Claw clipping (back claws)

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think Willow needs to have her back claws clipped, is this something I can persuade her into allowing at home?

I can normally do her front claws but she gets annoyed about if I touch her back paws, and can get reactive and nippy

I saw some pink on her paw tonight and checked it wasn't bleeding, for example, and got told to shove it up my arse by her, I got a nibble from her and a little smack :catrub:

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It really depends on how comfortable she is. You can try getting her more used to you touching her back feet when she is relaxed or very sleepy before even attempting to trim the nails. It may take weeks of daily touching or you may never be able to trim them easily. Every cat is different, some will allow it and other cats will never allow it.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My girl is terrible with nail clipping, and oddly the last time she sat perfectly still. To which we were like what is up with this? She is really good with her asthma inhaler though. Thankfully, because she really needs that.

Bellspurr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think Willow needs to have her back claws clipped, is this something I can persuade her into allowing at home?

I can normally do her front claws but she gets annoyed about if I touch her back paws, and can get reactive and nippy

I saw some pink on her paw tonight and checked it wasn't bleeding, for example, and got told to shove it up my arse by her, I got a nibble from her and a little smack :catrub:
It's understandable that Willow may not enjoy having her back claws clipped, but it's important for her health and safety. Have you tried gradually getting her used to having her paws touched? You can start by simply gently touching her paws and giving her treats, then slowly introducing the clippers. It's also a good idea to have someone else hold Willow while you clip her claws, so she doesn't feel threatened by your actions. If she continues to be reactive and nippy, it may be best to seek professional help from a veterinarian or animal behaviorist.

Lennybells

I’m a slave to my furry master
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hobbes is pretty good for nail trimming. Sometimes he gets feisty and I have ONE claw left to do so I have to restrain him. Man the looks he gives me after. If he nips you really bad, maybe you have to do the two person trick? One restrains and the other trims?

EDIT: Obviously you don’t hold them that hard and when they have had enough you let them go 😀

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I live alone and Willow hates having new people coming into the house, she runs and hides the second she hears a new voice in the house (unless it's on the telly)

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats it's the front paws they hate, the back they cooperate great, I usually have to try a few times before they are in a nice enough mood to get some clipping done, if they are too feisty or squirmy we try again later. Can she be distracted with one of those licky treats or anything? I would try to do more handling without clipping so she doesn't always associate it with clipping and hopefully gets more used to the idea.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hobbes is pretty good for nail trimming. Sometimes he gets feisty and I have ONE claw left to do so I have to restrain him. Man the looks he gives me after. If he nips you really bad, maybe you have to do the two person trick? One restrains and the other trims?

EDIT: Obviously you don’t hold them that hard and when they have had enough you let them go 😀
Lennybells Yes ! I have one that is a two person job. One holds as lightly as possible, the other clips as quickly and safely as possible!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If Willow has a food or treat she goes crazy for, that might help you out. I have one I can't clip nails on unless she has a bowl of food and treats to work on, then, she allows it. I handle her paws as little as possible, and just snip off the ends that are visible while letting her stand on all 4's. :)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If Willow has a food or treat she goes crazy for, that might help you out. I have one I can't clip nails on unless she has a bowl of food and treats to work on, then, she allows it. I handle her paws as little as possible, and just snip off the ends that are visible while letting her stand on all 4's. :)
This works for me as well.

To add, at first I could only do one or two toes per session with each of my cats.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This works for me as well.

To add, at first I could only do one or two toes per session with each of my cats.
I did a foot per feeding, so within 2 days, all claws were clipped.
I tried it on the boys. LOL, I got the backs done but luckily the fronts aren't bad because they would have gladly used me as a sharpener!

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Vet will have to do them, Willow really fought and I think if I try closing the clippers on her back claws, I'm going to cut way more off than I should, she says the clippers are going to eat her in one mouthful ❤

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update on the developing story: fearless cat conquers mean nail clippers!! 😂
I think the plan to have the vet do it is a good one. No sense in stressing you both out. 😺
I know from experience she will use her teeth on the vet, not really hard but more as a warning "you bite me with that, I'll get you back"

Particularly when HER teddy or HER blankie get touched by the vet staff :catrub: (its why at the vets, I put her blankie and her teddy back in the carrier, Willow lets me touch both without getting nippy) <3

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Willow now is worried that the people on this forum are plotting to steal HER teddy, she just gave the laptop a very worried look and moved her teddy to a secret hidey place :catrub:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Willow now is worried that the people on this forum are plotting to steal HER teddy, she just gave the laptop a very worried look and moved her teddy to a secret hidey place :catrub:
Don't worry Willow, this is a Cat Society and we all work together to protect cats and their possessions from anyone wanting to steal that teddy for themselves. :)

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't worry Willow, this is a Cat Society and we all work together to protect cats and their possessions from anyone wanting to steal that teddy for themselves. :)
I think her final hiding place for teddy was under the bed ❤