I need to find an alternative for my baby's litter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did some re-arranging of my baby's litter this past weekend and hurt myself. i had back and chest pain and went to the ER to rule out anything worse. Fortunately it wasn't a heart attack and just a muscle strain. I was sent home.

I've been struggling with the weight of these bags of litter and am not supposed to lift that much anyway, given my hernia issues. I dare not lift anything over 10 pounds and don't know what to do. Most of what he's got is more than that and is a combination of clay and pine litter.

Tidy Cats is getting more expensive and the local Walmart only carries the 30 pound bags, sometimes 50 pounders, so that is out of the question. They carry a no name brand that weighs 7 pounds but is very dusty.

So I don't know what to do. He can't use clumping litter for health reasons. I used paper pellets before but he didn't care for them. Pine pellets he will sort of tolerate as long as it's mixed in with clay. It helps me pick out his pee spots because it falls apart but he never cared for his litter box being filled with just pine pellets.

Are these alternatives appropriate for a cat:

Soft Hamster and gerbil bedding
Woods shavings hamster and gerbil bedding
Shredded paper
Sand (but doesn't sand clump?)

I would appreciate any suggestions you would have, especially for anything that is budget-friendly. Thank you!

TARTARA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some brands have small bag with litter too... ! And also as you said, you can try something different, like the wood chips, wood dust, pellets... etc... probably will fit you... !?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some brands have small bag with litter too... ! And also as you said, you can try something different, like the wood chips, wood dust, pellets... etc... probably will fit you... !?
I thought about trying some of these things but i was wondering if any of them are safe for cats. Another thought I just had is my baby is a senior now. I'm not sure that a sudden change for a senior kitty would work out. I've been toying with the idea of getting another senior kitty litter box to help him make the transition.

I just can't get the super heavy bags anymore or the really dusty stuff.[

I don't know why most cat litter (clay based anyway) always have claims on their bags that say something like 99.97% dust free. That's not true.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Recently, I transited my boy over to Tofu Cat Litter from Bentonite Clay Litter. Maybe you want to have peek on what was done for my boy and see if there's any help to you?

a-documentation-on-the-transition-from-clay-litter-to-tofu-cat-litter-for-my-boy.451046
That is so cool! Thank you for documenting this for everyone!

I thought about tofu litter but if it's clumping, we can't use it. My cat will periodically - but not as much as he used to - try and eat some litter. His vet told me to stick with non clumping but I already realized that before we discussed the issue.

If there was a non clumping version of it I'd be willing to give it a go as long as it wasn't too expensive and the bags weren't too heavy

Thank you!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
That is so cool! Thank you for documenting this for everyone!

I thought about tofu litter but if it's clumping, we can't use it. My cat will periodically - but not as much as he used to - try and eat some litter. His vet told me to stick with non clumping but I already realized that before we discussed the issue.

If there was a non clumping version of it I'd be willing to give it a go as long as it wasn't too expensive and the bags weren't too heavy

Thank you!
B23897A4-51D3-4BD3-9BCF-7803C930DEA6$L0$001~photo.GIF

Oh, sorry I can't help you out here if it's non clumping. Yes, the cost is a little more than the clay litter but definitely much much much lighter and much much much more less dusty and Tofu Cat litter is safe to ingest but of course if it's non food, ingesting too much is also no good but it's much more safer than Bentonite Clay litter as it does not get stuck in the cat's system.

I have not tried the other type of litter other than the Bentonite Cat litter that is in the market but I'm very satisfied with the Tofu Cat Litter.

I hope you find the right litter for your cat and also one the doesn't hurt your back and pocket.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
local Walmart only carries the 30 pound bags, sometimes 50 pounders, so that is out of the question
Are you having it delivered? There would be no way I could carry a 40 pound bag of Dr Elsey’s upstairs. When I pitch it, I let it run down a bit so it is easier to carry to the trash.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would try shredded paper and see how he likes it. 🙂.
Also I'm sorry you had a scary experience but I'm glad it wasn't as serious as a heart attack! :hugs:

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you having it delivered? There would be no way I could carry a 40 pound bag of Dr Elsey’s upstairs. When I pitch it, I let it run down a bit so it is easier to carry to the trash.
Yes. There's a very cheap brand at Walmart in 7-pound bags and I ordered several today. I can handle no more than two of those at once. I still have larger bags left in our storage room and will just have to dip it out of them a little bit at a time.

We have a local grocery store other than Walmart that sells 10-pound bags of Tidy Cats. I will speak with the manager and see if I can arrange to have a small stash delivered as long as I don't have to use Instacart. I will look into getting small bags of pine pellets and try once again to get him to use it. He doesn't mind having a little in his box as long as it has mostly clay litter. i want to purchase another senior litter box too. That might encourage him to try it out! Thanks.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
View attachment 446668
Oh, sorry I can't help you out here if it's non clumping. Yes, the cost is a little more than the clay litter but definitely much much much lighter and much much much more less dusty and Tofu Cat litter is safe to ingest but of course if it's non food, ingesting too much is also no good but it's much more safer than Bentonite Clay litter as it does not get stuck in the cat's system.

I have not tried the other type of litter other than the Bentonite Cat litter that is in the market but I'm very satisfied with the Tofu Cat Litter.

I hope you find the right litter for your cat and also one the doesn't hurt your back and pocket.
Thanks! Me too.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m glad you are ok😀 I am going through this too now having a spinal fracture, and I can’t lift anything over 10 pounds. I could not lift the really heavy bags before either due to injuries.

I have them mostly delivered via amazon, and would drag them in the house without actually lifting them. Now someone helps me get them where needed, and I have always used scoops to put the litter in the boxes. Sometimes someone helps me in the store get them in the top of my cart and into my car as well if I get some in person.

I’m still looking for a cheaper litter though. We use mostly worlds best. The fresh step light weight clay one is ok but it leaves track marks and it is too dusty for me. It’s also not cheap. I tried sustainably yours but it costs a fortune and one new cat did not like it. It is lighter. These are all clumping though.

oko cat is another clumping one made from wood- very light, and there is one from walnut shells too.

Ideally toilet training would be best, but I have never succeeded in that.