My emotional support cat makes TOO MUCH noise at night...I don't want to lose my home

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live in a HUD-subsidized apartment building and have been here for about a year and a half. I like it here even though this place has issues.

My cat, who is a rescue/emotional support cat, will at times yowl loudly for reasons I don't understand. I doubt it's health related because he's otherwise doing good with his litter box, appetite etc. There's been a wild/stray cat outside from who knows where, who started a very loud conversation with him a few nights back. Maybe that's it? We have a new neighbour across the hall who has a dog. Maybe that's it? Ever since she moved in he's been wanting to escape more and more. He's always been a runner but i thought he was finally outgrowing it.

I love him to pieces but tbh, he's driving me up the wall. I'm worried that one of my neighbours will complain about the noise and I could get a lease violation if not worse.

How do I get him to STOP?

I am in very poor health and am very sleep deprived. I can't take anymore. It's about 5:30am as I write this. He woke me up about 45 minutes ago.

I don't feel well and need to return to bed. Please somebody help me. I don't know what to do. I love him very much but he's driving me crazy. Tx.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please invest in some cheap shades or something to block his view outside. even taped-up anything would work temporarily. I'm sure it is the cat outside. get some cat/critter deterrent and shake it around your outside windows. There are calming treats I get on Amazon that work very well. You might try those too. Put out some kibble, so he isn't hungry, and maybe some new cat toys to keep him busy. Interchange them weekly to keep them fresh and keep the ones not used in a bag full of catnip. This is most likely temporary until he gets used to the changes (strange cat and dog) but it might take awhile.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
So this is a new thing?
I was just typing this when di and bob posted and was going to say something similar.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had a Siamese boy who had a very loud voice and he could sit by the door and meow/yell for over an hour straight. We knew we had to ignore it. Couldn't "reward" it by talking to him or going to the door or anything else. 100% pretended we were deaf. We used noise-canceling headphones from time to time if it was really bad or had a recurrence.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please invest in some cheap shades or something to block his view outside. even taped-up anything would work temporarily. I'm sure it is the cat outside. get some cat/critter deterrent and shake it around your outside windows. There are calming treats I get on Amazon that work very well. You might try those too. Put out some kibble, so he isn't hungry, and maybe some new cat toys to keep him busy. Interchange them weekly to keep them fresh and keep the ones not used in a bag full of catnip. This is most likely temporary until he gets used to the changes (strange cat and dog) but it might take awhile.
I have blinds that came with this apartment, but I am not able to adjust them w/o someone's help. These windows are really deep and I'm in a wheelchair.

I don't think they'd let me sprinkle critter deterrent. I'd have to ask management's permission and I doubt they'd say yes.

I just got him a new catnip toy yesterday and he's got toys all over the place! He is quite pampered.

What is the name of those calming treats? Is this something I'd have to run by his vet first? Pumpkin's on Laxatone for his hairballs, Pepcid A/C for his antacid and Miralax for his tummy. Thank you!

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So this is a new thing?
I was just typing this when di and bob posted and was going to say something similar.
He's been known to throw fits in the past, it just seems to have picked up since my newest neighbour moved in and that stray cat outside.

Sometimes he will holler after using his litterbox and I think that's what he was doing when he woke me up this morning but I'm not sure, I was trying to wake up. He doesn't do this while going potty or I'd run him to the vet pronto.

Pumpkin was a runner when I adopted him over 10 years ago and for the most part he's outgrown it but lately he's been acting like he really wants to get out. I made some barriers to put up near the front door so he can't get out but if I don't put one up in the kitchen, he can jump on the kitchen counter, jump down to the floor and get to the door that way.

We're in a small city and I'm scared about what would happen to him should he ever get outside. I'd never see him again. It would be the end of me. I love him and he's all I have.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Agree on shades being a good thing to try.

Are you excluding him from the bedroom at night? He might be yowling to get in.
Oh no, he's got the run of the apartment. I just wish I could get him to stop wanting to get out the front door. He's my little escape artist. Sometimes he'll park himself in front of the door and just stare at it. Kind of like he's trying to tell me to open it.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a Siamese boy who had a very loud voice and he could sit by the door and meow/yell for over an hour straight. We knew we had to ignore it. Couldn't "reward" it by talking to him or going to the door or anything else. 100% pretended we were deaf. We used noise-canceling headphones from time to time if it was really bad or had a recurrence.
I wish that I could ignore this but he woke me up from what was a sound sleep, the first one I had in days. Not only that, I am concerned that someone will complain. I don't want to get in trouble with management. He's my emotional support cat and I love him.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When is the last time he was seen by a vet? Even though he isn't yowling while he is using the litterbox but after it might still be something is causing him some pain. Was this the first time or does he do this often? It might be worth getting checked out if that is a common occurrence. Could you get some curtains or put something in the window to block his view I know you said the windows have blinds that you can't really adjust just trying to figure out something to put there so he can't see outside especially if the stray cats presence is causing him to be yowling.
If this is just him wanting attention the best way would be ignoring it. It will take a few nights but it works. I understand being in an apartment building with noise ordinances so I can definitely understand that being hard to do.. would you be able to talk to your neighbors and let them know that for the next week you are going to try to get him to stop the behavior so his yowling will be constant for a little bit? He might do it for about 10 minutes he might go on for an hour.. each time but if you are able to ignore him without the neighbors getting mad and reporting it I think it might help..
About the stray cat can you get a deterrent like one of these to put outside your window? They are both motion activated and are harmless but the stray cat won't like the puff of air or getting sprayed with water

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0721735K9/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C4NVW24S/?tag=thecatsite

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in subsidized housing so I get what you say about the numerous rules!

The yowling lately? I would ask the local TNR groups and/or call my apartment manager about the stray cat.

My boy is a talkative cat. He had severe separation anxiety as a kitten so it made training him to let me sleep difficult (I couldn’t just lock him out of my bedroom.) So instead I fed him at midnight plus some dry food (he was 4 months old) and once I went to sleep I played dead. Even if he woke me up, I ignored him; huddling under my blankets instead. If he got on my face I blew a puff of air on him, then ignored him. It worked. A playtime & meal before bed helped so much. It took Jackie 2 months to really get bedtime but the first 2 weeks were the hard ones.

I know they say ignore the cries but I was worried about getting a noise complaint from his bathroom yodeling (my building is for seniors & people over 40 with disabilities!) So instead I talked back to him and called him to me. It worked! It shut him up in a couple of minutes instead of screaming his head off for an hour. Luckily he finally realized his human was stupid when it came to cat speak; now he carries his favorite toy in his mouth and yodels as he walks to me. As soon as I see him he drops his toy and I go girt a wand toy. Turns out his bathroom yodeling was because he wants to play

The rushing the front door or back door? Do you have a harness you can take him out in? I would also try a penny can for the door rushing & giving him a cat tree by the door…. If you can. Train him to go up into the tree with lots of praise and love (& even treats.) Plus all penny can shaking stops if he gets up in the tree.

If you can safely get out (may be after locking your cat in the bedroom) I would try to scare the Tom cat away. I’m assuming your cat is fixed? If there is a cat in heat in your building you need to fix her. There are many low cost spay/neuter clinics in the states.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m assuming your cat is fixed? If there is a cat in heat in your building you need to fix her. There are many low cost spay/neuter clinics in the states.
I didn't even think about that as a possibility. This is definitely something to be mindful of because if there are females in your building that are not spayed and your boy isn't neutered he can smell them when they go in heat. A male cat can smell a female in heat from a good distance away. If he isnt neutered and a female cat does go in heat this will explain him trying to rush the door. I attached a link that has some information.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is not neutered do so. It could be a health issue so, maybe ask dvm. How old is he? Night and am yowling can be a sign of high blood pressure. It’s probably the other cat. Or maybe boredom. Does he have some interactive toys he can use alone? I hope you get it figured out soon. When my former outdoor cat Merlin first came in I used a penny can to stop him trying to get out I think. Actually, I don’t remember what I used it for now but whatever it was it worked.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When is the last time he was seen by a vet? Even though he isn't yowling while he is using the litterbox but after it might still be something is causing him some pain. Was this the first time or does he do this often? It might be worth getting checked out if that is a common occurrence. Could you get some curtains or put something in the window to block his view I know you said the windows have blinds that you can't really adjust just trying to figure out something to put there so he can't see outside especially if the stray cats presence is causing him to be yowling.
If this is just him wanting attention the best way would be ignoring it. It will take a few nights but it works. I understand being in an apartment building with noise ordinances so I can definitely understand that being hard to do.. would you be able to talk to your neighbors and let them know that for the next week you are going to try to get him to stop the behavior so his yowling will be constant for a little bit? He might do it for about 10 minutes he might go on for an hour.. each time but if you are able to ignore him without the neighbors getting mad and reporting it I think it might help..
About the stray cat can you get a deterrent like one of these to put outside your window? They are both motion activated and are harmless but the stray cat won't like the puff of air or getting sprayed with water

Amazon.com

Amazon.com
Pumpkin was seen by his vet about 11 months ago, so he is due for another checkup. I need to arrange for special transportation to take him to a nearby city so he could have heart tests. His vet said during his last appointment that Pumpkin may have an irregular heartbeat. I had trouble finding someone who does these tests - there are none in this county but the one closest to it. And I need a special wheelchair bus to take us. I filled out the paperwork and am waiting for it to got through so I an schedule the appointment.

Pumpkin makes that noise off and on and always has since I've known him. It seems to be like "ok Mommy I used my box" instead of something like pain. He eats and drinks good. His constipation isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. He doesn't act unwell. He still plays like a kitten at times and is probably around 13 or 14.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin makes that noise off and on and always has since I've known him. It seems to be like "ok Mommy I used my box" instead of something like pain
I can relate to this my kitty will meow at me make sure I look at her then she will walk over to her litterbox do her business then come back and meow at me again.. she is a talker for sure though lol I can tell her different meows meant for different things.

His constipation isn't nearly as bad as it used to be
But he could be yowling when he is having a bad day for his constipation maybe?? I'm glad it isn't as bad as it used to be.
Either way when you are able to get him to the vet I would just bring up the fact that he does meow when he goes just so they can run some tests to be sure. At least that is what I would recommend
Is he neutered by chance?

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live in subsidized housing so I get what you say about the numerous rules!

The yowling lately? I would ask the local TNR groups and/or call my apartment manager about the stray cat.

My boy is a talkative cat. He had severe separation anxiety as a kitten so it made training him to let me sleep difficult (I couldn’t just lock him out of my bedroom.) So instead I fed him at midnight plus some dry food (he was 4 months old) and once I went to sleep I played dead. Even if he woke me up, I ignored him; huddling under my blankets instead. If he got on my face I blew a puff of air on him, then ignored him. It worked. A playtime & meal before bed helped so much. It took Jackie 2 months to really get bedtime but the first 2 weeks were the hard ones.

I know they say ignore the cries but I was worried about getting a noise complaint from his bathroom yodeling (my building is for seniors & people over 40 with disabilities!) So instead I talked back to him and called him to me. It worked! It shut him up in a couple of minutes instead of screaming his head off for an hour. Luckily he finally realized his human was stupid when it came to cat speak; now he carries his favorite toy in his mouth and yodels as he walks to me. As soon as I see him he drops his toy and I go girt a wand toy. Turns out his bathroom yodeling was because he wants to play

The rushing the front door or back door? Do you have a harness you can take him out in? I would also try a penny can for the door rushing & giving him a cat tree by the door…. If you can. Train him to go up into the tree with lots of praise and love (& even treats.) Plus all penny can shaking stops if he gets up in the tree.

If you can safely get out (may be after locking your cat in the bedroom) I would try to scare the Tom cat away. I’m assuming your cat is fixed? If there is a cat in heat in your building you need to fix her. There are many low cost spay/neuter clinics in the states.
I give Pumpkin 24/7 access to his food, water and toys. I've been trying to get him to sleep with me on our bed but there are times when he acts like he just wants his space. I'm concerned that if I ignore him the howling will get worse.

Pumpkin has toys all over the house and is quite spoiled. I purchased yet another "kitty can't cope sack" yesterday, which is a burlap square filled with catnip. You can probably find it online. He played with it briefly but Pumpkin seems to prefer to play with his laser light toy.

I don't have a harness so I can take him for walks and I'd be concerned about not being able to control him should we encounter other dogs and cats outside. I tried to get him to let me put him in a wearable baby carrier but he fussed so I gave up on it.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't even think about that as a possibility. This is definitely something to be mindful of because if there are females in your building that are not spayed and your boy isn't neutered he can smell them when they go in heat. A male cat can smell a female in heat from a good distance away. If he isnt neutered and a female cat does go in heat this will explain him trying to rush the door. I attached a link that has some information.

[/URL]
No, my little boy was fixed by whoever had him before me. They had his paws declawed too, which angers me. Pumpkin was abandoned by his previous owner and I found him wandering around an apartment building I used to live in. I adopted him over 10 years ago.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can relate to this my kitty will meow at me make sure I look at her then she will walk over to her litterbox do her business then come back and meow at me again.. she is a talker for sure though lol I can tell her different meows meant for different things.

But he could be yowling when he is having a bad day for his constipation maybe?? I'm glad it isn't as bad as it used to be.
Either way when you are able to get him to the vet I would just bring up the fact that he does meow when he goes just so they can run some tests to be sure. At least that is what I would recommend
Is he neutered by chance?
Yes, Pumpkin was fixed before I got him.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you ignore his yowling it will eventually end. It may take a couple weeks to completely subside but it will end. Because he won't be in his mind "rewarded" for the yowling meaning not getting attention from you.
If you can talk to your neighbors and explain you are working with him and for a little bit they might hear him at night but you are trying to break a bad habit..
Just see if they can not report you because you need to try to get him to stop and to do so you have to ignore that behavior completely. Every night no matter what no matter how long. He will learn ok I'm not getting any response and it will stop. You have to be consistant and not waiver one bit or it will cause a set back in any progress he is making.

Also when you take him to the vet you might want them to check him for arthritis because of him being declawd it changes a way a cat naturally walks. Cats usually walk on their toe tips and nails and when they are declawd they kind of go flat footed is the best way i can explain it, and it causes issues later in life which I'm sure you know I'm so sorry your little guy was declawd before you got him.. it's so sad.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dante had a regular meow and then around 5 months old he invented this headache inducing nails scraping on chalkboard scream. I trained him to use his regular meow by over responding to the smallest meow and blatantly ignoring his headache meows. Soon he completely forgot the scream meow.