You're in my spot.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
So.. daily, I have to pull a "You're in my spot" with Cassie.

We both favor a section of the couch more than the other side. If I claim it first, and get up for whatever reason.. BOOM, she's there. And she knows I'd only move her by the way she crouches down and clings to the slip-cover! It's like she saying "Nuh-uh! You got up.. Losers weepers! Sit on the other side!"

Most of the time we'd compromise and she'd sit on my lap, even if I have a tray of food!. 

Does anyone else's cats fight you for a particular spot??

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Absolutely.  I tend to sit in one particular spot on our couch.  It's near the lamp and since I'm frequently on the laptop while watching tv, I need the light.  Seems like every time I get up to make dinner, go to the bathroom, whatever - Casper will get up from wherever he might be and grab my pillow and settle in.  I'm not sure if it's because the area is a bit warmer than where  he was, or he likes my scent, or he's just into stealing my space lol (which of course, I realize it isn't).

We just brought in one of the porch chairs to the living room for the winter - it's wicker, has an ottoman and he's been hanging out on that quite a bit so maybe I'll be safe until April or May 

Last edited:

thelifeofzeus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everyday, cute little thing is just sleeping on my couch. I don't move him, I sit somewhere else. Claim it, it's yours. Being cute gets you far.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Abby is my spot stealer!  However, when I`m on the couch, she will either lay on the back within arm`s reach, or on the arm behind my neck to be used as a neck roll, or on top of me.  But if I move, she takes over the whole seat!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh yeah!  We were talking about this in another thread.  The second you get up and leave a warm spot, forget about getting it back!

Just now I was working in my office.  Got up to put away some paperwork, came back to find Ozzy on my computer chair.  And what did I do?  I actually finished the email I was sending STANDING UP!  
 So sad....  LOL

Last edited:

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A little with my cat. He likes to lay beneath the arch that is the doorway to the kitchen. I mean, I could have just stepped over him, but I like to make a big deal about him being in my way. Sometimes he gets all defiant - he'd be sitting there, I'd tell him to move, and he'll plop on his side and stare up at me.

Jerk.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Abby goes through stages of where she likes to sleep. We recently had a three week stint of it being my spot on the couch. Like you, she would wait for me to get up and would jump right into my spot. :lol3:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are natural heat-seekers, and the older they get, the worse they get. Our cats look for any spot.....on us!

That being said, Bootser likes a particular spot on a chair in the living room....when she's not in the bay window, she's curled up in that spot. 

BooBoo loves the back of the couch. He always has and he will shoo other cats away from that area, depending on what kind of mood he's in. Sometimes he'll share. But not often. (He used to share all of his spots with Banshee before she passed away.)

The other kids really don't care....yet. I'm sure that, in time, they will. But really, most of the time, they like the heat from us.

The other night, we had the blanket turned on in bed. Mollipop was lying right on the blanket on my side of the bed. I went back to the bedroom with my book. Mollipop awakened, looked at me, and that look said, "Oh, I don't think so! Don't even THINK about it! You get in on Dad's side." So that's what I did. And as soon as I got comfortable, Molli says, "OK, I'm moving now!" and she got up, came over to my right side, and flopped back down. At that point, I just moved her over, moved myself to my side of the bed and settled back down. She came back over, flopped down in my arm pit and we both fell asleep.

(Actually, during the cold months, I rather like the warmth that the cats give off, so when they move away from a spot, sometimes, I'll move in. 
 Turn about is fair play!)

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: Wiggies does this all the time. He'll come for cuddles when I'm at the table and as soon as I get up he steals the seat. Never mind that there's 3 other chairs, it's got to be whatever one I was just using!

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Tony does the same thing. As soon as I get up from a corner of the couch he immediately claims it for himself! Not so much with Angel or Tippytoes.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had that years ago with the cats fighting for space at night. They all wanted to be between my legs so it was first come gets the place and the other two slept each side of me. Didn't give me much space to move. If kitty from the middle got up for any reason when said kitty came back the place had been filled.

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With my dogs all I do is snap my fingers and point to another spot and they move right away, the cats are a different story. I've tried snapping at them and all they do is stare at me like I'm stupid lol. I usually just scoop the cats up and move them to another pillow and they are fine.

My cat Moki loves to sit in my moms lap and is always right there when she sits down. My mom doesn't like making her move so she will sit there until either I come move Moki from her lap or Moki is ready to get up for some reason on her own.

Sadie likes to be right up on me when I'm at the kitchen table and will attempt to splay out on whatever I'm reading or doing. Here's a recent photo of her forcing herself on me while I'm writing lol! I can't say no can I?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
That's me right now, only with a red tabby and a keyboard... I'm pretty sure it's not very ergonomic 

caraann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tucker does this to me all of the time. While I'm on the computer, writing in my tablet, and even when I'm sitting back and reading a book.

moggymomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got Tig when I was pregnant with my daughter. I was having a lot of lower back and hip pain so once in a while I would use a heating pad or hot water bottle to ease it. The second I got up Tig would be on it like white on rice! Lol

peachy87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 10 month old kitten Jasper is the same! Even if guests are in, if they sit on his spot, he paces about and stares at them lol.