat, but right now just feed her whatever she will eat. Cow's milk is not good for cats, they develop a lactose intolerance, especially when they get older. Do you have access to canned food at all? Canned cat food would be well tolerated by mom and kittens, you could soak the hard food for a while in water and mix it with teh canned to make it go further. Even canned tuna or lunch meat would be good for now. Good luck, keep us posted!
Wow
Thanks for all your wonderful responses.i will give her home food till the weekend.(it's Wednesday today)
I will get her canned food n dewormer from the vet.
She wants to eat.just fussy what she eats.also she gone most of the day. N kittens r crying for comfort n milk.
I also read on this site that kittens can have a homemade formula with mayonnaise n egg yolk n yoghurt. Is dat ok to feed the kittens so they get full.
Will keep u guys posted

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you can use a homemade mixture to feed the kittens. You can also begin weaning them to soft wet cat food at 5 weeks.

Why is mom cat gone all day? You should not let her outside at all.

She needs to nurse her kittens, and she will get oregnant again right away, which is terribly unhealthy for her to have back to back litters.

Please keep her in until she is spayed!

Would you like help locating a low-cost spay clinic? Give your city and state.

zoolfa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm in south Africa. We do have an spca nearby to my town.
I will put all ur advices into action asap.i wish I could keep mom indoors full-time.
Yes i am gonna spay her soon.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Home made recipes are OK, if you find some good one. At least to have something to begin with.
Cant you get goats milk? Raw is good, but canned or powdered are OK too... If you can get goats milk, you will not need no emergency formulas.

I agree its best to NOT let momma out. You dont want risk any bad accidents when you have kittens inside. Also, cats unlike to human women, arent protected by nursing. If she goes out, she will get new litter very soon.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Why can't you keep her in? Just do not let her out. It's up to you.

You should go ahead and spay her now since she goes outside. She will still be able to nurse.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm in south Africa. We do have an spca nearby to my town.
I will put all ur advices into action asap.i wish I could keep mom indoors full-time.
Yes i am gonna spay her soon.
For the worms(tapeworms)an over the counter niclosamide treatment will work too, the veterinarian may advise on the dosage.
The kittens are old enough for her to be spayed now if your local vet will allow. The clinic I go to spays mothers when the kittens are 5 weeks and the moms continue to provide for the kittens, milk and attention.

zoolfa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello great news.
Mom and kittens are doing great.
Mom has her appetites back.
I took everyone's advice from this forum.gave mom soft chicken for two days.she started eating her dry food lastnight.
Will spay her as soon as I have the money. By end of the month.
Will get dewormer tomorrow
This is mommy dearest.

Attachments

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great! Can you keep mom inside 100% of the time until she is spayed?