Zoe's first heat cycle... ack!

kattenyajen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, we got Zoe about 15 days ago. Seems crazy we've had her for 2 weeks already, but that's besides the point.

Due to wonky hours, we weren't able to get her into the vet until the 28th or 29th (its written in my wallet, but regardless)

So. She's officially about 6 mos old, healthy, has her first shots (booster on the 28th of this month). And, after talking to lady we got her from, found out before now, she hasn't had a heat cycle (then again, she was froze and starved when they found her, so maybe thats not surprising)

Anyways. We will be getting her fixed this month, the clinic I'm taking her to opens up again monday and I'll be calling to set up her appointment to get fixed. (unless she has to wait until her booster is done, in which case it will be next month. depends what the office says)

For now though, she seems to be in full blown heat. Its confusing our fixed male Floyd (who, somehow, figured out how to try and mate with her, though ineffective. lol) and its driving her batty. She can get to the window by the table no problem, and sits there for hours. When she's not meowling around the house. There's no way to stop her from getting to the window, and if there are blinds she finds a way around them.

Don't get me wrong, its no where NEAR as bad as I have heard before, but today seems to be the 'holy cow' day. Went from cute little meows and purrows to .. well. the weirdest meow I've heard.

I know its all a part of nature, but is there anything we can do to make her a little less upset that she can't get outside?
I feel bad for our poor girl...

If I could reassure her that she won't likely have this issue again, I would, but sadly I don't quite speak cat that well

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ah, so she's demonstrating the "dirty kitty dance" for you!

No worse than having a teenager around, I figure.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Putting her in a quiet, darkened room can help calm her a bit - doesn't always work but especially as this is her first heat it shouldn't be very strong.

One of my neuter boys always knows days before that girls will call and he tries to help them out, he's always proud of his efforts

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kattenyajen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
haha well so far Floyd (for a cat who was fixed at the shelter as a kitten before ever even remotely knowing what lady kitty bits were) has figured out everything except that a girl cats parts are UNDER her tail, not on her back (she's also really long bodied)

They're litterally just walking around the house humping. Making contented noises. Its... almost creepy. She doesn't try to get away, and seems a bit happier (eck...)

But yeesh. Can't say I've ever had a male and female cat in the same house......

Regardless, so that they can sleep, we're going to keep one in our room tonight and the other in the rest of the house.

They only break to fall into a cuddle puddle and start grooming each other.

Again, cute, but.. *shudders* Didn't need to see our kitten and our cat going at it..

Side note: I'm calling on monday (like I said) but, i'm assuming she'll have to be out of her heat cycle before she gets fixed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kattenyajen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We can't stop laughing.

They break for a bit, and every time Zoe walks by Floyd (who is laying down) he puts a paw around her and licks her face before letting her keep going....

And now he's eating and she's rolling around on her back doing the 'dirty kitty dance'

*gigglesnort*

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know this isn't funny for you, but I couldn't stop laughing, either, the way you described the "events" taking place.

Hope it passes quickly for you! (and them
)

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some vets will spay when a cat is in heat.....depends on the vet's comfort level. Everything is more inflammed/there is more blood, so it can be riskier. I'd definitely talk to them about it, and be very careful that she cannot possibly slip outside! They often say to keep 2 doors b/w the kitty in heat & the great outdoors, it only takes 2 seconds for them to sneak out.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet prefers to wait 10 days from when she begins calling (if you wait too long she'll just go back into heat!). . .another vet told me that spaying a cat in heat is no big deal. So it depends on your vet. Give them a call and see what they prefer.