High Protein Food Trial

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last year our 8-year-old cat, Nym, developed diabetes. I did hours and hours of research over months of time. We talked to the vet, did blood tests, spent thousands of dollars, tried multiple different foods, gave daily insulin injections, and in the end... he still passed away. We aren't sure if he had cancer or what it may have been, but when I read that high carbs and low protein may be a cause for diabetes in cats and I saw that his Purina Cat Chow had 36% carbs and only 34% protein I realized just how many dry foods weren't adequate for diabetic cats. In fact, diabetic cats should have 50% or more protein and below 5% carbs ideally.

That's when I started a long series of food trials with my own kitties and the kitties of my clients. I pet-sit and they gave me permission to see if their cats liked the foods I tried. They always had their own food available as well and the new foods weren't introduced in a way that caused an upset stomach (it was more like a treat or snack). I would weigh the food before and after to see how much they ate.
That being said... it wasn't exactly scientific as the initial weights varied, the time they had the food varied (from an hour to two or more days), the number of cats that could eat the food at a time ranged from just one to over 20, and sometimes the scale glitched sometimes. But I still learned so much from it!!

First off, wet food (canned, raw, fresh, re-moistened freeze-dried, etc) is probably the best diet for any cat, but especially diabetic cats prone to dehydration. But dry foods can be very useful for picky cats, as treats, during traveling, at night if your cat wants to graze, or while you are away at work. Cats want multiple small meals, and dry food lasts out in a bowl far longer than wet food and MUCH longer than raw food.

I chose to study foods above 38% protein as-fed (generally), including extruded kibbles, baked kibbles, air-dried, freeze-dried, and cold-pressed. Unfortunately I couldn't find any cold-pressed foods in the United States, but there are some good options in Europe. I worked with over 40 cats so I got a chance to trial kitties of various backgrounds, ages, and health statuses including up to 20 years old! Genny, Nym, and Nocturne (our own kitties) helped out. Genny has CKD and hyperthyroidism, Nocturne has IBD, and Nym had diabetes.

I'll post links to the files I made that showed the percents the cats ate and the nutritional comparisons of the foods as well as their price and other useful information.

I tried to use poultry-based foods so they compared more easily, but some of them had fish, pork, beef, rabbit, etc.

Its important to note that freeze-dried food has far lower moisture content in general than dry kibble (5% instead of 10%) and often far higher fat and protein content. Comparing freeze-dried, air-dried, and kibbled foods on a dry-matter basis (without water) allows you to see them on a one-to-one basis. The guaranteed analysis alone can't be compared usually.

I haven't finished my trials, but I wanted to post my initial results after so many months of weighing cat food : )

In the end the cats generally chose Crave, Diamond Naturals, Dr. Elsey's, Farmina N&D, Go!, Orijen, Solid Gold, Tiki Cat, and TimberWolf as their favorite kibbles. They also liked Essence, Instinct Ultimate Protein, and Wellness Core.

I didn't get to complete my Earthborn test, despite Genny really liking it, because she got so sick on it that I didn't want to keep using that bag for other cats in case it had gone bad. She did really like the flavor though (ate 100% of it in one night).

They chose Fresh is Best, Furry Wonder, Instinct Freeze-dried Raw, McLovin's, Northwest Naturals, Pet-ever, Redford Naturals, Smallbatch, Steve's Real Food, and Wysong Archetype were favorite freeze-dried foods. Some also enjoyed Stella & Chewy's.

They chose Smack as a favorite air-dried, though Nym did like Catit for awhile before his nausea made him stop.

Some I accidentally got that weren't what I wanted included Hound & Gatos, Made by Nacho, and Lotus which was lower protein than the others (it was early on, before I had laid out the rules I wanted). Also, I and Love and You Chicken + Duck is much lower in protein than the Digestive Support and Love, Nala Beef is much lower than Love, Nala Chicken (which I didn't expect). Finally, Only Natural Pet Rawnibs turned out not to be a complete and balanced food (can only be used as a treat or supplement).
And the Instinct Raw Beef was actually a dog food, though many of the cats loved it : )

Cat Food Trial Data

About the Foods Trialed

Initial Results

Feel free to share your cats favorite dry foods! Or least favorite!

Ella Spell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Every time I've done high protein or grain-free my cats get crystals from the phosphate and magnesium. We have hard water here so that adds even more phosphate if we wet the food or they drink a lot from the fountain, which they all like to do. One of my cats gets constipated too. The vet is always telling me that cats need a bit of grains and I'm currently supposed to be giving them all "low protein" food (e.g., Royal Canin S/O) but the vet has yet to sell me any after me phoning for three weeks asking for it. I'm confused because all my research says high protein is better because of the obligate carnivore thing, but the vet says it's bad for their kidneys.

Also I'm not in USA so the brands you're listing aren't even available here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Animal protein can be high in phosphates unfortunately. That being said, high protein foods don't necessarily have to be. Phosphates are often added as bone meal, fish meal (whole ground fish), and such things as pyrophosphate. I have seen low magnesium high protein foods as well.

Vets often suggest low protein food unfortunately, but this isn't backed by much research on cats but instead on rats and humans, and even in humans reducing protein is controversial. Many studies are done on cats with part of their kidney removed, which isn't an accurate example of an elderly, CKD cat. And many studies also reduced phosphorus and sodium instead of just protein.

As far as grain, while it isn't in itself "evil", it can lead to alkaline urine which has been shown in carnivores to produce crystals. Not only that, but the high starch and sugar content isn't very healthy for blood sugar. Unless your cat already has advanced kidney disease, they shouldn't be on a kidney diet since the reduced protein can lead to health problems (muscle wasting being a top one).

What country do you live in? I have a list of cat food brands from around the world I can try referencing. I couldn't trial all these foods but I did some research on them.

I certainly don't have all the answers though. And the subject has so many opposing opinions! But I have seen so many cats on low protein veterinary diets that were obese with poor hair coats, terribly diseased teeth, diabetes, and other health problems that I don't think the low protein diet is the answer.

Have you tried phosphorus binders?

Ella Spell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi and thanks for the detailed info.

I'm in Canada. No Chewy, no Petco. Just Petsmart and Amazon, really. There are a few little shops but they're crazy expensive.

I have five cats to feed on a single disability income.

Age 20 - History of pancreatitis, UTI, crystals, has weakened kidneys and a bit of heart trouble.
I'm not sure if he has crystals right now or not.
He's supposed to be on kidney food / low protein.

Age 4 - History of crystals and very bad UTI when she was 2.
She'd been raised on Tiki Cats and Stella's treats (grain free).
Her spleen was so enlarged they nearly removed it, but I guess that was UTI rather than the crystals.
She went on Royal Canin S/O for about a year.
I gave up because she seemed sluggish and I hated the ingredient list.

Age 3 - History of UTI. Not sure about crystals (I'd have to check back, but I don't think so.)
She shared the Royal Canin S/O just to be safe.

Age 1 female - Poops on the floor. Likely constipation but we aren't sure.
Had a UTI when I got her.
Trying to get urine sample for a crystal test.
In the meantime I'm supposed to give her more grains for fibre. (Eye roll).

Age 1 male - Had a UTI as a kitten.
Diagnosed UTI and trace crystals three weeks ago.
Vet said to give him low protein but I keep calling to order it and didn't get it yet.

I'm not keen on Royal Canin or any of the vet brands.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some of the brands I have listed in Canada are:
- 1st Choice Nutrition
- Acana and Orijen
- Acr1um Holistic
- Adore
- Aime Kitchen
- Amore
- Boreal
- Carna4
- Catit (air-dried is a good high protein option)
- Dave's Pet Food
- Firstmate
- Go!
- Harlow Blend
- Heart to Tail (Aldi)
- Nature's Hug
- Nutram
- Nutrience (the subZero is a good high protein option)
- Nu-Way
- Open Farm (they have freeze-dried options)
- Performatrin (Peformatrin ultra has some nice high protein options)
- PetKind
- PureBites
- Smack (great for diabetic cats)
- Zeal Canada

I'm not from Canada so I don't know how available these are or how easy they are to find. And I definitely get how hard it can be to work with-in your price range. Hopefully this list can help though.

Ella Spell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you.

I have to be honest. I've never seen or heard of any of those, despite the fact I spend hours searching for high protein cat food (only to be told time and again not to use it ...)

I'll check them out and get back to you!

Thanks again!

By the way I do have prescription food insurance for them at $500 / year each, but it only covers the big vet brands that I hate.

CatEng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a CKD cat eating Dr Elsey's and he was doing fine on it, actually started to get better on it (gained weight and had more appetite). It's sporadically available at Petsmart.