Merrick Has Changed Bistro Chicken Recipe, What To Do?

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 5 cats have eaten Merrick's Bistro chicken for years as part of their diet. (50% calories wet/dry) I credit it for their shinny coats and overall healthy appearance. Recently, Merrick changed the formula to chicken and sweet potato, lowering the protein value. First thing I did was run out and buy all the bags of the old formula I could find. But now, I'm down to the last bags. I've got to options in mind but am open to suggestions. 1) Switch to the Bistro Kitten formula which has remained the same. 2) Switch to Instinct chicken formula. What would you do? By the way, I use only 4 or 5 lb. bags as I like to keep it fresh (I know, crazy cat lady) so whatever I switch to needs to come in a small size.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
It's not crazy to buy the smaller bags, the food stays fresher after the bag has been opened and is eaten more readily, at least that's the situation in my house :)

You could definitely try the Instinct, or Blue Wilderness maybe although I don't know how the ingredients compare.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm guessing the Kitten formula of the Bistro has more calories, since they normally do. If you switch to that one you may need to account for that. Otherwise, I don't know why either of your choices wouldn't work. Don't you just hate it when companies do that. I'm wrestling with the same thing right now, only in canned food. And my guy is so picky you wouldn't believe it :sigh: Oh well, nothing to be done about it.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What did they change. If you don’t mind asking. My cats never liked it much but it used to be a pretty good food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What did they change. If you don’t mind asking. My cats never liked it much but it used to be a pretty good food.
Took out some of the meat protein and added sweet potatoes. Total protein went from 40% to 38%.