Introducing a new cat into the home but now he has ear mites 😭

CleoNAURRr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To start I already have a 2year old female cat I’ve had since she was a kitten, I wanted to get another cause she seemed bored so I adopted a 7month old male cat on 5/4. He’s been separated in my guest bathroom since 5/4 because we wanted to slowly introduce them. I had a gut feeling something was wrong so I took him to the vet yesterday and it turns out he has ear mites. They gave him a round of revolution and said I should be good to go in 2 weeks but I feel so cruel leaving him in the bathroom for so much longer. Is there anything I can do? I feel like he’s gonna end up sad or something being in this bathroom for 2-3 weeks.

Lennybells

I’m a slave to my furry master
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor kitty! That’s a hassle. If he has to stay in there I guess he has to stay in there. Maybe put some toys and switch them out with different toys to make things interesting? Hope your kitty gets better soon!

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At least you found it out before you introduced him to your other cat. Otherwise, you most likely would have had to have both cats on revolution.That might be the only way to have him out of the bathroom. Is it worth it for a couple of weeks? There are some vets that would want to treat them both now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CleoNAURRr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At least you found it out before you introduced him to your other cat. Otherwise, you most likely would have had to have both cats on revolution.That might be the only way to have him out of the bathroom. Is it worth it for a couple of weeks? There are some vets that would want to treat them both now.
I forgot to mention I did give her a dose of revolution as well but ya seems like his only option is to ride it out in there

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Those two weeks will hopefully fly by! Definitely good both were treated. When it happened with mine, both were treated. Congratulations on your new family member

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CleoNAURRr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!! Do you clean their ears yourself? My lil girl has clean ears but his are really dirty due to the mites but won’t let me get in there to clean

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeh ear mites can feel like potting soil in their ears, it is a telltale sign. Feels gritty. So what is in them is usually very dark in color and they will look very dirty. I can clean her ears, but the trick with her is to try to do things as quickly as possible.She does not like anything done to her. She is under the impression that she is in control.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could probably get a vet tech appointment as well for them to do it, but as he could need multiple cleanings its more cost effective to find a way to do the job at home.Maybe enlist a helper to help you.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have left kittens in a large bathroom for much longer than your new little boy will be confined. As was suggested, make sure he is comfortable and has some diversion and visits from you. It is not always a bad idea to give a new cat a more confined space as they get used to their new home regardless of the reason.