Should I be worried or is it just an off day?

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone - Orange (15 yr old Siamese) didn’t eat any supper last night and today he’s been lethargic all day.
He ate his breakfast like gangbusters, but at supper today he only picked at it until I sprinkled it with a little of his favourite treats crushed up.

Litterbox usage has been good, and I’ve been keeping an eye on it because he does sometimes have constipation issues but I feel confident that’s not what’s going on this time. He had a pretty comprehensive vet visit a few months ago (blood panel etc) and all came back great.

normally he’d be following his favourite human all around the house but today twice he got to the stairs and turned right around.

He was recently diagnosed with arthritis in his back hips and we’re waiting for his joint supplements to arrive…
What are the odds that this is probably just a bad arthritis day?
Should I be making an emergency vet appointment?
(It would have to be emerg since a reg scheduled visit will take about 3 weeks)

Any suggestions on what I could offer him for some pain relief in the mean time?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
How long do you have to wait for the supplements? I would -if you can- just take a deep breath and wait for them to show up, first. I know it’s hard to wait for the mail, but from your description it sofar doesn’t sound as if an ER visit is needed. Meantime there are many TCS threads to pore through when it comes to arthritis, and I’ve a feeling many folks will chime in here before too long! 💜

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well it is raining here that bothers my cats with arthritis and me as well.He ate this morning so that is good.You got more into with a wonderful little treat trick. Warmth maybe helpful or Cooling. I find getting and area ( a little )warmer works for my girl. Some people prefer cooler. For a cat ........ I would think they would prefer warmth

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well it is raining here that bothers my cats with arthritis
It’s been cool and rainy here for days too and we’ve had the windows open to bring in the fresh spring air so I’ve gone and closed them all up and we’ll get the oat bag nice and toasty for him to snuggle with. Thanks for the ideas that we can try right away :)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a heating pad? You can wrap it in a towel for him to lay on and that will help soothe is aching joints. I don't think it's an emergency as long as he is eating (even if enticed with treats), drinking, and using the litter box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a fabric bag filled with oats/wheat/rice/flax that we bought at the local farmers market. You microwave it for a couple of minutes and it works great. I’ve put that out for him, so far no go. When I put it along the edge of his bed he just scoots to the far side and curls up over there lol.
but it’s available if he wants the option.

yeah he’s still eating & using the litter box. If those habits change it’ll be a phone call right away. In the mean time I guess we’ll wait for the the vet to get his supplements in.