YUCK! mold on canned cat food

stefond

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wedn morning I opened a fresh can of Friskies Classic Pate cat food, gave my cat a spoonful, covered the can and put in the fridge. When I got home that evening she had been vomitting all over, was very weak; by the next day she was dead. When I pulled the covered can of cat food out of the fridge the following week it had ~2" of blackish silver hair growing out of it. When I left it out overnite it grew to about 5". I have called Ralston Purina to notify them of this, they asked for pics to be sent to their QA dept but I have heard nothing from them. I have called Consumer Protection, Dept of Ag, have had no luck, nobody wants to test it or even seem to be concerned with it.
I would like to attach a pic to see if anyone else has ever experienced something like this, but dont see on here where I can. Any help?

woofendog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Opened a can of the same this morning with best before date of July 2013. Full of mold on surface. Manufacturer has been notified. Have used this brand for twenty or so years with no problems. First time for everyting so check carefully before serving. Would have liked to attach picture. How does that work?

giggykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is what we found this morning from our Friskies canned food (purple trays) - we are calling the company we still have 10 unopened cans.....my poor Gig.....

giggykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We found the same stuff in Gigs food the other day.....we are pissed!!! here is a pic of what we found....does this look similar??? were u using the purple trays???

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely report these things to the FDA, the manufacturer, and the store from which you bought the food. I would also report incidents such as these to my veterinarian, in case they see cats coming in with complaints but can't sleuth out the cause.

Here's the direct link to the FDA's Safety Reporting Portal.

Regards!

AC

Last edited:

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't consider anything I've said a "rant." I just have an opinion. And my opinion is that "stuff happens" is hardly an acceptable excuse for tainted food.

I happen to think that manufacturers, small or large, should be held accountable. And the penalties for not following the food processing mandates - for any food - human or animal - should be severe. And I don't think they are so severe for animal food, because animals are treated as property most of the time, and they don't have rights to things like decent food. And I think that is wrong. But I realize I'm tilting at windmills in this world as my values are not that widely shared. I would think that people who frequent this site would be outraged that such garbage is being sold as cat food. I started this (somehow) with simply stating how outrageous this is.

Mold on food can and does kill on occasion. It is not worth the risk to eat moldy food. People take risks with their food all the time, and they sometimes suffer bad consequences. It is foolish.

I'm using the word "manufacturer" as meaning the company that produces the food. I think you knew that. I do realize that one plant may produce many brands. That's common knowledge. The manufacturer should be held responsible, as well as individual plants. The penalties should be severe.

That's what I think. I think what I think is right. And that's all I have to say on the subject. You won't convince me otherwise.

Robin
Herein lies the problem Robin.  I agree with much of what you have said so far.  The manufacturing of ANY food, human or pet is very serious business.  One mistake and thousands of people or pets are affected by it and sometimes the consequences are dire.  I had a friend die from Botulism and it was an extremely painful way for her to go.   This is why I work for the company I do.  They do all of their own manufacturing.  Nutro owns and operates all of their own plants.  They can trace every single ingredient in all of the food back to the original supplier.  The plants are inspected constantly and each batch is put through 600 tests before it hits the shelves.  Nutro is willing to be accountable for it's products. There are a few others that make their own food as well but most farm out the manufacturing to 3rd parties and I don't know how much control there is when it comes to ingredients, canning, testing etc. I would think very little.  One very well known, and very popular brand which is discussed here often has 6 different manufacturers.  6 !!! 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Herein lies the problem Robin.  I agree with much of what you have said so far.  The manufacturing of ANY food, human or pet is very serious business.  One mistake and thousands of people or pets are affected by it and sometimes the consequences are dire.  I had a friend die from Botulism and it was an extremely painful way for her to go.   This is why I work for the company I do.  They do all of their own manufacturing.  Nutro owns and operates all of their own plants.  They can trace every single ingredient in all of the food back to the original supplier.  The plants are inspected constantly and each batch is put through 600 tests before it hits the shelves.  Nutro is willing to be accountable for it's products. There are a few others that make their own food as well but most farm out the manufacturing to 3rd parties and I don't know how much control there is when it comes to ingredients, canning, testing etc. I would think very little.  One very well known, and very popular brand which is discussed here often has 6 different manufacturers.  6 !!! 
That does not exclude them from problems, which is how they were still involved in the Melamine Recall in 2007.
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/petfoodrecall/
Cat Food Recalls (includes)
Nutro
Nutro Max Cat Gourmet Classics
Nutro Max Gourmet Classics
Nutro Natural Choice
Nutro Products

Last edited:

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In addition, it takes only the tiniest pinhole in the sealant on a can to allow enough air in and allow mold to grow.

Having seen how food gets handled in shipping, I'm surprised we don't have more problems!

Also that was a good point about Nutro being involved in the melamine disaster.  It's not uncommon for companies to think they know their entire supply chain, only to discover that somebody far down the list has falsified source documents.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the first time I ever remember, a couple days ago I opened a can of spoiled, moldy, and very stinky cat food. Since I've been opening cans of cat food for over 50 years, that's not too bad.

I reported it to the retailer and manufacturer. There is no reported issue with the brand or lot. Though the can seemed fine, it must have been damaged at some point by handling. The manager at the large pet retailer said that isolated incidents like this happen with every brand.

The can was replaced. The manufacturers rep is sending me coupons. And I learned something - one bad can does not a bad product or manufacturer make.

Robin

Last edited: