Cleaning Feral Cat's Bum

kouie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My semi-feral cat has made amazing progress. I can give her back scratches and let me place a gloved hand on her rare. Recently I noticed that there was a smaller than pea size of dried poop stuck to her butthole. I waited a few days to see if she was able to clean it. Unfortunately it's still there. I recently tried to brush it off with a gloved hand during her petting session. It's a bit stubborn and she will immediately walk away if I try to mess with it. Any tips to remove it?

I tried a damp towel and she immediately ran away because it was not something she's familiar with and wouldn't come near me again when I was holding it. I was able to make the most progress with a gloved hand, but just brushing it doesn't seem to make it budge. My mom suggested using some water to rehydrate it so it loosens off her skin. Not sure how to go about doing that since just spraying it won't do and towel will freak her out.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It is just a wild stab in the dark, but maybe put some olive oil (room temp or a bit warmer, not cold) on the glove and then see if she will let you pet/groom her in the area where the poop is stuck. Hopefully, the oil will help loosen it some, and maybe she will lick off the oil?

I am sure others will come along soon with some ideas, and I will keep thinking about other possibilities.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is it stuck to her fur, or the actual anus? Not to be graphic, but is it stuck to the "hole", or the area around it? (Sorry to be gross!) Has she had a bowel movement since you've noticed it?
If you're able to see, does the area look sore, red, or inflamed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kouie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's not stuck on her fur. Most of it is stuck on the skin at the area above her hole. It's possible that part of it is stuck in the groove near her hole, which is making it lodged and possibly sensitive when I try to mess with it. She had bowel movements and normal poops. She does groom the area as well. The color of her hole looks fine. Doesn't look red or inflamed at the moment.

I don't have olive oil, but tried using some coconut oil. I was able to add a bit, but I think I missed and got her fur instead. She wouldn't allow me to touch her rare with the gloved hand again. I'll try again with a drenched q-tip tomorrow.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's not stuck on her fur. Most of it is stuck on the skin at the area above her hole. It's possible that part of it is stuck in the groove near her hole, which is making it lodged and possibly sensitive when I try to mess with it. She had bowel movements and normal poops. She does groom the area as well. The color of her hole looks fine. Doesn't look red or inflamed at the moment.

I don't have olive oil, but tried using some coconut oil. I was able to add a bit, but I think I missed and got her fur instead. She wouldn't allow me to touch her rare with the gloved hand again. I'll try again with a drenched q-tip tomorrow.
The Q-tip is a very good idea. It will be easier to hide it in your hand. 😺
If she likes to be pet, I'd pet her with one hand to distract her and see if you can loosen the relevant area up while she's more focused on being pet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kouie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a fabulous update! My kitty's bum is free from her tiny brown friend. It really did the trick. The area where the poop was stuck is a bit pink from irritation, but she should be fine. Thank you for all the help!