yowling

olddancer1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I too have an old boy, Skeeter, and he yowls at night...most nights. I have not had a full nights sleep for about 8 months now. I do wish he wouldn't do that but I know that this old man is so attached to me that all I have to do is pick him up and put him in bed with me and he goes back to sleep..which I love and his purring..aaaaah so good. When I do feel a bit annoyed I just think..when he is gone I would give my eye teeth to have him yowling at night. :)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since he has been doing this for about 8 months have you had him to the vet to be sure he is healthy and doing ok?  Also is he neutered?

There also might be other cats outside your property that he sees/hears or smells.  He may be responding to them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

olddancer1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh yes he goes to the vet on a regular bases and there are no other cats around my area. He's just old, 17, and has earned the right to do whatever he wants..:) thank you for your input..[emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji]

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes when they get older they get a form of senility and are actually 'lost' at night in their own home. My cat has done it too for a few years, but usually quits after a few minutes. You are very understanding and will surely be blessed for loving that senior.

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Heh, we have a relative youngster who sometimes does a bit of night yowling, though mostly it's not really yowling I guess.  Sometimes it's because of a toy she's gone after, but other times she seems to have that lost/senility sort of thing going on.  We have night lights on around the areas they'd be in so it's not entirely dark, but that doesn't seem to help with this one.  She just goes through certain routines where she gets vocal.

Sometimes the night yowling relates to hyperthyroid, though.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a watch out for any weight loss and/or have him tested for this if he hasn't been.

Another possibility in an old cat is going deaf!   Amber did this when she got old, she went through a spate of night yowling that then stopped after a while.  I discovered it was somewhat common behavior for cats who went deaf to go through a stage like that, and sure enough she seemed to be not hearing anymore.  She had adapted fine though and was around for a couple more years with no hearing.  This was the thing that prompted us to leave on a light and then later get nightlights in the first place.  Then  we left the nightlights on for ourselves after she left us.   We also took to stomping on the floor a bit harder than usual when walking up to her, so as to attempt not to startle her.