Indoor Cat Got Out And Is Now Hissing At Other Cat

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of our indoor cats got outside for about 20 minutes tonight. Found him at the door of our downstairs neighbor and, after bringing him back indoors, he was really spooked. Ever since, he is hissing and growling at our other cat who he had otherwise never had an issue with, mostly when he had tried to play with him. We have them separated right now. My guess is he just was really scared outside and lost some sense of confidence? Wondering how to proceed with them. Thanks!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perfectly normal. He is totally stressed out and smells different so doesn't recognize your other cat. Once he realizes taht everything is OK in his world again he will calm down. That takes time, but he should be fine in a day or two. Give him lots of strokes and treats.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phew! So glad that you got your boy back!! I concur with the confidence building and treats as well as doing re-introductions. I would also add groomings for both cats as both comfort and scent swapping. Include a few strokes of the comb or brush on your own hair as well - family, right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice and articles everyone. Cobalt spent the night in the bedroom alone with us. Let them back to their normal routine this morning and it went better. Rigby tried playing with him a couple of times. Cobalt was kind of meh on it and only gave one small hiss in the beginning. played with them, did a treat puzzle with them. Seems to be getting a bit back to normal. Cobalt isn't as spooked and it's feeling more secure in his environment again. :-) man, it was only 20 minutes!!
Edit: just after posting this, Cobalt went to Rigby and started cleaning him and cuddling.

Last edited: